It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elizabeth warren, college for all, debt cancellation

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: rickymouse

Trade schools would be included in my plan.

I also think college should be streamlined.
I really dont care what the chemistry major thinks about hamlet.
Eliminate classes not directly related to a degree.

You do that and it will lower the cost of college to an affordable price because there won't be useless books to buy or useless professors to pay.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

So then the Republicans ruined the university system.

AHAHAHAHAHA

wait wait

Maybe we should give the Dems a chance to fix it.

AHAHAHAHAHA

NOTHING will get fixed as long as that is the prevailing thought.

Is this after the dems fix the electoral college?
Or after the dems fix the supreme court?

What have the dems fixed in the last 50 or so years?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So no actual response to the countless studies that show countries where healthcare is more accessible have higher worker productivity?

Feel free to show us where it's been found that sick workers who can't afford to the doctor are better workers than healthy workers.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Bluntone22

I've said in the past that the US could easily transition to the Dutch model of healthcare. It still keeps private insurance but requires those companies to operate as a non-profit for the most part.

As to your anecdote, Mick Jagger lives in the US.

The hospitals around me are already non profit but that doesnt seem to bother them charging an arm and a leg.....lol

And jagger probably lives here to avoid taxes in Britain if I had to guess.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:51 AM
link   
so much for a discussion about higher education....
breaks down the same way all the real world issues do

trump bad
dems good

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

In another post I mentioned trade schools as well.

We need to invest in education for people in this country. Or they will keep on being illiterate.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

They could also trim the idea of degrees not directly related to a career field, but if you put lending back into the hands of private lenders that might serve the same purpose.

"You want $50K to learn Womyn's Studies? How do you plan to repay my investment?"

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

I'm trying

It's not in the mud pit

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Money doesn't teach people to read, write, and do arithmetic. Schools honestly don't do that either, not for most of the kids who aren't learning.

Most of the lack of education we see starts in the home environment.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

a reply to: infolurker

Now to be fair here.
High schools are pushing kids into college.
My daughter is a sophomore and her school is all over her about higher education.

It make them look good.

The kids are in the middle getting screwed

Maybe she'll choose a community college. My son will be a Senior next year and said there's no way he's going to a major university where he'll lose his freedom of speech. But we do have an outstanding community college, in a big red city, that is just as big as a university but is occupied my more students that lean Republican than democrat. That's where he wants to go.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:55 AM
link   

I'm trying

It's not in the mud pit

I applaud your effort.
We need to have an actual discussion about education.
How the issue is resolved is far more important than whose fault it is.

Educated citizens don't require government solutions.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Yes, hospitals are non-profit in a lot of cases. Most pharmacies operate at a loss. The problem is that insurance companies and Big Pharma set the prices to maximize their profit.

Actual healthcare providers are dependent on the prices these companies set. And insurance companies don't even really provide a service.

That's one of the biggest problems with healthcare in the US. We have a middleman that doesn't actually provide a service but sets all the prices.

The other is that the government invests billions of dollars in to medical research. And yet the companies they fund rack in all the money.

Why is that allowed?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

Those already exist. This will mean that the smartest kids from each demographic will be able to go to college.

Why don't you want smart, poor, white kids to go to go to university?

It also gives kids freer access to trade schools. Isn't one of the biggest complaints of the Right that no one knows a trade skill anymore? This would give kids the path to pursue a trade and get off the street.

The price tag may seem scary but in the end it essentially solves most of the problems the Right complains about. It gives us a student population that will actually achieve things. It brings back American Made. And it gets kids off the street because it gives them options other than slinging drugs on the corner.

In the end the American economy will be stronger and we will easily make the money back.

So where's the bad?

But if drugs are legalized, kids won't be selling them. Democrats said so. It will create a crime free country. Does that mean we can forget all of what you said since this should bring back American Made?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Thank God she’ll never be elected POTUS.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

You need to start a thread on the topic.
We are getting off the subject.

But I totally agree with you. We will have to have universal healthcare eventually so we should figure it out now.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 08:59 AM
link   

I'm not for any new spending programs unless the government balances it out of something else.

If the fed dialed back war to pay for this, 1.5 trillion over ten years is a good investment. We pay for k-12, if most of these universities are government funded anyways, why do kids have to pay a mortgage to go?

Will this help the country in the long run? I think so.

I'm not an Elizabeth Warren fan, but this isn't a worse idea Than many I've seen from politicians.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Warren wants to do to student loans what democrats did for housing loans.

It crashed the economy and led us into a decade-long recession.

Which is probably their plan. . . . .

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I agree we need to educate our kids but I think my plan is better.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Where did I ever say Trump was bad?

I wasn't the one that tried to bring politics in to this. But I'm going to respond with facts when the opportunity is provided.

Tell me right now how the consistently unproven economic model of Trickle Down is good but providing universal education/trade schooling is bad.

One could actually create a booming economy. As has been seen in other countries. The other has shown that it leads to stagnant middle class wages and recession.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Would you be ok with it if the funding got cut from another area of spending rather than new taxes and....

They can only go to state funded schools. If you're a state funded school, no more frivolous spending on campus that makes tutition 50,000 a year. If you want to pay a coach 50 million a year, go private. If a building needs marble facade walls, go private.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join