It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I own an SR-71.....sort of.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:24 AM
link   
So I don't own the entire plane but I do own a piece of an original vertical stabilizer from SR-71, serial #: 61-7967. I was one of the lucky few to get an early sale opportunity to purchase 1 of the 2250 airplane tags made by Plane Tags.

Tag is crafted from SR-71 #61-7967 (17967), first taking to the skies August 3, 1966 and logging 2,765.5 hours of flight before coming to rest in 1998. As one of the last two SR-71’s in active duty, this aircraft has now found a place of honor at the 8th Air Force Museum at Barksdale AFB, Bossier City, LA. Prior to the museum installation, the damaged stabilizer was replaced, allowing us to secure the original stabilizer and create a legendary memento like no other.

I took mine and built a custom shadow box to display it in and added a photo of an SR-71 I created and a Skunk Works patch. I also added a fake ID plate to the back of the box just for the novelty of it.

planetags.com...

www.airplanesofthepast.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

What was the price of that Samm, and do they ship to UK?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That's really cool! I touched an SR-71A about 30 years ago... there were warning signs that told me not to, but I couldn't resist! I could hear my mom's voice in my head, "Keep your hands to yourself!", but the urge to fondle the gorgeous plane was overwhelming. Apparently the oils produced by human skin can damage the material used on the Blackbird. I'm sorry!

ETA: This happened at Pima Air & Space Museum. Also got to tour JFK's Airforce One... that was a beautiful plane, too.
edit on 4262019 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: nelloh62

I paid $195 for a piece of the interior skin. They were also selling pieces of the exterior skin for $295 which was a bit much for me. Unfortunately they all sold out within a day. You can keep your eyes open for them on Ebay but they will most likely be at a premium since they are so rare.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

If you can jump high enough, you can slap the belly of the, one of a kind, M-21 (converted SR-71 to launch the D-21 drone) at the Musuem of Flight in Seattle. I make a ritual of it any time I go there.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:25 AM
link   
One of the things that impressed me with the Seattle plane is its size. It is HUGE! Much bigger than, say, a B-17. It fills the hall where it is placed and these tiny gnat-sized fighters fill in the spaces in between.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   

They cut 2250 tags from the stabilizer, and the morning the presale started they had 10,000 people signed up. We were sitting and refreshing my email starting about five minutes before the sale officially started to make sure to get in there.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks to Samm and Zaph for the info. I have left my details with them to see when they are back in stock ( i know, I am a sad old bugger ) and told my wife she can buy me one for my birthday !! But with at least 10,000 signed up and waiting, my chances are slim

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

They've got some other tags that are a lot cheaper, but still really cool. I have one from the Gimli Glider, and will be getting a couple from the B-52 (the other half thinks they're the most awesome aircraft ever so she wants one too). I'm sure I'll find at least a couple more to pick up too.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Hey, that's a trip down memory lane. I remember watching the Gimli on Discovery channel.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 12:01 PM
link   

that's just effing awesome!

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Pima had several, but I decided to get that one because it had the most history.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

cool

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 03:08 PM
link   

That's a pretty piece of history you got there.

If I had Bill Gates money I would go to the government and ask to buy some decommissioned fighter jets, because a showroom of classic cars is so lame.

As small as it is, you have something aviation enthusiasts would climb over their grandmother to get their hands on it.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

thats really cool man, you are the blackbird master.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
How much for an engine?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I know a guy who has an entire vertical stabilizer from an SR-71. Someone was selling them for $500 each through a personal ad in "The Recycler." Frankly, I think something like that is too big for a practical display (it's leaning up against the side of his garage. I prefer items that are substantial yet portable but I'm not keen on items that are not in original condition.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

That would be cool to have access to something like a full vertical stab. I would make it into a table or some other art form. I would rather see others be able enjoy it and get conversations going about it rather than let it sit unseen, unknown and deteriorate till it's hardly identifiable. I see myself as more of a craftsman that sees stuff like that as a canvas to create something that combines the uniqueness of the peice with the history of it.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Given the chance, I probably wouldn't turn a Blackbird tail into a table. Besides the awkward size, shape, and weight distribution, there would be other hazards to consider if it was not one of the early metal fins.

Peripheral components of the airplane (wing edges, tails, and inlet spikes) were composed of composite radar absorbent structures made from electrically resistive asbestos honeycomb sandwiched between phenyl-silane/asbestos-silicone laminate panels. One of the museums that planned to repaint their Blackbird had a technician use a sander on the chines, and he ended up creating a cloud of asbestos laden dust.

posted on Apr, 28 2019 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Shadowhawk

That would make a really cool bartop table.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join