It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Federal Court Becomes the Third to Strike Down Pro-Israel Oath as Unconstitutional

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
In A Case Brought by School Speech Pathologist, Texas Federal Court Becomes the Third to Strike Down Pro-Israel Oath as Unconstitutional.

A FEDERAL COURT IN TEXAS issued a ruling on Thursday afternoon preliminarily enjoining enforcement of Texas’ law banning contractors from boycotting Israel.

The court ruled that the law plainly violates the free speech guarantee of the First Amendment.

Common or uncommon sense would dictate that it may violate the laws of the United States, preventing an American from freely being able to choose whom he or she does or doesnt do business with, regardless of whether or not they are being paid by tax payer funds.

Remember those videos of people chanting "This is what democracy looks like"?
Hey guys, this is what a REPUBLIC looks like.

In Texas, only five legislators voted against H.B. 89, which mandates companies that contract with Texas government entities to verify they do not and will not boycott Israel, also barring state pension and endowment funds.

From the judge's ruling:

Judge Pitman was particularly emphatic that the law was not merely “government speech” in defense of Israel, but rather a classic embodiment of what the First Amendment, at its core, was designed to prevent: punishment imposed on those who disagree with the majority’s political opinions on hotly contested political topics.

“[T]he purpose behind the Bill of Rights, and of the First Amendment in particular[,]” is “to protect unpopular individuals from retaliation—and their ideas from suppression—at the hands of an intolerant society.” McIntyre v. Ohio Elections Comm’n, 514 U.S. 334, 357 (1995).

A nation of (just) laws, not of men.

A Republic actually protects the rights of the minority.

A Republic is supposed to act as a barrier to mob rule or what is known as a pure democracy.

In a pure democracy, at any time, 51% can rule over the 49%.

edit on 28-4-2019 by gladtobehere because: typo

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Good, that was a dopey law used solely so virtue-signaling meatheads could identify one another.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Yes, a stupid grand stand stunt by those in charge, designed to punish those with differing views. Boycotts and protests are a fundamental element of our Republic.

Hopefully, the courts will strike down similar legislation that seeks to punish individuals or businesses who accept contracts with governments or other entities they do not like. Some legislative bodies have passed laws to punish any business that participates in the construction of the border wall.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Excellent job Texas. I suppose Israel lobbyist better spend more time in Texas...

Seriously though, what in the hell kind of dumb bill is/was that? Frankly, I have never seen a more ignorant bill in my life.

Israel gets help from us plenty, they don't need this and they better not get this from our nation. Our country is not on this planet to benefit Israel at every turn. Our country should be worried about benefiting my fellow countrymen first and foremost.

I truly have never understood this "special interest" we have with Israel. It's border line ridiculous - and I actually like Israel, I have been there, had a damn good time, loved the people I met - absolutely gorgeous women everywhere as well - but this is not something you do for even a friend - this bill is not only whacky it is just full blown stupid.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Stupid law, no one should force another to do business with someone. They have the right to maybe prevent business with a group that is an enemy of the US.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere
In A Case Brought by School Speech Pathologist, Texas Federal Court Becomes the Third to Strike Down Pro-Israel Oath as Unconstitutional.

Excellent.

Businesses CAN boycott (or not) Israel. It's up to them. It's as simple as "they're not selling anything I want" or "I've got other suppliers/customers."
This says that the STATE can't tell them who to boycott or who to not boycott.

The Federal government can announce a boycott (essentially) as a tool of negotiation or war. But not states.

It was a very stupid law.
edit on 28-4-2019 by Byrd because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Now there's a sexy article right there.

I wonder how much was paid to Texas politicians to pass that law in the first place? Seems pretty archaic and fascist to me..... Glad it's being struck down.

new topics

top topics

join