It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google loses $70 BILLION due in part to censoring "conspiracy" theories.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 2 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Alphabet had more than $70 billion in market cap wiped out, and it says YouTube is one of the problems.

On Monday, after reporting that ad revenue grew 15% versus the 24% it saw a year ago, Google’s parent company Alphabet saw its stock punished. It fell more than 8% Tuesday afternoon.

The goal was to make it harder to find videos full of conspiracy theories, fake news and all that other detritus that occasionally sent advertisers fleeing from the platform.

On top of that, YouTube has removed millions of channels and videos that violated the company’s harmful content policies, most notably Alex Jones.

But all of those garbage videos also kept engagement high.

They said that "changes" to the youtube algorithm caused lower engagement hence lower ad revenue.

These "changes" just happened to coincide with their decision to censor alternative theories and real news.

Even though these videos accounted for less than 1% of the content on the site, they were interesting enough to keep people engaged.

MILLIONS. Youtube/Google/Alphabet removed MILLIONS of channels... Thats mind blowing.

PewDiePie deals deathblow to Google and Amazon. Goes to blockchain site.

This is a real life example of "voting with your dollars", although probably unintentional.

Regardless, lets build on this momentum.

If you know of alternative sites to youtube, list them below and lets do our part to dismantle the google monopoly on information.

edit on 2-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: added link

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Reap what you sew, google et al.

makes me smile, just a little.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Good.

They'll take an even bigger hit if the commies win in 2020.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:49 PM
link   
No wonder I have been having a hard time investigating stuff with Google. They are censoring anything that goes against the BS the medical industry and pharma industry are trying to push with the support of the CDC and FDA. I need to avoid google to search with, I am not interested in just seeing what this for profit industry wants us to see, I want to decipher the truth about things. If the research does not match what they want us to know, they sensor it.

I'll just have to get a European Search engine to use, for my research.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
No wonder I have been having a hard time investigating stuff with Google. They are censoring anything that goes against the BS the medical industry and pharma industry are trying to push with the support of the CDC and FDA. I need to avoid google to search with, I am not interested in just seeing what this for profit industry wants us to see, I want to decipher the truth about things. If the research does not match what they want us to know, they sensor it.

Please try Duck Duck Go (www.duckduckgo.com). I don't believe you will be disappointed...

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Couldnt agree more. Ive noticed the same thing.

Information that used to be readily available has now become much more difficult to find.

When the information doesnt show up on google, I make sure to try yahoo, Bing, dogpile, duckduckgo etc.

edit on 2-5-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I've noticed this over the last 5 years. I have made it a habit to save those interesting things separately and even print them out.
You even had some wise words of advise for someone on here, I copied and saved it. Sometimes these
things have a way of disappearing!

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere
Surely we can help them lose double or triple that.

No "sympathy for the Devil".

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Please try Duck Duck Go (www.duckduckgo.com). I don't believe you will be disappointed...

I'm impressed, I typed in a few things I have been using google in firefox to look up and finding some of the stuff I am not able to find with google lately. Most of my searches are to identify chemistries that are similar to the chemicals in pharmaceuticals.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

I've noticed this over the last 5 years. I have made it a habit to save those interesting things separately and even print them out.
You even had some wise words of advise for someone on here, I copied and saved it. Sometimes these
things have a way of disappearing!

I save links, but do not make copies of a lot of stuff. I also study principles, which means I memorize patterns. If the internet disappears I will not be able to help anyone, because I only memorized patterns. I did tie the chemistry to things in nature and studied how plants absorb things and create chemistry quite a bit. Also, I have studied microbes and their excretions a lot and know how to use quite a few of their chemicals to treat things. A no brainer is alcohol.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

The goal was to make it harder to find videos full of conspiracy theories, fake news...

I have no problem with them going after fake news, but in this day and age, the majority of conspiracy theories are proving to be more accurate than the official stories.

Alex Jones may be considered a whack-job on many issues, but he's also spot-on with many other theories.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Good.

Alphabet agencies shouldn't be able to be smartasses and start a company called "Alphabet"

Then buy up youtube, inject spyware into all our phones and take over the whole gd internet and weaponize it against citizens.

"Google" should be shut tf down

Shutdown Facebook aka Lifelog while your at it, then remove income tax while your at it.

If the gov has enough money to burn it on weaponizing everything against taxpayers, it's time to end taxation and throw them in Gitmo.

On Google in the market, I hope the stockholders figure out who Google and probably all tech companies actually are and dump them all at once.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
I have no problem with them going after fake news,

So who determines what is and what is not "fake news"? Sounds like censorship to me.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I like my fake news, and who is anyone to tell me I can't watch it?

I demand the right to listen to lies of my choice!... I find them more creative than government lies.

(Facetious but true).

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: NightFlight

Duckduckgo is a great Google scraper, hides your ip and makes you less trackable, but it still uses Google for search results.

Cheers - Dave

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   

And We the People that Support these Bastids Should Give a Rats Behind about this Because ? 70 Billion you say ? Imagine the Uses of that Kind of Money that would Benefit Mankind in More Productive Ways if used Correctly . Ending Homelessness in America by Investing the Money in Creating New Jobs that would Enormously Help People Support themselves Without Government Assistance , Cleaning up the Environment by Retiring Congressmen and Senators by Lobbing for Term Limits to be Enacted into Law , Ending World Hunger , to Name a Few . Google Loses 70 Billion , so Freakin What ! ........

edit on 2-5-2019 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You are so totally 'over the target' on that line of thought.

The medical cartel and google are 'hand in glove' together with each other.

Can't get good honest non-biased statistical search results with google … not happening currently.

Screw those bastards for distorting the information space like they do. Hate that.

What happened to honest unbiased analytical web searching based ONLY on search words?

*crickets*

edit on 2-5-2019 by Fowlerstoad because: typo. always at least one typo ... can't type without one, seemingly

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Duckduckgo donates to leftist organizations.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 11:56 PM
link   

GOOD, they should lose billions more. They have been actively helping the Chinese suppress their own people, meanwhile suppressing the opposition's right to free speech in the U.S., as well as black listing and demonetizing anyone and everyone who they don't like "because of political differences."

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Good.

They'll take an even bigger hit if the commies win in 2020.

The commies are unlikely to get even ten percent of the vote.
The dems are absolutely finished. Such a funny outcome for such a disgusting party and it’s disgusting supporters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join