It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Not everyone is smart. Not everyone does well in school. Not everyone can earn a college degree. Or even a high school diploma.

But the current system doesn't care about these things ether. It's based around how much money you have.

How many rich dummies wasted a professors time?
How many smart poor people never get the chance?

Maybe the dems don't have all the answers but at least they are trying to change a clearly broken system.

What's the repub plan for fixing our education system? I watch fox and read right leaning websites but I haven't heard anything about education reform being a repub platform in 2020. Please link to it if I'm wrong.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

As far as I'm aware the test hasn't really changed. But scores do get recalibrated every decade or so and kids consistently score higher everytime.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Tartuffe

Because it will lead to a stronger society. The reason humanity has made it as far as it has is not because of wealth accumulation. It's because we looked out for one another.

Neanderthals were smarter and stronger than us, yet we're the ones left standing because we were a more communal species.

Why should that change now that we're at the top of the food chain?

But nothing is stopping you or I from paying for someone’s tuition, just like nothing is forcing us to. We still have that freedom, for now.

What’s stopping you from paying someone is tuition?

link   

Because no middle class family can send their children to college without going into debt.

It didn't used to be that way in america. Why is it that way now?

link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

WHY DO POLITICIANS NEED TO BE INVOLVED AT ALL???

JESUS CHRIST!

It's effing politicians that create the god-damned problems in the first place then we run (like effing sheep) to the same god-damned politicians to fix the problems they created in the first effing place!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Student loans should not be forgiven...

I paid back about $70k in loans and made career and life decisions based on my ability to pay back the debt in the future. These little snots can do the same...

If Liz Warren wants to help, then she needs to be advocating the government:

Privatize student loans
Require colleges/universities to hold at least 10% of the loan on their books
Accept that not everyone needs or should go to college

We have a student loan crisis because government is unnecessarily subsidizing education. More subsidization is not going to fix it.

link   

a reply to: shooterbrody

Why is it our ongoing job to protect Israel?

IMO it is not
Do we have a base or bases there?

link   

Wasting alot of time and money on a bad idea isnt going to help anyone.
Her idea will fail miserably.
Just because the other side of the isle hasn't proposed a better plan yet doesnt mean we should use the already proposed bad plan.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Exactly.

Universal healthcare also makes more sense from an economic sense because it leads to less sick days and higher productivity.

How? When you're sick, you're sick. Universal Healthcare isn't going to heal you any faster than regular healthcare. I'm better off paying a hair over $300.00 a year for uninsured checkups and blood work. You can find a doctor who gives much lower prices to uninsured patients in most cities and they run a program with local pharmacies for prescription costs that are as low or lower than prescription costs for those whop are insured.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Many of our family members also had to suffer under the shadow of Polio.

Does that mean we should abolish the Polio vaccine because of how people had to suffer from that horrible disease?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

Because no middle class family can send their children to college without going into debt.

Because government subsidizes student loans.... jeezus fricking christ.. How dense are you guys?

Since students can get virtually unlimited financing with NO UNDERWRITING OF CREDIT RISK, universities are free to keep raising their tuition because demand exceeds supply.

If student loans were curtailed, universities (especially lower ranked schools) would be forced to offer cheaper tuition to attract students.

The increased tuition is paying for dumb sh*t like fancy gyms, climbing walls, food halls, and luxury dorm rooms. Education has not changed, but now going to college is like a freaking spa weekend getaway.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

They are adults by the time the go to college. Adults can work to support themselves.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

How's your productivity at work when you have a sinus infection?

Now imagine you don't have the money to go to the doctor to get looked at and get the azithromycin prescription that will knock it out in a day.

Do you see how easy access to healthcare and medicine could lead to higher productivity?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Many of our family members also had to suffer under the shadow of Polio.

Does that mean we should abolish the Polio vaccine because of how people had to suffer from that horrible disease?

Dumb analogy...

First off, polio isn't a personal choice. Secondly, polio vaccine doesn't cost a couple hundred grand per dose. Curing polio has societal benefits. Suzie studying lesbian art theory on taxpayer dime has questionable societal benefit beyond preparing her to make Grande Lattes at Starbucks. If she wants to study that, by all means she can do it on her own dime or as a hobby.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

This is the reality that we live in currently. So I'm working with what I got.

If you want to vote for tiny government that has far far less power then it has now. Then I am right there with you.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Your voting to do nothing.

I am not.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:57 AM
link   

How's your productivity at work when you have a sinus infection?

Now imagine you don't have the money to go to the doctor to get looked at and get the azithromycin prescription that will knock it out in a day.

Do you see how easy access to healthcare and medicine could lead to higher productivity?

The problem is you can make that dumb argument ABOUT ANYTHING. At some point, you have to be responsible for your own life. I'd be far more productive at work if my employer just paid for my kid's nanny. You know, I'd be more productive at work if I could commute in a S550 Benz instead of my jeep. You know, I'd be more productive if I had a 5000 square foot house instead of my 2000 square foot house.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

a reply to: Bluntone22

So then the Republicans ruined the university system.

I mean the government first got in to the student loan game in 1958.

Maybe we should give the Dems a chance to fix it.

Using that logic the Republicans ended slavery so they should be better at dealing with race relations.

Wouldn't we be better dealing with the issues of today with the politicians of today?

Not to mention, the first government subsidized student loans were started in 1965 by democrats. Maybe it's time to give the Republicans a chance to fix it.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   

A more educated populace doesn't have societal benefits?

Polio wasn't contagious?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

A more educated populace doesn't have societal benefits?

Polio wasn't contagious?

Not all educations are created equal.
And what good are degrees if there are no jobs.

Maybe we should focus on better high school education since it's already free
edit on 23-4-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join