It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Liberal Democrats Want To Stop Brexit. Can Someone Help Me With This.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong
a reply to: ScepticScot

I think that the only democratic way change the result of a referendum is another referendum

So lets get this clear.

You think it's democratic to have another referendum that you hope wipe out the result of the initial democratic referendum, which you don't want to democratically honour.

What kind of nonsense is that ?

The nonsense is thinking we should leave even in the majority don't want to.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I think that the only democratic way change the result of a referendum is another referendum

So lets get this clear.

You think it's democratic to have another referendum that you hope wipe out the result of the initial democratic referendum, which you don't want to democratically honour.

Show me evidence where you think there is a majority to stay ?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The Liberal Democrats are Campaigning under the slogan " Stop Brexit "

They advocate this by calling for a " Peoples Vote " If such a vote was given, and the result was again to leave The EU, how do the Liberal Democrats think they can actually stop Brexit ?

Do they call for yet another vote until they achieve what their slogan says?

www.bbc.co.uk...

Do Liberal Democrats only believe in democracy if the vote goes their way? We had a " peoples vote " in 2016 when the result was to leave The EU.

I am genuinely struggling to understand what is going on here.

Um duh.

Brexit voters arent people.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: The GUT

I think you might be slightly confused about how democracy works.

Quite possibly the most uniformed and illogical thing I've ever read here. Hard to say in such a crowded field.

I am quite sure the EU's bollocks are toasty warm, however, from such mindless and enthusiastic suckling. That kind of groveling enthusiasm must travel upward and warm their cold little hearts as well.

Literally nothing to do with the post I was replying to.

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: RUokayHun

Largest support then, didn't read it right, apologies, but with votes for UKIP and Tories as well it could be the case that the majority of votes are for pro brexit parties. If so next month then I'd say that settles the issue.

Why not have a referendum and settle it properly then.
Honour the decision of the first referendum and then we can talk, otherwise referenda are meaningless.

Do you think we should leave even if the majority now don't want to?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   

So lets get this clear.

Show me evidence where you think there is a majority to stay ?

Plenty of polls suggesting that.

I don't know 100% anymore than you do.

Maybe a referendum is in order.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

I think we should leave because we voted to in the last referendum which has yet to be honoured.
When that has happened I of course support your right to campaign for another referendum.
Right now, the decision of the first vote should be honoured, and nothing will change my opinion on that principle of perceived democracy.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

originally posted by: uncommitted

If only the Brits could think of some historical example, whereby a country fought for (and won) it's independence and freedom from an empire trying to control it's economic and governmental decisions.

You mean having to ally ourselves with the French because we wouldn't be strong enough to achieve such a task on our own - that's a historical example from somewhere I'm sure.

Allies are always helpful.

What's your point?

Simple really, Brexit is supposed to be about the UK standing on its own, not having to rely on another country to get it done.

But then your analogy was a typically weak one in the first place, so not sure what point you thought you were making.

Then your bringing up the topic of allies remains predictably irrelevant.

I sometimes really write meaningless responses on ATS too, thankfully 9 times out of 10 I stop before I press the reply button - it's a gift.

Then I'll certainly be looking forward to your next nine posts.

I'll look forward to the one you feel - upon reflection - was worth reading and not just about making it all about fitting your narrative. Shame you guys don't honour the majority vote in your elections though, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Why do you keep stating there is a majority to stay in The EU then? You just stated you don't know.

Which polls? At least link to one of them.

The majority of polls got it wrong last time.

It wasn’t just a bad night for Europhiles and David Cameron, but also for pollsters, who misread the mood of the electorate in the run-up to the vote

www.theguardian.com...

Stop talking nonsense.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:48 AM
link   

I think we should leave because we voted to in the last referendum which has yet to be honoured.
When that has happened I of course support your right to campaign for another referendum.
Right now, the decision of the first vote should be honoured, and nothing will change my opinion on that principle of perceived democracy.

Thank you for being the first-person to at least give a direct answer.

However I can't agree that It would be democratic to leave even if the majority now wanted to stay. Quite the opposite.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Got to love those founding fathers, making sure their interests would be kept safe.

Amazing that it actually worked in our favor for once. One is tempted to think a divine hand interrupted. These days it seems we--meaning us and you--have a common globalist problem. If it's any consolation---I don't think we are doing much, if any, better than y'all addressing it. Bitching about it is, maybe, personally helpful as far as getting it out of the system but woefully short of a sufficient response.
edit on 26-4-2019 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Why do you keep stating there is a majority to stay in The EU then? You just stated you don't know.

Which polls? At least link to one of them.

The majority of polls got it wrong last time.

It wasn’t just a bad night for Europhiles and David Cameron, but also for pollsters, who misread the mood of the electorate in the run-up to the vote

www.theguardian.com...

Stop talking nonsense.

I haven't stated the majority want to stay.

I have stated the we shouldn't leave if the majority want to stay. The only way to know is a referendum.

If you are going accuse others of talking nonsense you might want to pay more attention.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Do even you not think that voting for Farage's party (actually, it's not his party but the actual founder/sponsor isn't a particularly pleasant person) has one shred of sense as it's a one trick pony that the narcissistic a hole wants to keep his ego stroked.

Are you keeping up? or have you been asleep?

Farage's Brexit Party to top EU elections in Britain - poll

LONDON (Reuters) - Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party will top next month’s election in Britain for the European parliament with 27 percent of the vote, far ahead of Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservatives, according to a survey published on Wednesday.

The Brexit Party is five percentage points ahead of Labour’s 22 percent, followed by the Conservatives on 15 percent and then the Green Party on 10 percent, the YouGov survey for The Evening Standard newspaper showed.

uk.reuters.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: alldaylong

You had a vote.

You don't get a "re-do" just because you don't like the results.

SMH

Just leave already!

I think you might be slightly confused about how democracy works.

From what i have seen it never was a democracy it is a Republic. Beside two wolves and one sheep deciding what is for supper is very accurate metaphor for Democracy. The soviets WERE a democracy after all!!

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Do you think we should leave even if the majority now don't want to?

Now that's on BIG assumption ...... and you know what is said about assuming?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   
They are neither liberal nor democratic.
Easy.
Orwell 101

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Got to love those founding fathers, making sure their interests would be kept safe.

Amazing that it actually worked in our favor for once. One is tempted to think a divine hand interrupted. These days it seems we--meaning us and you--have a common globalist problem. If it's any consolation---I don't think we are doing much, if any, better than y'all addressing it. Bitching about it is, maybe, personally helpful as far as getting it out of the system but woefully short of a sufficient response.

Strange how Trump didn't agree with you about the electoral college until it brought him the election though. At least for the most part we honour the majority - democracy for you I guess. Each to their own really.

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Do even you not think that voting for Farage's party (actually, it's not his party but the actual founder/sponsor isn't a particularly pleasant person) has one shred of sense as it's a one trick pony that the narcissistic a hole wants to keep his ego stroked.

Are you keeping up? or have you been asleep?

Farage's Brexit Party to top EU elections in Britain - poll

LONDON (Reuters) - Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party will top next month’s election in Britain for the European parliament with 27 percent of the vote, far ahead of Prime Minister Theresa May’s Conservatives, according to a survey published on Wednesday.

The Brexit Party is five percentage points ahead of Labour’s 22 percent, followed by the Conservatives on 15 percent and then the Green Party on 10 percent, the YouGov survey for The Evening Standard newspaper showed.

uk.reuters.com...

What has that got to do with my post which was that the Brexit party that old gurn face is fronting is anything other than a one trick pony that will do absolutely nothing (like UKIP) to actually do anything productive for any period of time that it's group of freeloaders will be in their seats?

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

I haven't stated the majority want to stay.
I have stated the we shouldn't leave if the majority want to stay.

And wasn't the referendum result (albeit for those who could be bothered

to vote) LEAVE

The only way to know is a referendum.

What did the British public vote in to *leave* if it wasnt a referendum???

If you are going accuse others of talking nonsense you might want to pay more attention.

If the cap fits...........................

posted on Apr, 26 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Strange how Trump didn't agree with you about the electoral college until it brought him the election though. At least for the most part we honour the majority - democracy for you I guess. Each to their own really.

Strange how he never said that but HRC and the DNC did.

DJT was referring to illegals voting in several states. He would challenge the results if he thought they CHEATED. Since they often get caught in the DNC cheating an reporting more votes than registered voters in the Leftist cities, we can tell who is cheating easily.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join