It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is why I believe in the death penalty

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I believe in the death penalty, but not because of a poor example of a human being.

If we start lethaly injecting people for shooting non-threats cowardly in the back, let's do it ALL across the board.
No, this incident isn't argument for the death penalty. As there are one too many caviats and circumstancial variables to take into account.

You can't just advocate for death because a news story triggered you, laws seldom get passed for those reasons.

As everyone else in the thread intelligently alluded to, there are a lot of considerations.

However, swift death penalty would thwart many many violent crimes.

Let's leave emotions out of the rationalization of something which in turn does the exact same thing it's punishing.
- killing is bad, just not when the government decides its good.

edit on 1-5-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Personally, I believe that capital punishment is an affront, even if there was a guarentee innocent people were not killed. That said, the US is not China, or Iran where capital puninishment is quite common in comparison.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

The trouble with the death penalty is we are all sentenced to it sooner or later. Some of us despite living good peaceful lives will face a long slow and painful death from something like cancer. Life just isn’t fair I’m afraid.

Also two wrongs don’t make a right, however upset or justified you might feel about it.
edit on 1-5-2019 by surfer_soul because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
America likes the death penalty. We as a people continue to vote for it. And if innocent people occasionally get killed, that's a price that we as a society are willing to pay to keep it. Just like we're willing to put 35,000 traffic accident victims in the grave each year so we can drive through and pick up some McNuggets. In most cases (obviously not the rare ones where somebody innocent is executed), Americans like the idea of payback, giving closure to victims' families, and the very low rates of recidivism.

And if you look for hypocrisy and contradiction, you'll find it. But the law still stands.

Personally, I think my ex-wife was right when she said ship all the hardcore criminals to Siberia and pay the Russians pennies a day to house them. Stick them in the middle of nowhere where it's 3000 miles to the nearest paved road, and let them do whatever they want. The Russians wouldn't even have to build walls.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

You can't just advocate for death because a news story triggered you, laws seldom get passed for those reasons.

Yes this story was personal. It however is not the only reason. I have always believed/supported the Death penalty.

This is not one sided either.
I am related to someone that was put to death for multiple murders. I believe it was just in that case too.

Let's leave emotions out of the rationalization of something which in turn does the exact same thing it's punishing.

Absolutely not the same thing. One is a just action one is not.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

If you can not be a lawful contributing member of society, you can't be in society. No anger, no hate, they just need to go.

My exact sentiments!

As I mentioned above, I had a relative (not blood) that was sentenced to death for multiple murders.
It was justified, he needed to go.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Wouldn't those who are against the death penalty would also be against using the military to kill in the mid east over religion, energy or terror attacks.

I doubt all are true to that belief.

edit on 5/1/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: JAGStorm

How about those who are executed but later found to have been innocent ?

Use Crisper and some of their DNA to rebuild them and bring them back to life. Give them some starter cash.

Edit:
But, the death penalty should be abolished, but there should be a one month "open session" before the criminal is picked up. This gives the family or the village a chance to get revenge. This would be real closure for the victims loved ones.
edit on 1-5-2019 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Wouldn't those who are against the death penalty would also be against using the military to kill in the mid east over religion, energy or terror attacks.

I think I would be one of those.
We should put killing other humans into the hands of more intelligent AI, and leave this job for them to decide.
Everyone would have to just be good to each other or Godgle will send a drone to kill you.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin

Revenge? No, not suggesting that at all...I believe in justice, case by case. And, killing a guy is " POOF-Gone"....teaches them nothing....

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

And if innocent people occasionally get killed, that's a price that we as a society are willing to pay to keep it

So what you’re saying is murder is wrong and so should be punished with murder even when the accused maybe innocent because you get to keep the death penalty?

Some logic there...

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

You're debating apples and oranges. Are you equating countries going to war with each other over economic, political or religious reasons with some twisted long haul trucker who likes to rape, murder and bury runaway girls in shallow graves?

Still, in one way you're right. Most people sincerely don't like either war or the death penalty. However, a lot of people feel that sometimes you gotta do things you really don't want to do in order to move forward.

Come up with some better options. We'd all like to hear them.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: surfer_soul
So what you’re saying is murder is wrong and so should be punished with murder even when the accused maybe innocent because you get to keep the death penalty?

Some logic there...

What's your option? A psycho slaughters your 10-year old boy. No question. He ain't innocent. So maybe you want to watch this guy and pay for him to sit in prison for the remaining decades of his life, enjoying food, watching baseball on TV, talking with friends, and so on, just like your boy would have liked to do, except for the fact that psycho killed him?

Good for you. I guess you get the moral high ground.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Come up with some better options. We'd all like to hear them.

Personally I can think of worse punishments than death. Your imaginations are lacking.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:16 PM
link   

9-11, terrorists kill people. Shouldn't the no death penalty people just go with "Oh well, another crime". They should be against sending an army to attack people who helped do it.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Ok.
Can you see how that line is sometimes fuzzy, as has been seen in this thread?

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

I didn’t realise Iraq had any involvement in 9/11?

You might want to check up on what the definition of a pacifist is.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: surfer_soul

Started in Afghanistan - training camps. Anyway, just an example of military use to execute for a crime.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I believe in the death penalty in cases where someone is a serial killer or has committed mass killings. A quick execution after they are found guilty. As long as there is enough evidence to show they are actually the killer.

Crimes of passion, maybe after twenty years they may reform, but even then, if the person has no conscience or could never be trusted to be in society again, then away to the gas chamber with them.

Serial rapists, chop off their nuts so they cannot rape anyone anymore. Off with their second head.

Keeping these people in prison so they can corrupt other prisoners is not a good thing in my mind.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

did you not even read the op?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join