It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SACD Multi channel Music Releases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Hi All..

So audiophile gear is my big hobby and as such I'm consistently blown away by multi-channel SACD releases and as such wanted to see if there are any other fans here.

The catch being that since SACD MC or even DVD-A MC or to be honest just straight SACD didn't really gain traction so there isnt a huge catalog.
Thankfully multiple Pink Floyd albums have been released this way.

Millions and millions of people have heard the standard stereo or more obscure quad channel release of Dark Side of the Moon but it's like listening to a whole different album with the clocks at the start of Time surrounding you in a true 5.1 setup.

Some other excellent examples of MC recordings with Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree putting out quite a few remasters that way...

Billy Joel = The Stranger
- Scenes from an Italian Restaurant is amazing

Opeth = Blackwater Park
NiN = The DOwnward Spiral
Norah Jones = Come Away With Me

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Sounds interesting.

I've never heard this format.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

It's not too bad. Unfortunately I can't play it in my car on an SD or USB so I stick with MP3's still. Though, it's pretty cool listening to all the diff channels one by one. You can really get a feel as to how all of that music came together. I have a pretty decent little collection from various artists. Mostly metal, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I never listened to the format, but was working at a Tower Records when it debuted. Everyone expected it to take off, but nope.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

The Sony SCD-1 player was introduced concurrently with the SACD format in 1999, at a price of approximately US$5,000.[47] It weighed over 26 kilograms (57 lb) and played two-channel SACDs and Red Book CDs only.

Playback Hardware (wiki link)

I'm not surprised it never took off! 5 grand for a player???

I downloaded a few SACD's back in the day but they are a pain. DVD-A finally plugged the hole that SACD tried to fill I reckon.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

I need to look into who can provide the digital files over the internet for this format.

My new phone has a HiFi Quad dac output, so if I can get the right headphones, I can essentially get as close to analog and multiple channels as possible (or so I read).

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I'd like to look into the formats you mention. I just updated my gear a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to up my listening experience.

I purchased a FiiO M9 music player DAC and FiiO F9 pro earbuds. I also subscribed to TIDAL premium so I can stream and download really amazing quality music. With the equipment, I'm able to play it so I'm really happy right now.

I'm ion the market for a better pair of over the ear headphones. Currently, I use Sony MDRV6, I've been using them for maybe 15 years now.
edit on 4/29/2019 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I'm not surprised it never took off! 5 grand for a player???

5k will buy a lot of drinks at the beer joint where guys with Strats and Gibsons play live and you can dance with women with large breasts.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
SACD is damn near vintage now. I'm surprised it's still going. Anyhow, I bought a Samsung DVD player that was supposed to play it way back in around 2005 or so and that thing was the biggest POS I've ever owned. Dropouts, freezing. I think it actually might have played SACDs OK but TBH, 5.1 audio seems a bit gimmicky for music. And is a lot of trouble to go to, frankly. DSOTM 2 channel SACD sounds pretty much the same as the standard stereo release. The 5.1 mix is interesting but not interesting enough to justify owning a 5.1 setup.

Buy some good headphones and a quality amplification setup for your PC and you're done. You can spend as much as you want but you can do a lot in the headphone department for around $500 - $600 US. And you don't have to disturb your neighbors to listen loud.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Shame it didn't take off... But, keep your eye out in second hand stores for an original PlayStation 3. The earliest first models actually included a SACD capable format player. I've been wanting one for years.... The updated model quickly dropped sacd sadly presumably due to cost?

But I'm sure OP that Sigor Ros released an album that would fit your bill. Their "Heime" (Not sure on spelling there, but it translated to "home") release came out on Multi-channel audio formats, I listened to that dvd so many times, and the mixing and audio quality was superb.

Edit, it was spelled "Heima" or sometimes "Heim" depending on where it was released. Sadly, seems no SACD release of it, or even Blutray, only the original multi-channel audio DVD version. Either way though, what a stunning album to watch/hear. There is a HD 720P version available to download. But thats not my bag... shrug

Even though its dvd, the recordings are so organic and rich and by genuine musicians and if you enjoy MC audio, put it on your list and you will be treating to something awe inspiring.
edit on 29-4-2019 by Qumulys because: I'm a disappointment to my mother

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
The thing that is great is you can get a really solid SACD player for a very reasonable price of a few $100 - $300 now..
Sure you can spend a ton more and go with a dedicated DAC and transport though if you want DVD-A it's a bit more expensive.

Now granted you are looking for upwards of $40 per release typically but depending on what you get you can get a few different mixes or EBAY is always an option.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: kinglizard
I'd like to look into the formats you mention. I just updated my gear a couple of weeks ago in an attempt to up my listening experience.

I purchased a FiiO M9 music player DAC and FiiO F9 pro earbuds. I also subscribed to TIDAL premium so I can stream and download really amazing quality music. With the equipment, I'm able to play it so I'm really happy right now.

I'm ion the market for a better pair of over the ear headphones. Currently, I use Sony MDRV6, I've been using them for maybe 15 years now.

Tidal also has a selection of MQA (Master QUality Authenticated) releases which you can see here if you have a DAC or AVR that supports MQA: docs.google.com...=945476039

What is your budget for heaphonescans and I can make some suggestions.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 07:30 PM
link   
thanks for the link and the recommendation if you have any. Just before reading your post I placed an order for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Do you think I could do better for under say 200? the ability to change the cord length is nice.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
The thing that is great is you can get a really solid SACD player for a very reasonable price of a few $100 - $300 now..
Sure you can spend a ton more and go with a dedicated DAC and transport though if you want DVD-A it's a bit more expensive.

Now granted you are looking for upwards of $40 per release typically but depending on what you get you can get a few different mixes or EBAY is always an option.

I picked up a Sony X800 UHD player a couple years ago for a smoking(at the time) price of 149. Great player for the money, Everything else was around 300 and at that price I would have just popped for a Oppo.

But, saw the price on amazon one day(it was priced at that for about a week around christmas) and other than lacking analog audio output, it offered a lot of features the oppo did at a fraction of the price.

ETA: Good equipment is out there like you said, for reasonable prices. I looked, and the X800 even does DVD-A.
edit on 29-4-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

thanks for the link and the recommendation if you have any. Just before reading your post I placed an order for Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. Do you think I could do better for under say 200? the ability to change the cord length is nice.

100% solid choice and i actually run that exact set on my 2 channel system.

Don't let a music snob tell you that you need to spend $1k on opened back cans to get the true headphone experience.
Everyone hears sound differently , source material plays a part also and the ATH are just a solid pair for the price.

If you want to tweak it a bit you have multiple options on dedicated headphone amps but just make sure you set the correct expectation for yourself with that..its not going to change sound that much.

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I'm just looking for a headphone to use with a FiiO M9, at 38ohms I thought it would be a decent match for really any source, I know the M9 will get them moving. I like the ability to use a 4 foot cable, my current and only over the ear headphones sony MDRV6 (love the range 5 Hz - 30 kHz) but the attached coiled cable makes walkin' around with them a pain.
edit on 4/29/2019 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   

I'm just looking for a headphone to use my FiiO M9 at 38ohms I thought it would be a decent match for really any source, I know the M9 will get them moving. I like the ability to use a 4 foot cable, my current and only over the ear headphones sony MDRV6 (love the range 5 Hz - 30 kHz) but the attached coiled cable makes walkin' around with them a pain.

Yup..unless you going for a specific sound (bass heavy) or opened back (more space typically) you should be very happy with the ATH-M50x

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I use a Denon DVD2900 that plays both SACD and DVD-A formats. I have a few titles on both formats. They sound great in both stereo and 5.1 mix formats. Roger Waters - In the Flesh is one of my favorites. The DVD-A I play the most is Neil Young On the Beach.

I have switched over to vinyl and haven't looked back.

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: WalterTilley
I use a Denon DVD2900 that plays both SACD and DVD-A formats. I have a few titles on both formats. They sound great in both stereo and 5.1 mix formats. Roger Waters - In the Flesh is one of my favorites. The DVD-A I play the most is Neil Young On the Beach.

I have switched over to vinyl and haven't looked back.

Nothing wrong with any of that.. =)

When I give advice for friends or consult for other companies I give them the same thoughts on my opinion of vinyl.
Analog or digital is not clearly better than the other. It comes down to what the person feels the most connection to.
For some that is the warmth or a specific memory or the process of listening to an album while for others its the clarity and ability to stream online.

Each serves a purpose , each can have great sound on a budget setup or a full blown McIntosh + 8 billion dollar interconnect setup with acoustic wall treatments. Find which sound works for you because one is not better than the other, it just sounds different.. =)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

Aw c'mon it was the end of the 90s, 5k was milk money.

new topics

top topics

join