It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble Measurements Confirm There's Something Weird About How the Universe Is Expanding

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AlienView

Yes . What came First , the Chicken or the Egg ? I Know the Answer , do you ?.....)

posted on May, 1 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Perhaps the far reaches are getting closer to bumping up against the next one?

I wonder if the deceleration is in all directions. Guess I should try reading the article, but my brain isn't fully functional this early.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Because we pretend to know something does not mean we exclude other things

Local universe/greater universe/ are just words...without precise meaning.

We know less than we pretend we think we know.

Just words without precise meaning.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The universe continues to expand because of the ideas and thoughts we put into it, which curiously enough have mass / energy. It's expanding closer to us than farther away because that's where the thoughts are happening. Close up. After we evolved. Ideas and thoughts also have "time" built into them, so not only is the universe getting bigger it's also getting rapidly older. Each new measurement pushes the date of the "beginning" of the universe even farther back. It's not just because our measurements are getting better. It's because we're thinking it farther back into the past.

posted on May, 2 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
The universe continues to expand because of the ideas and thoughts we put into it, which curiously enough have mass / energy. It's expanding closer to us than farther away because that's where the thoughts are happening. Close up. After we evolved. Ideas and thoughts also have "time" built into them, so not only is the universe getting bigger it's also getting rapidly older. Each new measurement pushes the date of the "beginning" of the universe even farther back. It's not just because our measurements are getting better. It's because we're thinking it farther back into the past.

I like that

BUT can you elaborate? - Show that this line of thinking is something more than speculative observation

edit on 2-5-2019 by AlienView because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2019 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Lol, if alien spaceships run on thought power, so why not.
a reply to: Blue Shift

posted on May, 4 2019 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

Here is a Short Video to put things in perspective . What is Our present Universe Expanding Into ? ....Hmm..

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Here is a Short Video to put things in perspective . What is Our present Universe Expanding Into ? ....Hmm..

Space is endless and eternal. Vacuum always has some energy (due to the Uncertainly Principle). Some areas of vacuum can have energy state higher than the "ground state". Thanks to quantum tunelling, these areas can spontaneously decay to a lower energy state, producing a "bubble universe" along the way. That's how our universe came into being, and that's how the uncounted multitudes of other universes pop into existence.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I see an easy explanation, the universe is accelerating that is why the near universe we notice a faster speed and the far universe we see a slower speed but since the light from farther away took longer to get here there is a difference in time between the near and far universe, maybe there is a way to calculate the acceleration of the universe over time, and calculate the acceleration into the future.

posted on May, 5 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Space is endless and eternal. Vacuum always has some energy (due to the Uncertainly Principle). Some areas of vacuum can have energy state higher than the "ground state". Thanks to quantum tunelling, these areas can spontaneously decay to a lower energy state, producing a "bubble universe" along the way. That's how our universe came into being, and that's how the uncounted multitudes of other universes pop into existence.

Thank You , A Great Deal of Good Information in your Post ....

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Intriguing, so mich for bring infinite!

Whats it expanding into

And at what point does it start contract.

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Check out this video about a new paper concerning the Hubble constant. Turns out it might not be so constant at all and actually changes dramatically over distance, if the paper is accurate. The significance of the paper as I understand it is, that they performed a blind study with numbers only without context. Anton explains it way better.

I would link to the paper but sadly he omitted the link. I am sure somebody will find it quickly

For those afraid of YT vids, this guy is science based so no magic quantum bull crap there.

edit on 8/11/19 by Thill because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/11/19 by Thill because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Maybe the scientist who measure the expansion using values of blue shift ( fast expansion ) and red shift ( slow expansion ) are wrong. Of course to be wrong is totally out of the question. Scientists will just add to the current theory to bring everything in line with current beliefs

Maybe blue shift and red shift are a measure of age of an object rather than its acceleration. Blue shift meaning young and red shift meaning old.
edit on 8-11-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

Perhaps the far reaches are getting closer to bumping up against the next one?

I wonder if the deceleration is in all directions. Guess I should try reading the article, but my brain isn't fully functional this early.

It's because they thought the universe was flat, in which new studies suggest it might be round. Imagine that... our scientist have been thinking like flat-earthers.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: eManym
Maybe the scientist who measure the expansion using values of blue shift ( fast expansion ) and red shift ( slow expansion ) are wrong. Of course to be wrong is totally out of the question. Scientists will just add to the current theory to bring everything in line with current beliefs

Maybe blue shift and red shift are a measure of age of an object rather than its acceleration. Blue shift meaning young and red shift meaning old.

As a correction of my post. I should have said red shift = moving away, blue shift = moving toward. Objects moving away are theorized to have red shift. My knowledge of Doppler Shift is limited. Objects with a longer wavelength in the red, than other objects in the red with shorter wavelength are moving away faster. In theory.

Just a correction to my post, above.
edit on 10-11-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 04:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite
Ugh please don't spread misinformation. The big bang has not be disproved. We know that it must have happened in order to explain the conditions we see in the present. The James Planck telescope literally took a picture of the universe when it was only 50000 years old. When Hubble is looking 10 billion light years away we are seeing our dear universe when it was just a little child. We can see that everything has been expanding away from everything else and at some point it must have all been together.

Wolfman8: everyone is at the center of their own observable universe. The big bang wasn't an explosion and didnt happen in a specific place. Imagine blowing up a balloon and the universe is the surface of the balloon. Where is the center of the surface of a sphere? There isn't one. A telescope can only see a distance of 13.8 billion light years. Since that's the age of the universe, no matter which direction I point my telescope, I will see the big bang itself if I'm looking a distance of 13.8 light years. This is what we call the observable universe. Though the universe is much larger, anything beyond that range of 13.8 can never be reached by us since it would require faster than light travel. So no matter what planet or Galaxy you are in, the universe extends 13.8 billion light years in all directions, making ever place the center of the universe is

Scientists are fairly confident now that the big crunch will not happen. Dark energy continues to accelerate the expansion. Eventually even molecules will have expanded away from one another leading to what they call the big freeze.
edit on 30-11-2019 by Nabesquire because: Forgot response

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   

They don't know much which is why the need for scientist, imagine if we knew everything, there would be no point or purpose. I'm guessing evolution sees to the possibility of omniscience, because ever changing environments would mean no absolute truth ever.

posted on Nov, 30 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: wolfman8
Any location is space is the center of the universe for that observer. The universe is about 13.8 billion years old. So no matter which way I point a telescope, I will see the moment of the big bang at a distance of 13.8 billion light years. Though the actual size of the universe is unknown, any point beyond that 13.8 billion light years can never be reached. Any species anywhere in the universe is at the center of their own observable universe with a radius of 13.8 billion light years in all directions.

Let's not spread misinformation, the big bang theory has not been proven wrong. We know that it did happen. The further we look with telescopes, the further back in time we are seeing. The Planck telescope took a picture of the universe when Itwas only like 300000 years old and we can see everything was combined into a dense quark gluon plasma. The James Webb telescope will be able to observe the universe just nanoseconds after it's creation.

The universe will not collapse back in on itself. Dark energy gets stronger as the universe expands, further accelerating the expansion. The big freeze will happen when even the space between particles is expanding too much for things to interact.

Craftyarrow: When they call the universe flat they are referring to how the geometry works. We send out lasers forming a massive triangle in space. In a flat universe, the angles of the triangle should equal 180 degrees. All our experiments have shown that it is flat. But it is possible that its so big that any curvature would be too small for us to measure.

edit on 30-11-2019 by Nabesquire because: Missing text

edit on 30-11-2019 by Nabesquire because: Added response

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Nabesquire

Yes it has been disproved. Just because we haven't come up with the replacement yet doesn't mean it isn't disproven. Just means we don't know. If you'd like to hang on to a junk theory, have at it. I won't be spreading a theory already proved false.

Olbers paradox would like a word.

Since that's the age of the universe, no matter which direction I point my telescope, I will see the big bang itself if I'm looking a distance of 13.8 light years. This is what we call the observable universe. Though the universe is much larger, anything beyond that range of 13.8 can never be reached by us since it would require faster than light travel.

Ahh the circular reasoning of the big bang theory, it never gets old. The primordial soup was everywhere and nowhere then exploded from nowhere and everywhere to give us what we see today. It's utterly asinine.

The James Webb telescope will be able to observe the universe just nanoseconds after it's creation.

No, webb won't even see back as far as planck. It is tuned to see 13.7B years ago, 100,000,000 years after the big bang and 99,700,000 years after planck.
edit on 1-12-2019 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2019 @ 04:33 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

Fun fact, doppler redshift has never been observed in a far off galaxy. There has only been cosmological redshift which is useless in determining whether something is receding.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join