It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charges brought against Massachusetts Judge Shelley Joseph, accused of helping immigrant avoid ICE

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   
This was on ATS when it happened. Nice to see Justice is served. Basically ICE came to get the guy, and the Judge made the ICE agent leave and then helped the illegal escape and released him without bail on the charges pending against him too.

According to federal prosecutors, ICE issued an immigration detainer against Medina-Perez, who had previously been deported, following his arrest by Newton Police in March of 2018.

A plainclothes ICE agent showed up at Newton District Court for Medina-Perez’ arraignment, intending to take him into custody. But federal prosecutors allege that Joseph ordered the agent out of the courtroom and ordered the courtroom recorder turned off as she discussed Medina-Perez’ ICE detainer with his defense attorney and an Assistant District Attorney.

“ICE is gonna get him?” Joseph said, according to a transcript of the recorded portion of the conversation.

Joseph then ordered Medina-Perez released without bail and instructed Trial Court Officer Wesley MacGregor to accompany him to the downstairs lockup, while barring the ICE agent from entering the courtroom, according to prosecutors. MacGregor then allegedly allowed Medina-Perez to exit through a back door.

www.masslive.com... e.html

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04
So I haven’t been posting as of late, but I just saw this story and since It happened pretty close to me I was going to post it.

Nice to see such a liberal state as MA finally get something right for a change. These judges and lawyers have to be shown that they are not above the law.

+10 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
They should deport her.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: caf1550
Being from MA I was happy to see this too. I found it so disgusting when it happened.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Just because someone is a judge, that doesn't mean they get to pick and choose which laws get enforced. In this case, the judge not only did not enforce the law, they actively sought to circumvent the enforcement of it.

SHAME!

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: BomSquad

I am actually surprised they are facing consequences.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

I am actually surprised they are facing consequences.

Living in Massachusetts, so am I. I wish the MA AG, Maura Healey, would spend as much time enforcing the law as she spends trying to sue the current administration.

And better yet, MA Suffolk County DA Rachel Rollins should be removed for aiding and abetting lawlessness.
CHARGES TO BE DECLINED

TextCharges for which the Default is to Decline Prosecuting (unless supervisor permission is obtained).

Trespassing
Shoplifting (including offenses that are essentially shoplifting but charged as larceny)
Larceny under $250 Disorderly conduct
Disturbing the peace
Receiving stolen property
Minor driving offenses, including operating with a suspend or revoked license
Breaking and entering — where it is into a vacant property or where it is for the purpose of sleeping or seeking refuge from the cold and there is no actual damage to property
Wanton or malicious destruction of property
Threats – excluding domestic violence
Minor in possession of alcohol
Drug possession
Drug possession with intent to distribute
A stand alone resisting arrest charge, i.e. cases where a person is charged with resisting arrest and that is the only charge
A resisting arrest charge combined with only charges that all fall under the list of charges to decline to prosecute, e.g. resisting arrest charge combined only with a trespassing charge

I can somewhat understand not wanting to prosecute some of these crimes, but to make it a piece of standing policy that these crimes WILL NOT be prosecuted!?!? Anarchy!
edit on 25-4-2019 by BomSquad because: Messed up URL

+9 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 12:35 PM
link   

This signals that under A.G. William Barr, NOBODY is above the law.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Wow. Good to see this subversive idiot get hers.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A judge is supposed to uphold the laws of the United States. If that judge does not, then the judge should lose their job and future pension. I see people getting judges to file suits against the government, a lawyer should be doing that, a Judge should not be doing that. A judge filing a suit is no different than a citizen filing suit. A judge should use existing laws in proper context to challenge a law, If the supreme court rules against the judge's ruling because the ruling is not backed by the laws in place, that Judge should lose their job and pension including all benefits they get from the government. No exclusions.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Judge ,prosecutor, and bailiff?
Isn't that considered a conspiracy?
And obstructing?
edit on 25010000004 by JHumm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Some added information about the case and the person they helped:

Massachusetts judge who helped illegal immigrant escape ICE arrest indicted, federal authorities say

Newton District Court Judge Shelley M. Richmond Joseph and the court officer, identified in court documents as Wesley MacGregor, face several charges stemming from an April 2, 2018 incident in which the pair allegedly helped Jose Medina-Perez get out of the courthouse via a back door in order to elude the ICE agent who sought Medina-Perez.

“This case is about the rule of law. The allegations in today’s indictment involve obstruction by a sitting judge, that is intentional interference with the enforcement of federal law, and that is a crime," U.S. Attorney for the District of Massachusetts Andrew Lelling said Thursday.

Some additional info about the illegal immigrant in question (from the same article):

Medina-Perez, a twice-deported illegal immigrant with a fugitive warrant for drunken driving in Pennsylvania, had been in Joseph's courtroom in order to be arraigned on drug charges, the Boston Globe previously reported.

Medina-Perez’s freedom was short-lived. He was arrested a month later after the court hearing and again let go, this time by an immigration judge who freed him on bond, the Boston Globe reported. That case is currently pending, officials said. The 38-year-old native of the Dominican Republic had been previously deported in January 2003 and June 2007, ICE said. His real name is Oscar Manuel Peguero, although he goes by several aliases.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

not just the judge is guilty here. any of the accomplices should see punishment.

otherwise, it's just a case of finding another to circumvent the law; otherwise all that judge did wrong was get caught.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

The court officer who assisted is also charged iirc.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Drunk driving, drugs, and 2 prior deportations .. and in the North East they let him walk the streets. Just crazy.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad

Just because someone is a judge, that doesn't mean they get to pick and choose which laws get enforced. In this case, the judge not only did not enforce the law, they actively sought to circumvent the enforcement of it.

SHAME!

You are right the cops and prosecutors get to pick and choose.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Sad but true. We need enhanced accountability for them not doing their job. That doesn't include just letting the guilty go, it needs to include going after the innocent.

My brother is actually facing a problem where the cops in MA are trying to put him in jail for 7 years without him having broken a single law. One cop admitted he didn't break the law, the second said he doesn't know the law and doesn't care, he's going to get him anyways.
edit on 25-4-2019 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   

What I find really scary about this is the precedent it sets. Are all of the legislators who voted for legalizing pot in their home states guilty of conspiracy to violate Federal drug laws? Are the mayors of so-called sanctuary cities going to be indicted for the same reasons as the judge? This could open up a flood-gate of prosecutions that could greatly influence local and state politicians. I'm not shedding any tears for this judge as what she did was the height of arrogance and stupidity (two quite common traits in the judiciary) but IMHO the Feds already have enough power that they seem to use quite inappropriately more often than not.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Corruption seems to be rule, not the exception, now in the country.

What kind of hold does a drunk driving illegal have over a judge.

posted on Apr, 25 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

Wait, you are scared about the precedent that is set by prosecuting someone for assisting a criminal to escape the authorities?

The fact a Judge put a criminal with drug charges and a history of drunk driving back on the streets is not what worries you ....

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join