It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any interest in a "meme" themed forum?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

a reply to: Malisa

The difference is that art is supposed to exist by itself, while a meme is supposed to be related to something else, that's why many memes are completely useless to people that are not familiar with the background story that was the reason for the creation (or usurpation) of the images used in the meme.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: Blue Shift

Since the girl is shopped in, wouldn’t a dumpster fire make more sense with labels if doing a meme for the Dems? As is, it is a level of humor just above the humor that inspired Kathy Griffon’s severed head photo shoot.

I'm not sure the girl is Photoshopped. I didn't do it. It was just something I found on the Internet. But yes, you're right. It is not a subtle, nuanced discussion of political events or a sophisticated comedic jab at the current administration. It's just a dumb meme.

However, "dumpster fire" is a little cliched, after having been done to death by everybody on both "sides" of the dirty, toxic yellow political stream.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: gladtobehere

Well, this is a discussion and debate board. Memes have their place, but not in a serious discussion and people tend to use them as propaganda tools or to engage in trolling, political or otherwise. Personally I'd like to see less memes from lazy posters.

In any serious discussion they truly do not have a place.

In my mind a good post is one where an opinion is given and backed up by links to sources and the person posting has done some homework before posting. Don't get me wrong, I do get a chuckle out of some memes. They are best kept in BelowTopSecret threads and out of serious threads.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

But if you go to the mud pit you can find everything but serious, intelligent conversations :S

When i was a kid, people throwing sticks and dirt at one another over the river was the last thing i thought when i imagined adults having serious discussions ..

ATS is member driven. Yes things like memes are childish and should not be part of any serious conversation.

The solution is that members like you post quality threads outside of the Mud Pit. Create the threads you want to see. Ignore the threads you don't like. Just like changing a channel on the TV, you decide what you read and what has value.

Posting memes is about as lazy as a person can get. You're seriously comparing a meme to a work of art

I'm going to assume you don't actually buy into that.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I feel personally attacked

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

I feel personally attacked

I suppose there are times when a meme does say it all

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Try looking in the mud pit and an AOC thread, its a shame we expect more of politicians but we just throw pictures (not even own work) at the wall and see what snip sticks, new wave politics almost like tinder which studies have shown the human mind takes between 3-5 seconds to be lustful/attracted to someone.

I think politicians love meme's saves them actually having to debate/compromise, just post something on twitter and let us the minnions fawn/loathe it instead based on our 3-5 second visual brain, not our ears or heart or mind, just some daft receptor releasing endorphins.

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Lol, hey wait a sec

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:29 PM
link   

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

Lol, hey wait a sec

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Malisa

a reply to: gladtobehere

Well, this is a discussion and debate board. Memes have their place, but not in a serious discussion and people tend to use them as propaganda tools or to engage in trolling, political or otherwise. Personally I'd like to see less memes from lazy posters.

In any serious discussion they truly do not have a place.

In my mind a good post is one where an opinion is given and backed up by links to sources and the person posting has done some homework before posting. Don't get me wrong, I do get a chuckle out of some memes. They are best kept in BelowTopSecret threads and out of serious threads.

But if you go to the mud pit you can find everything but serious, intelligent conversations :S

When i was a kid, people throwing sticks and dirt at one another over the river was the last thing i thought when i imagined adults having serious discussions ..

ATS is member driven. Yes things like memes are childish and should not be part of any serious conversation.

The solution is that members like you post quality threads outside of the Mud Pit. Create the threads you want to see. Ignore the threads you don't like. Just like changing a channel on the TV, you decide what you read and what has value.

Posting memes is about as lazy as a person can get. You're seriously comparing a meme to a work of art

I'm going to assume you don't actually buy into that.

Obviously i don't believe a meme equals the same level of art as paintings or any other art

But i also know that at some point some of what we consider beautiful art these days was considered crap and even Mozart got laughed at and insulted for his music. So i'm not going to assume i know better or have a narrow mind to say "this is art and this is not because i don't like it" I rather not go down in history like that

Anyway take for example Kanye, i'm so bored with his music,i just can't like it no matter what, and i did try to like it with honesty, but nope. And yet some friends think he's like the greatest genius and definitely think he makes art with his music. in my friends eyes i'm ignorant about music because i can't relate :S

And also Bansky, it was crap at the beginning and even cops were looking for him, now he's respected and suddenly he produces art and even governments when they find so stuff by him they try to preserve it, so what made it art now?

So i'm not going to decide what's art for someone else, i bet Mozart didn't think his work was crap but lots of people did think he was bad and there are many more examples of the same human behavior.

What passes for art for some people may be crap for other's but a century later suddenly it is art and not just any but the most refined, beautiful example of what art means

I hope not but i'm almost positive that 50 years from now some of those memes will be some kind of 'art' in some people's eyes, and that will give them value in even more people's eyes

Like this is art or nah? Depends on who drew it?

Anyways i think most memes are dumb, but it is how lots of people are expressing themselves now, maybe they should have kept their hands shut LMAO

I guess to be clear, i don't care about memes at all, if i need to say something i just say it with words, but i don't believe in throwing something away just because i don't like it

Ignore the threads you don't like. Just like changing a channel on the TV, you decide what you read and what has value.

And this is why i don't think people expressing whatever they want with memes instead of lengthy threads must be censored, if i don't like memes well i'll skip on them and go to other threads

Ii'm just thinking it too much lol, i don't care either way so peace and Poka

edit on 1-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-5-2019 by Malisa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 08:43 PM
link   

I suppose there are times when a meme does say it all

My favorite...

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Why not just give up on the idea of intelligent communication altogether and go back to painting on cave walls?

LOL, my painting is better than yours!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join