It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA head - Expect a major asteroid strike in your lifetime

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Bridenstine was speaking at the International Academy of Astronautics Planetary Defense Conference, where the make believe asteroid #2019PDC is going to impact the Earth. He had this to say:

"We have to make sure that people understand that this is not about Hollywood, it's not about movies," he said. "This is about ultimately protecting the only planet we know, right now, to host life, and that is the planet Earth."

NASA head: Expect a major asteroid strike in your lifetime

The story really does not show where Bridenstine said there will be a major asteroid strike in my lifetime. Maybe the title comes from something he said off the record or maybe it is taken from the below quote. If so I doubt it will be in my lifetime or many others, seeing Chelyabinsk happened not too long ago.

"These events are not rare; they happen," Bridenstine said, noting that one model shows we can expect an event of the same magnitude as Chelyabinsk about every 60 years.

I also found this quote interesting. There is some good info in the story and it's not a very long read.

The NASA chief also reaffirmed the agency's commitment to its recently announced goal of putting a female astronaut on the surface of the moon in 2024, and he highlighted the importance of the long-delayed Space Launch System to accomplishing the mission.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Good so we already got this taken care of in my lifetime ( Russia) tough luck suckers of the future,,

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 10:52 PM
link   
It’s definitely possible.

But that same warning has been repeated over and over for decades. Sooner or later somebody is going to be right.

It better hurry the hell up if he’s going to be right.

According to AOC we’ve only got 12 more years .

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I am not going to die tonight or within the next year or so just to prove them wrong. If I do drop dead, it is not going to be NASA's fault, unless a chunk of one of their rockets crashes down on top of me. Actually, with all the space junk up there, chances are getting way better of people getting hit by a piece of fast moving small debris from space junk. A one ounce piece traveling at a hundred miles an hour could criple or kill someone, or crash into a windshield and cause an accident.

Did that rock that cracked your windshield come from the car ahead or did it come as a gift from NASA airmail.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

The Leonids meteor shower which happens every year in November is the one that many blame for some of the large craters found on earth.. I think it was Graham Hancock that said the Leonids meteor shower was what was responsible for the extinction event 12,890 years ago ??

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I did a quick search to find a link about something like that but no luck yet. I did find this.

Although it has been suggested the Leonid meteor shower and storms have been noted in ancient times, it was the meteor storm of 1833 that broke into people's modern day awareness – it was of truly superlative strength.

One estimate of the peak rate is over one hundred thousand meteors an hour, but another, done as the storm abated, estimated in excess of 240,000 meteors during the nine hours of the storm, over the entire region of North America east of the Rocky Mountains.

Leonids

Wow, that must of been quite a sight!

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Oh okay.

Not like I can do anything about it.

See you in the Wasteland manflesh.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:28 PM
link   
How old do you have to be where the odds are less than 50% of seeing an Asteroid strike Earth?

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

If we are talking about an event like Chelyabinsk, most of us just saw one in 2013. Like WUNK22 said, we are safe now.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

The Leonids meteor shower which happens every year in November is the one that many blame for some of the large craters found on earth.. I think it was Graham Hancock that said the Leonids meteor shower was what was responsible for the extinction event 12,890 years ago ??

Actually, it was the Taurid meteor streams that are thought to be responsible for the YD extinction event.

The Taurids are an annual meteor shower, associated with the comet Encke. The Taurids are actually two separate showers, with a Southern and a Northern component. The Southern Taurids originated from Comet Encke, while the Northern Taurids originated from the asteroid 2004 TG10.[4]
Courtesy: WP

A large comet broke up 20k-30k years ago and produced the Encke remnant and many other smaller comet fragments.
The Earth passes through these streams every October and November. They are dangerous because we know that many of these fragments are capable of extreme devastation if they are ever present at the time the Earth would pass through these streams.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 01:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: 727Sky

Actually, it was the Taurid meteor streams that are thought to be responsible for the YD extinction event.

The Taurids are an annual meteor shower, associated with the comet Encke. The Taurids are actually two separate showers, with a Southern and a Northern component. The Southern Taurids originated from Comet Encke, while the Northern Taurids originated from the asteroid 2004 TG10.[4]
Courtesy: WP

A large comet broke up 20k-30k years ago and produced the Encke remnant and many other smaller comet fragments.
The Earth passes through these streams every October and November. They are dangerous because we know that many of these fragments are capable of extreme devastation if they are ever present at the time the Earth would pass through these streams.

I stand corrected as you are correct. There has also been a new branch of the Taurids shower that supposedly holds very large chunks on the order of 1200 meter sized or bigger debris.. youtu.be...

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Asteroid hitting earth funny we always find holes yet no impact what NASA won't say is anything that has the truth in it,they know that a cycle of incomming solar system comes in and destroys earth with pole flip,why they are waging war etc,the time period is any day now be aware,talk about wool over eyes

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Alternatively, Expect someone? to deploy a weaponised asteroid that look's like a natural event in your lifetime and that becomes ever more likely as more and more nation's gain the ability to reach out into space and even corporations are talking about moving mineral rich asteroid's into earth orbit in order to mine them.

Yes statistically we are in a very dangerous time given that the earth is actually over due for a naturally occurring asteroid strike BUT we are also living in a time when such a strike can be a cover for some government or rather there puppet masters own plan's to move forward, it can be a constructive action if it get's people to join together in order to save the world at least in the short term before those puppet masters then assert control over everyone having used the asteroid for just that very plan BUT it can also be destructive as it offers the same entity's the opportunity to disguise a weaponized use of an asteroid as a natural event and there will always be trigger happy lunatic's.

Remember the old monk Damocles whom according to legend would sleep under a sword suspended blade down hanging by a single thread that could break at any time every night to remind him of the ever present frailty and temporary nature of human life.

Then imagine all those lunatic's whom want to be the one's snipping that thread to drop that sword on the sleeper.
edit on 2-5-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
IOW, NASA needs money and simple exploration as a rationale for spending said money is not a good enough excuse. I would be inclined to agree to fund NASA solely on the basis that it can't hurt to fund science and technology. I feel, however, that NASA will never be well-funded enough to do the things I'd like them to do. As soon as they start talking about doing something big, they start running into shortages because that kind of thing is REAL money. Not just a little skimmed off the top of taxes.
edit on 2-5-2019 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Remember the old monk Damocles whom according to legend would sleep under a sword suspended blade down hanging by a single thread that could break at any time every night to remind him of the ever present frailty and temporary nature of human life.

The story of Damocles was a bit different than that. Damocles was a hanger on in the court of the king of Syracuse. The king, Dionysus, taught Damocles a lesson in human frailty and it was only a very short time that Damocles spent under the suspended sword.
edit on b000000312019-05-02T04:57:10-05:0004America/ChicagoThu, 02 May 2019 04:57:10 -0500400000019 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 05:02 AM
link   
NASA doing what NASA does.

They start doing a drill simulating preparation for an impact.

Then a day later, after associating their name with asteroid defense, they give you a headline saying it will happen in your lifetime.

It's all to drum up interest and money.

An impact will happen eventually, and could happen any time, but NASA saying its going to be in our lifetime is just a marketing tactic.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Thank you and you are quite correct, I did hear a story about a monk whom did that as well whom lived in a monastery in the med somewhere though and seem to have mixed the two up for some reason but it is probable that I simply have crossed memory's or something there.
Still either way the correct story or my messed up one the analogy is equally apt I feel.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Where he says "these events are not rare" .

And where geological evidence (the landshape ) found around coasts and often 10s or even 100s of miles inland on leeward escarpments (170 - 200 metres) found behind ground above sea level allowing (gross and net) inundation shows the regularity and historical recentness of mega-tsunami events . ie steep escalpations via fast moving water ingress over land found on hills at the leeward side , and flattened level harbour mouths or near levelled lowlying coastal features , eg LA Lisbon Rio etc etc Above 200m , lack of evidence of tsunami erosion , below 200m further evidence continuing exponentially to sea level , ie rolled hills at 15- 120 metres , smoothed and widened backwash areas etc etc ,
And where there's evidences found off some coastlines of the effect of (regular and or recent) massive tow of water egress from partcular landshapes causing that eg channeling / funneling below sea level. Theres also evidences of the mass movement ofpost seafloor till rushed up and dumped 100s of metres up and miles inland . given by Velikovsky / worlds in Collision etc

Hypothetically these geological evidences regarding the general and main landscape above sea level being observably shaped by regular and historically recent megatsunami events *would strongly correlate with predictive models of physical seawater behaviour ( its actions upon a or several given area of landmass) before during and after a megatsunami event caused by ateroid strike . *These potential evidence of megatsunami theory gaining upon or finding alignment with eg ice age theory and the given (here) likelihood of regular and historically recent (but randomly spread) marine penetration of asteroid strikes , may correlate with other evidence or lack thereof to be found inside continental landmasses not physically prone to megatsunami of upto or over elevation of for example about 200metres above sea level inland as a worldwide figure but that guess is based for the most part on island evidence from england and wales which would perhaps also be affected by a bathtub effect from the contentinetal shelf , unless perhaps the english channel itself was formed by extreme and sudden but relatively shortlived (1 - 10 days assuming a wordwide effect from large impact plus displacement ) but also regular (every 1500 - 5000 years) mass movement of seawater , with variable ( but variably continual with high likelihood of actual but lesser tsunami) proximal effects on local features according to the historic location and timing of each strike .

So in short hypothetically speaking these regular asteroid strikes are most likely to hit the oceans and so cause regular tsunamis which probably affect everywhere worldwide thats land below 200metres above sea level and near enough to the coast. In even shorter form we might be getting to understand why the Swiss prefer Switzerland

edit on 2-5-2019 by DoctorBluechip because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
From that wiki page:

Link

Is it just me who sees something different that might have caused that "meteor shower", in this woodcut print?

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767
It definitely is apt.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join