It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Princeton a cappella group upset SJW's by 'A little mermaid' song and performance lol

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:19 PM
link   
This popped up in a news feed today and I actually did laugh out loud about the state of 1st world society in the next generation:

A Princeton a cappella group won't sing "Kiss the Girl" from The Little Mermaid after complaints that its performance made audience members uncomfortable

In it's typical performance of “Kiss the Girl” from The Little Mermaid, one of Princeton University’s all-male a cappella groups, the Princeton Tigertones, selects a woman from the audience.

The singers will playfully dance with her for a bit, and right before the number wraps up, they’ll pick a man from the audience, too. They might pretend to groom him, and spin him around, and then pull the duo together. And at the end, they declare that, in a node to the song's title, they should kiss -- and the couple will comply, sometimes on with a peck on the cheek, sometimes briefly on the lips.

The complainant of course cried misogyny and also:

The tune, which in the film is crooned mostly by Sebastian the talking crab in an attempt to unite the voiceless Ariel and the handsome prince Eric, also is a “heteronormative attack” on “women’s rights to oppose the romantic and sexual liberties taken by men,”

I confess I have no idea what a heteronormative attack is, but it sounds like it is something bad, hope I don't become victim to one when I walk to the store in the dark later 😂

Anyway, I'm just throwing this out there for anyone who might be interested. The article is in a reasonably respected higher education organisation so I guess in those circles this is seen as a genuine complaint or issue.
I do grieve for our future though if people are uncomfortable or offended over silly things like this, and the performers capitulate.

That's all I really have to say about it, I think developed world is going bonkers lol, maybe you support such sensitive consideration for audiences who get offended like this, or maybe you think it is all becoming a bit silly now? All thoughts welcome...
A Cappella And Consent

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Ridiculous. I can only guess that "hetronormative" means the normalization of hetero-sexuality? Because it's only normal to be gay? Likely something along those lines. Stupid no matter how you slice it.

+7 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: RUokayHun

Society has GOT TO STOP giving in to the demands of crazy people.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Are they assuming a crustacean's gender?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wookiep
Ridiculous. I can only guess that "hetronormative" means the normalization of hetero-sexuality? Because it's only normal to be gay? Likely something along those lines. Stupid no matter how you slice it.

I would say that when 95% of the population is heterosexual, that would qualify as normal.
But apparently we cant say that....

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Are they assuming a crustacean's gender?

Awwwww stop being so crabby...

« Tiptoes out of thread whistling nonchalantly »

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:14 PM
link   

When women get their monthlies, (also known as PBS) they get irrational and use made-up words and cry a lot.

It's a "chick-thing".

So that explains the gals in college getting all weepy. They probably watched a Hallmark movie or something right before.

Usually wine, chocolate and a good bout of sammich-making clears it right up!

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   

great!

Another new word to add to the dictionary, if it;'s not been added already.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I read the comments on the page. Here's the one I liked:

Helen • 5 months ago

So, a student raises an obvious issue about a kind of creepy performance stunt, asks for it to be discontinued, and the performers.....agree.

Can't just that be the story?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
So you can’t sing a song about kissing a girl anymore ?

I wonder what Katy Perry’s Twitter feed looks like ? Lol

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Had to look it up to be sure, but to my astonishment, "heteronormative" is actually a real word.

I wish I didn't know that.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
UPDATE>>>
Intrigued by the word heteronormative I wondered if that meant the depiction of cis male and female couples in itself was something negative, and if so, why.
So I joined an LGBT chat room after a quick search, and asked what the problem would be with the performance because I didn't get it.
The replies I got were interesting, it was more about the singer's requesting female and male members of the audience without confirming their sexual orientation first. The female could have been gay then would have felt pressure to present a heterosexual image for the Performance.

I kid you not 😂

Thanks for the replies folks, sorry to do a general reply but on old mobile and it takes ages to type.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown

Katy Perry's twit feed is fine because she's not making a heteronormative attack. She's singing about a homonormative thing which is just fine. And if the Princeton group called up two women, this would be lauded as brave and subversive, not a creepy, heteronormative attack a la Katy Perry's "I Kissed a Girl".

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
So if a same sex couple was brought on to the stage and had the same thing happen, would that make the complainers "homophobic"?

Also what in the crappos is a "cis" anything? It's just male and female people adding all this other crappos is just that … crappos. Do millennialist Bio-scientists look at a set of chromosomes and ask if they are male/male or male/female XY set?

"Stupid people breed stupid cultures, so smarten up"

-some random guy I invented-

edit on 24-4-2019 by Guyfriday because: you took the time to read this

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Perfectly fine, since its not a hetero action...

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

That's what I find weird about this. No one is upset because two strangers are brought up and the group tries to entice them to kiss. Instead, someone is upset because no one asks their orientation so they might be trying to entice a gay person to kiss a straight one. No thought that this is just goofy awkwardness no matter which two people are involved as if heter strangers enjoy randomly kissing each other all the time.
edit on 24-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

The goofy bit is part of the performance I imagine. Sounds like a fun night of singing with audience participation to me, and I'd probably have a laugh if they were gigging something like that at a venue in town. It's all about context. I think of a comedy night with a cappella and a few beers.

This complaint of assuming sexuality like its oppression is nuts though, maybe 10 years from now we'll all be wearing wristbands to indicate gender and sexuality?

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I don’t even bother looking up words like heteronormative anymore.

They all basically mean that something offended some minute minority of social justice warriors.

If they want to be offended they should try eating bowl of Cheerios with a fork .

edit on 24-4-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

It's probably ok as it was about a girl kissing another girl..no men involved

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Noa Wollstein complained LMFAO. thats all you need to know, if you know how to read it right

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join