It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philippines' Duterte gives Canada 1 week to take back garbage or 'we will declare war'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Canadian troops have been in war since Iraqi war. 

Yes, relatively small numbers of troops whose service I do not besmirch, but there is a difference of a foreign deployment of troops to a foreign combat theatre and an ongoing violent insurgency at home.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

He blamed the drugs, ok fine.
Then he blames muslims, then Catholics, and now Canada for garbage? It's not canadas fault, it was a company that sent the wrong garbage. Yes, the wrong trash. His nation was already accepting trash to begin with.

The guy is a nut job. Threatening to declare war over garbage, that they accepted.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

gulfnews.com...

He actually looks to be really improving the country. I mean, come on, when "his mouth" (a complaint over him using salty language as president) is one of the 3 complaints listed about his presidency so-far, you can basically say he's owning the position and doing a great job. An adult who curses... wow, how horrible.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Every day, Toronto trash trucks cross into S.E. Detroit area to dispose of Toronto's trash...some 100 trucks daily from there to our landfills in Sumpter, Salem, Romulus Mich....

Big $$$$$ in that...( and I'm sure organized crime has fingers in the process)....

Let Canada bury their own trash....

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Oh for Pete's sakes, those 103 containers better not end up in my backyard! Sure looks like Canada solution was to increase dumping their waste in Michigan landfills from 2017-2018.

Canadian trash again filling Michigan landfills

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm more on about this specific issue. What he does in his nation is fine. But he is on a war path consistantly, and is stepping out of bounds on this one. Creating a problem that isnt canadas problem.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Trudeau agreed to "take the trash out" so to speak in 2015. So how can you say this is not a Canada problem? The trash is still there, thus it is still a problem.

Edit add: duterte is no lackluster Obama. He has proven his red lines have meaning and reasoning. Respect is only honored when one follows through with agreements. Canada agreed.
edit on 4 24 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm more on about this specific issue. What he does in his nation is fine. But he is on a war path consistantly, and is stepping out of bounds on this one. Creating a problem that isnt canadas problem.

Except, as a Canadian company, it is Canada's problem. The compact they signed holds the receiving nation harmless while holding the shipping nation responsible. Obviously Duterte is a fan of hyperbole, and he's not declaring armed conflict with Canada... it seems his "attack of war" on them will be sending their medical and hazmat waste back to Canada, whether Canada wants it back or not.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

They did not accept it. It was illegally mislabeled as well.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Pipe dream of attacking Canada?
The Man with the Tan wouldn't allow it, sorry.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: donktheclown
Pipe dream of attacking Canada?
The Man with the Tan wouldn't allow it, sorry.

I would be more concerned about Queen Elizabeth II. As Commander-In-Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces, i don't think she would want to go to war at the age of 93. She just wants to walk the dogs.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Let's look at this convention a bit closer...
en.wikipedia.org...

The Basel Convention on the Control of Transboundary Movements of Hazardous Wastes and Their Disposal, usually known as the Basel Convention, is an international treaty that was designed to reduce the movements of hazardous waste between nations, and specifically to prevent transfer of hazardous waste from developed to less developed countries

Article 9 of the convention places responsibility for compliance and clean-up on the shoulders of the exporting NATION, not the exporting corporation. Thus, legally speaking, as a ratifier of the convention, Canada is responsible for cleaning this up to the satisfaction of the convention and the Philipines.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
He's a fentanyl addict who gave people in his country the go ahead to kill anyone they suspect of using drugs. He bragged about throwing people from helicopters and people he's killed in the past. He has no problem murdering or having people murdered for not doing what he wants.

The people who support him are generally the same people who think it's ok to kill other people to "clean things up". Whatever the hell that means.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Yikes, this is embarrassing.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I would be more concerned about Queen Elizabeth II. As Commander-In-Chief of the Canadian Armed Forces, i don't think she would want to go to war at the age of 93. She just wants to walk the dogs.

And yet what they should be most concerned about is the country they are threatening war against. Canada has a 2trillion gdp to their 300billion with about a third of the population.

Do people think you win wars with feelings and intentions?

The arms race alone would be hilariously one sided considering Canada sits on top of the largest weapons cache in the world and has the money to blow.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Duerte's theatrics aside, Canadian politico's should have dealt with this issue a long time ago.
2nd.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks
whatever the hell that means

That's how I find most of your posts. His approval rating is in the 70s and the people love him for working for the country.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DeadFoot

Actually what they should be concerned about is countries like Canada using them as an illegal dumping ground, and 4 years after saying they would fix it they have done literally nothing.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I mean obviously Canada is in the wrong on the issue, but that aside we are also discussing how stupid it is to threaten war against someone who is obviously not afraid of you.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DeadFoot
I mean obviously Canada is in the wrong on the issue, but that aside we are also discussing how stupid it is to threaten war against someone who is obviously not afraid of you.

He said what was needed to put this issue squarely in the spotlight.

Nobody honestly thinks Canada and Philippines:

A) Could go to war against each other,
B) Would go to war with each other over this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join