It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is how NASA would respond to an asteroid impacting Earth

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I've already got a cartoon image in my head of how NASA will respond.

It's not pretty.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Yes things fall. Can I explain what it is, no. But I can explain that rockets don't work in space

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: NicSign

But I can explain that rockets don't work in space

And your explanation would be erroneous, because they can and do.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Can you prove that there is an equal and opposite force from gas movement due to pressure gradient force? I'm sure you can't.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I have no clue about anything but what about comets and the gases can make them go in a different direction. That is the only thing that comes to mind. idk

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

It is not pressure gradient force which causes a rocket to move but it is the force which causes a gas to move from an area of higher pressure to an area of lower pressure. The force can be derived from Newton's second law.

It is the movement of the gas which causes the rocket to move. Newton's third law.

But you're right, I'm sure I couldn't prove it to you. And there's no such thing as rockets in space.

edit on 4/28/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Doesn't really seem so.

The United States Space Force shall be organized, trained, and equipped to meet the following priorities:

(a) Protecting the Nation’s interests in space and the peaceful use of space for all responsible actors, consistent with applicable law, including international law;

(b) Ensuring unfettered use of space for United States national security purposes, the United States economy, and United States persons, partners, and allies;

(c) Deterring aggression and defending the Nation, United States allies, and United States interests from hostile acts in and from space;

(d) Ensuring that needed space capabilities are integrated and available to all United States Combatant Commands;

(e) Projecting military power in, from, and to space in support of our Nation’s interests; and

(f) Developing, maintaining, and improving a community of professionals focused on the national security demands of the space domain.

www.hsdl.org...

You don't have much of an imagination. I suppose an asteroid hitting in the US or anywhere on earth that would affect the US would fall, at the very least, under "National Interest" as well as a few other categories you pasted from your googling.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:21 PM
link   

gas movement from high pressure to low pressure is caused by pressure gradient force. en.wikipedia.org...

pressure gradient force provides the gas momentum, not the rocket.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:24 PM
link   

gas movement from high pressure to low pressure is caused by pressure gradient force

I know. That's what I said. Second law.

Correct. It is the movement of the gas which results in movement of the rocket. Same principle with an ion drive, except the ions are motivated by electrical forces instead of pressure. Newton's third law.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Ummm. . . .guy?

Phage and I go back and forth a lot. We're a couple of grumpy old guys.

But if you're arguing against Phage AND Newton, then Sparky?

I'm afraid you're going to lose this fight.

Just apologize, and enjoy the rest of your day.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Yeah. But it's pretty clear the intent is military applications in regard to threats and actions.

You'd think asteroids would have been a good bullet point.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't see any harm in the various organizations gathering to talk about a possibleprobable NEO situation. If you monitory the JPL Small-body database, you'll find that there are NEOs passing close to the Earth quite often, many of them closer than the distance from the Earth to the Moon.

I don't have a lot of hope that the meeting will bear useful fruit, but it could happen. I wish all the various players would meet continuously until the Global Defense Unit were formed, funded with test runs. Think of the shame of our species if we got this far, and due to logistical SNAFUs, we were unable to rise to the challenge of an incoming asteroid/comet, etc.

"Oh hell, no. There is no money in the budget for overtime on a holiday. We'll just have to hope it misses us." doesn't that sound exactly like the last song of our species? It does to me.

I want this to be an international/global collective. I also want Bruce Willis involved.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Hold on..

Let me get this straight.

You mean to tell me that they're playing the NASA version of Warhammer to "see how it would play out" so that they make a response plan because they don't have one?

And this is how they would respond to NEO coming here? By playing dice games?

When NEO comes to reap the harvest of human spirits after hundreds of thousands of years of procreating to fulfill NEO's will, there won't be anyone left alive to respond.
edit on 4/28/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

gas movement from high pressure to low pressure is caused by pressure gradient force

I know. That's what I said. Second law.

Correct. It is the movement of the gas which results in movement of the rocket. Same principle with an ion drive, except the ions are motivated by electrical forces instead of pressure. Newton's third law.

It is your misapplication of newtons law. when the wind blows on the back of your head, why don't you feel the air in front of you push off your face as it moved away from you?

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Because the wind isn't coming out of me. Usually.

Ok, you win. No such thing as rockets in space so there's nothing we can do about asteroids.

So, what is the shape of the world?

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

That's one aspect of the meeting, yes.
pdc.iaaweb.org...

I guess military maneuvers are pointless too.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Well let's be honest here, if an asteroid a half mile across was heading toward our planet there probably isn't a damn thing we could do about it.
Especially considering nasa is still paying Russia to put our people in space.
Maybe musk could throw a few Tesla's at it but I doubt it would help.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be lit if we all died in a massive NEO event?

Or better, someone nuked it and it broke into bits as our only chance of saving planet Earth?
(as in most species may die, including ours, but the planet itself is still there and we have a chance)

It's exciting to consider and talk about like apocalyptic scenarios of all kinds. The best one is prophesied armageddon because NEOs.. meh, God didn't put that in the plan, trust me. It will be more like dungeons and dragons meets WWIII with the supernatural events too. No one is going to nuke because no one wants to ruin the planet. No, armageddon will be fought on the tabletop.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   

the air is still in contact with your face prior to moving. So in your logic, the air should push off your face when it moves away from you.

The lack of opposite force is shown Around 3:50 and 5:50

And again around 7:00

Like you said, you will not be able to prove that there is an equal and opposite force.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Well let's be honest here, if an asteroid a half mile across was heading toward our planet there probably isn't a damn thing we could do about it.
Depends upon how far away it is. But you're right, right now we have no defense against anything. That's sort of the point of the conference(s). To consider the problem.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join