It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Mayor Wants To Ban Steel Skyscrapers

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:11 AM
link   
This isn't about steel. If you did a simple google search you will find numerous articles explaining what glass and steel skyscrapers are. It's a term used in the industry, I work in it, we build them, we are currently building a massive one in Calgary right now.

The issue isn't the steel, you need steel to make a skyscraper, end of story.
The issue is the amount of energy needed to keep the things cool during summer months and even winter months, yes even during winter the AC is running. It's more cutting down on the glass walls than the steel. NY has some of the strictest rules in engineering since 9 / 11 for buildings, cutting out steel is out of the question.

We worked on a project in NYC that had more tons of steel in it's structure than the one we are focusing on now, like three times over or something like that. and they are the same height.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: highvein

There are high rise buildings designed from the outset as energy efficient as is possible.

The key in the article is in the use of the word 'retrofit'.

You cant retrofit a steel high rise building to make it not a steel high rise building. You can retrofit such a building with efficient air-con, power distribution, reticulated water systems, solar heat capture and insulation.

To make the assumptions that it is steel construction that this guy wants to ban requires a genius level of dumb. Truly FoxNews worthy. Oh look, you included a FoxNews video. It is complete.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

My guess is that steel is a “republican” business. Pretty much everything the left hates, is a “republican” business.

The left hates the meat industry because republicans own the farms.

The left hates oil and coal, because republicans own the mines and oil fields.

The left hates banks and wall street, because republicans own them.

Churches? Republicans.

The left is reactionary. They hate anything that helps their enemies.

The right hates the left because the people are unwilling to accept themselves as slave labor.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

My guess is that steel is a “republican” business. Pretty much everything the left hates, is a “republican” business.

The left hates the meat industry because republicans own the farms.

The left hates oil and coal, because republicans own the mines and oil fields.

The left hates banks and wall street, because republicans own them.

Churches? Republicans.

The left is reactionary. They hate anything that helps their enemies.

The right hates the left because the people are unwilling to accept themselves as slave labor.

The future Commies on the Left were the Slave owners in the Civil War era if you will search history, but you won't to rewrite facts and won't care what it was like. Your so called right set them free. How can you ignore such an important fact?

Working for a wage that you call slave labor in America and western country's is a gold mine compared to Cuba, China , Indonesia and the old Soviet Union.

That is just OVEREACH. Have you no shame to stretch things to the point it is like a lie?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Elections and Decisions have consequences, especially when the elected don't represent the people

New York City is shrinking. Newly available Census Bureau population estimates indicate the Big Apple’s population is getting smaller for the second year in a row.

Beyond the city, more people have fled New York state than any other over this decade and that could cause a loss in congressional representation.

New York City's Population Is Shrinking: Demographic Trends • State could lose seats in Congress after 2020 Census • New county level population data released by Census Bureau New York City is shrinking.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:12 AM
link   

The Mayor and his party are a bunch of fools:

www.livescience.com...

n 1992, it was thought that volcanic degassing released something like 100 million tons of CO2 each year. Around the turn of the millennium, this figure was getting closer to 200. The most recent estimate, released this February, comes from a team led by Mike Burton, of the Italian National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology – and it’s just shy of 600 million tons. It caps a staggering trend: A six-fold increase in just two decades. These inflating figures, I hasten to add, don't mean that our planet is suddenly venting more CO2. Humanity certainly is; but any changes to the volcanic background level would occur over generations, not years. The rise we’re seeing now, therefore, must have been there all along: As scientific progress is widening our perspective, the daunting outline of how little we really know about volcanoes is beginning to loom large.

I was the Engineer - Project Manager that manufactured one of the Modules as a supplier to the UTC Power PureCell 400. It ran on natural gas and could heat and cool office buildings such as those in New York City. It was the size of a small trailer truck.

EMISSIONS3,4NOx ..................................................... 0.02 lbs/MWh (0.009 kg/MWh)CO ....................................................... 0.01 lbs/MWh (0.005 kg/MWh)VOC ..................................................... 0.01 lbs/MWh (0.005 kg/MWh)SO2.......................................................................................Negligible ParticulateMatter.................................................................. NegligibleCO21(electric only)............................................ 998 lbs/MWh(454 kg/MWh) (with High-Grade heat recovery)................................815 lbs/MWh5(371 kg/MWh) (with full heat recovery)........................................ 485 lbs/MWh5(220 kg/MWh)

For whatever reason the Obama administration did not support the manufacture of Fuel Cells nor CNG vehicles in the USA. Sure they release CO2 but at a much reduced rate as compared to coal, gasoline and diesel. The Purcell 400 did fry parts but would be covered via warranty, but my guess is that the Koreans [Doosan PureCell® System] and their engineering will figure it out. Just sayin
edit on 23-4-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 23-4-2019 by Waterglass because: typo

edit on 23-4-2019 by Waterglass because: added

edit on 23-4-2019 by Waterglass because: added

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Well, let’s start by knocking those old energy inefficient building down right now. Get a bunch of 3D printers and start building new ones out of thermal plastic. Got to be better because it has thermal right there, right?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:17 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

To make the assumptions that it is steel construction that this guy wants to ban requires a genius level of dumb. Truly FoxNews worthy. Oh look, you included a FoxNews video. It is complete.

I know right. His words, not mine.
I agree he is no genius.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The steel blocks the monitoring devices they want to to watch people with.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

So no skyscrapers made of adobe and straw bales?

I have always imagined a skyscraper is a pretty inefficient means to house businesses and what-not. You don't really see them anywhere except where real estate is at a premium, i.e. center of urban areas.

With that said, it seems reasonable they could be improved but the appearance seems to be a major player in the design. If you build the whole outside in glass, you've made a green house.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Churches? Republicans.

I like that statement the best!
Churches = Republican Businesses...

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Can you imagine the entire city of New York being retrofitted with adobe huts and outhouses. I think this is the direction these Leftist morons are headed.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
This is amazing. WHo elected this nut job?

New Yorkers

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

What!?!? No, we hate the Left because, well, the left is stinking dumb as all hell and seemingly intent on dragging those of us who aren't dumb down into the abyss with them. Life is a trade-off... money is finite and we don't live in a Gene Roddenbury work of science fiction. Not everyone will succeed, but everyone has the same opportunity to succeed on their own merits... those who fail and fail monumentally, well, Social Darwinism is a thing.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Well, let’s start by knocking those old energy inefficient building down right now. Get a bunch of 3D printers and start building new ones out of thermal plastic. Got to be better because it has thermal right there, right?

Isn't that one of the planks of the Green New Deal? Overhauling every single building in the US to make it energy efficient? They can start on NYC. They won't even have one building done by the time the whole thing is scrapped and they'll have spent the entire budget of the project.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I’m all for rammed earth building practices. You can ram it into plastic two liter bottles and mortar them together. Maybe even plastic straws so they are more than single use? Pro tip, face the lids inside so random jokers don’t uncap your house and make it collapse.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Yeah, except the plastic tends to get really brittle after sun exposure. So wouldn't your building start springing leaks in a year or so?

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I actually think that'd be kinda cool lookin'...

Much more intimate, less impersonal. No ten minute rides to the top of the building to your cubicle, or "office".

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Stucco is your friend.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Actually, it might not be the worst idea ever to discourage people from putting so much stuff in a small area that the only way you can keep adding more stuff is to stack it on top of all the other stuff that's already there. Like do we really even need more crap in NYC?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join