It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Rogers reminds us that ain't nothing changed ...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Have you ever read through a collection of Will Rogers quotes? I'm not sure if the man gives me hope insofar as he makes me realize that things are pretty much as screwed then as they are now and we've made it this far, or if he makes me despair as I realize that we're on an inexorable downward spiral from where we were back in his day.

Here are few sweet fruits that I've cherry picked.

Some of the quotes are incredibly timely:

"I would love to see Mr. (Henry) Ford in there, really. I don't know who started the idea that a President must be a Politician instead of a Business man. A Politician can't run any other kind of business. So there is no reason why he can run the U.S. That's the biggest single business in the World."

"You know the more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best. My only solution would be to keep em both out one term and hire my good friend Henry Ford to run the whole thing, and give him a commission on what he saves us."

"When newspapers knock a man a lot, there is sure to be a lot of good in him."

The Senate just sits and waits till they find out what the president wants, so they know how to vote against him."

"A president just can't make much showing against congress. They lay awake nights, thinking up things to be against the president on."

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

"About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation."

"Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously, and the politicians as a joke, when it used to be vice versa."

"I know things are going to get better in spite of both sides. Then when things do get better, then you'll hear the yell that will go up. The Democrats will swear that recovery was due to them. Now the Republicans, they'll say it was due to them. Nobody wanted to claim the credit for the country blowing up, but wait until it starts picking up and they'll both be on it then. See?"

"America can carry herself and get along in pretty fair shape, but when she stops and picks up the whole world and puts it on her shoulders she just can’t “get it done."

"If I was a President and wanted something I would claim I didn’t want it. Congress has not given any President anything he wanted in the last 10 years. Be against anything and then he is sure to get it."

"In this country people don’t vote for, they vote against."

Some of them are incredibly timeless:

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.

The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets.

This country has come to feel the same when Congress is in session as when the baby gets hold of a hammer.

"Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em."

"If by some divine act of providence we could get rid of both parties and hire some good men, like any other good business does, that would be sitting pretty."

"Party politics is the most narrow minded occupation in the World."

"We cuss the lawmakers. But I notice we’re always perfectly willing to share in any of the sums of money that they might distribute."

Some of them make one stop and think:

"This country has gotten where it is in spite of politics, not by the aid of it. That we have carried as much political bunk as we have and still survived shows we are a super nation."

"Democrats never agree on anything, that's why they're Democrats. If they agreed with each other, they would be Republicans."

I don't think either one of them knows what it's all about, to be honest with you. Both sides are doing nothing but just looking towards the next election."

"You can't say civilization don't advance ... in every war they kill you in a new way."

"Income tax has made more liars out of the American people than golf."

"Ten men in the country could buy the world and ten million can’t buy enough to eat."

"What the country needs is dirtier fingernails and cleaner minds."

"Somebody is always telling us in the papers how to prevent war. There is only one way in the World to prevent war, and that is, FOR EVERY NATION TO TEND TO ITS OWN BUSINESS.

And some are good life advice:

"We are here just for a spell and then pass on. So get a few laughs and do the best you can. Live your life so that whenever you lose it, you are ahead."

"A Man only learns by two things, one is reading, and the other is association with smarter people."

"No man is great if he thinks he is."

"Nothing is as stupid as an educated man if you get him off the thing he was educated on."

"I love a dog, he does nothing for political reasons."

"A man that don’t love a horse, there is something the matter with him."

Do you have any favorites?
:
edit on 2019 4 24 by incoserv because: added a thought.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 01:49 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Will was a smart and witty guy. He had a great take on life.

I used to go to Will Rodgers Airport as a kid with my Dad and watch the planes come and go. Wiley Post Airport also, both her in Ok. Will and Wiley died together in a plane crash up in Alaska.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 02:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

I used to go to Will Rodgers Airport as a kid with my Dad and watch the planes come and go. Wiley Post Airport also, both her in Ok. Will and Wiley died together in a plane crash up in Alaska.

I didn't know that. Didn't even remember he'd died in a plane crash. My grandfather used to talk about him, quote him. I wish more people remembered him and took the things he said seriously.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 03:42 AM
link   
"Party politics is the most narrow minded occupation in the World."
Hammer meet nail.....

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
this is less to do with politics and more with a population drugged and entertained to death so that all they can do is wag the finger or point the finger.

when was the last time the US population took a stand against corrupt government tactics?

when was the last time there was a massive protest against anything concerned with government policies which had actual bearing on our well being?

other first world countries March, rise against, speak about and topple corruption.

the US government simply pits it's citizens against one another; it's us vs them...

well the government does as it pleases since there's no resistance...unless it's for "trans" to use bathroom x y or z....or skin color x y or z.... never government corruption.

Trump 2020

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: odzeandennz

Most of the country is too busy holding two jobs trying to make ends meet to protest anything. They spend their free time watching crap or getting drunk and stoned because by the time they are done working that's all they have the energy for.

Of course this life draining amounts of work is all a part of the plan. If everyone is too zombified from overworking to protest then they can't be a problem.

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

The irony...

People living in a lower middle class prison in "the land of the free"

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

originally posted by: mtnshredder

I didn't know that. Didn't even remember he'd died in a plane crash. My grandfather used to talk about him, quote him. I wish more people remembered him and took the things he said seriously.

Yes, he was a avid aviation promotor and he and Wiley were close friends, he was also close with Charles Lindbergh. Will and Wiley were surveying postal routes between the US and Russia when their plane went down in a lagoon in Alaska killing both instantly.

Here's a pic of the plane they crashed in. Will on the wing and Wiley at the prop.

He was also the most read political newspaper columnist in the nation. He was a extremely interesting man, well ahead of his time. He was born part Cherokee, worked in Vaudeville, Film, radio, Ambassador to Mexico and even became Mayor of Beverly Hill at some point.

Growing up in Ok and having a father into aviation as well as myself, I became intrigued with the man as well as Wiley. I did a fairly large paper on Will when I was young. He was very well versed to say the least.

One of my favorite quotes from him.

"I joked about every prominent man of my time, but I never met a man I didn't like." I am so proud of that, I can hardly wait to die so it can be carved.

edit on 24-4-2019 by mtnshredder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I know you posted these, just wanted to reiterate how profound and ahead of his time he was. Hard to believe most of his quotes are from back in the Twenty's and Thirty's. Very Orwellian in many respects.

"About all I can say for the United States Senate is that it opens with a prayer and closes with an investigation."

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.

"In this country people don’t vote for, they vote against."

"A president just can't make much showing against congress. They lay awake nights, thinking up things to be against the president on."

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

all of the above good find

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
this is less to do with politics and more with a population drugged and entertained to death so that all they can do is wag the finger or point the finger.

when was the last time the US population took a stand against corrupt government tactics?

when was the last time there was a massive protest against anything concerned with government policies which had actual bearing on our well being?

other first world countries March, rise against, speak about and topple corruption.

the US government simply pits it's citizens against one another; it's us vs them...

well the government does as it pleases since there's no resistance...unless it's for "trans" to use bathroom x y or z....or skin color x y or z.... never government corruption.

Trump 2020

When was the last time you did any of that you are "protesting" about , besides hit and run reply on ATS?

Way to try and derail the thread

posted on Apr, 24 2019 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Puppylove

The irony...

People living in a lower middle class prison in "the land of the free"

And yet its less than ideal, and definihtely at this point not what our founding fathers want.

Its allowed you to live a life you enjoy hasnt it? I have read your post for years before I joined, and even more since then , because youre very vocal about the politics.

Doesnt seem youre doing too bad and you boast a lot.

Please again tell us how horrible the country you live in, that has afforded you so much.

Hypocritical leftist sycophant

top topics

join