It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Powerful pulses of radio waves coming from galactic center

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by Die Trying
I do find it intresting that the signal last 10min and happens every 77min. Its like its some sort of deliberate message but what is the message?

It's a billboard for 10-77, the inter-gallactic equivalent of our 7-11. They have great black hole burgers and they never close.

That is 10 hour Day 77 Day week then...

Sounds like the object is Very very large and turning very fast... perhaps in orbit a few hundred light years away from Sagitarious A......

Neon.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 02:52 PM
link   
This is just speculation, but you have to figure, the average gravity at the center of the galaxy has to have an ENORMOUS force exerted to keep the arms and such in check, and because of the shape of our galaxy, it would suggest a regular speed that does not vary (much). My guess is what we're hearing is the noise of all this concentrated matter and gravity rotating.

Either that, or simply the massive amounts of force and gravity at the center have created a hitherto unknown celestial body, like they said "maybe some sort of new pulsar".

If it's aliens, though, it would make sense, as the center of the galaxy would provide the most stars within the shortest distance of each other.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This sounds like something they would have detected already. Did this just start happening? Or is this the first time they ever pointed the array at the center of the galaxy? I did not see anything answering this in the article.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Well I was joking about it at first, but you have to admit it's a little eerie. If you believe we're waiting for a sign in the sky, this would seem to be it. It has the right signature - 10 x 77 - and it's coming from somewhere near the center of the galaxy which is here...

They call it the "Pillars of Creation", part of the Eagle Nebula and I don't care what anybody says, that IS a horse's head bottom left. You all can interpret the other figures how you want, god, angels, clouds of gas, whatever floats your boat.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwatkins
This sounds like something they would have detected already. Did this just start happening? Or is this the first time they ever pointed the array at the center of the galaxy? I did not see anything answering this in the article.

I think actually it must have somthing to do with research that has enabled us to detect magnetic objects from a great distance.

I still maintain that it makes perfect sence for a strong signal such as that...

10 - 77 - is that a co-ordinate? 01 07 07?????

Is this related to a so called signal that was supposed to be detected late last year by SETI... significant enough for it to appear in main steam press.....

The signal was supposed to be at the same frequency that hydrogen.....

It would make perfect sence I say....

Neon....

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
very interesting indeed, iwonder its a regualr signal 77mins and 10 min send and repeats hmm how many a day and are all the 10 min radio signals the same????? 18.7 signals a day in 24 hours

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
oops a doulbe post

[edit on 7-3-2005 by blobby]

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
10/77 is an interesting ratio, in decimal form it is one of those repeating numbers: 0.129870129870129870........................, the 129870 keeps repeating itself. If is a 'sign' of some sort perhaps that is important.

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Well, if it is an intelligent signal, then the answer to what "10-77" means is obvious.

It's the latest score to the galaxy's most popular sports game.

As to what the game is, I have no idea, being as I'm in the backwaters of the Milky Way, but if they're anything like my friends and I in our youth, it is a rather interesting game we used to call "Bachiball"

It's basically a game where you have a dark room, with a lot of people, and one stick. The last person standing wins. I think this game would translate well across any culture or species.

apc

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Weren't there only 5 pulses? Also if it were intelligent the actual numbers of 10 and 77 wouldnt mean anything but the ratio between them or some other translation more universal.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by onlyinmydreams

The pulses are coming from a spot just to one side of the galactic centre. Each pulse lasts about 10 minutes, and they repeat regularly every 77 minutes. If, as the researchers think, the source is near the centre of the Milky Way, it would be one of the most powerful emitters in the galaxy. The shape and timing of the pulses rules out most known sources, such as radio pulsars."

I think that kind of rules out Black Holes being the cause doesn't it? Since they happen at set intervals?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by thelibra
This is just speculation, but you have to figure, the average gravity at the center of the galaxy has to have an ENORMOUS force exerted to keep the arms and such in check, and because of the shape of our galaxy, it would suggest a regular speed that does not vary (much). My guess is what we're hearing is the noise of all this concentrated matter and gravity rotating.

Also, if that's so, then how come we haven't picked up these radio waves before?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Weren't there only 5 pulses? Also if it were intelligent the actual numbers of 10 and 77 wouldnt mean anything but the ratio between them or some other translation more universal.

Good point here. The times we use would more than likely not be the same time used by other intelligent life. 10 minutes might be like 3 quelzekiels to them. Well, I made up that word, but you get my point?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I remember reading an article in a pretty reputable magazine a while back about some sort of rapidly expanding wall of electromagnetic energy that had eminated from Galatic Central Point and was rushing outward. I wish I could remember more about it as it sounded pretty catastrophic, but it has been a decade or more now since I read the piece and don't remember much more than that. Any of you guys remember anything similar?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
OK... We live in this massive spiral galexy called the Milky way. It turns about the galactic center which is as dence as all get out and must have major gravatational forces acting on everything. As it turns arround the core things closer in just have to be seriously effected by that intense gravity. Remember...radio is electromagnetic radation just as light is.

My guess... someone forgot to grease the hub and the bearing is "squirreling" or chattering. With all that gravity and chaotic subatomic quark, muon, neutrino filled mess in the center, I would be suprised if something odd wasn't happening.

Should we call a mechanic? Is there a quick stop like Valvoline or do we have to wait in line?

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Maybe its a distress call, from an intellegent life or distress call from something maybe a dying planet? i dont know

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Maybe its just another unidentified cosmic phenomena. Or maybe its the real deal? Only time will tell. Im hoping for the best but expecting the worst.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   

The shape and timing of the pulses rules out most known sources, such as radio pulsars."

Here's a what if. What if, this signal is being broadcast in a fan shape pointed at a specific place in space, and we're just entering the edge of that fan now and starting to pick up the signal? Let's say precession brings us to the point in space where we can receive the whole signal in about 7 years time and we find out it's a message from our creator(s)? We pass through the same spot every 5000 years or so and it's been broadcasting constantly, waiting for us to have the technology to hear it. Plausible?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
10/77 is an interesting ratio, in decimal form it is one of those repeating numbers: 0.129870129870129870........................, the 129870 keeps repeating itself. If is a 'sign' of some sort perhaps that is important.

im sorry everyone missed this one

Maybe sounds optimistic, but isnt this signal INTELLIGENT?

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yes, it does seem to be intelligent. The kicker for me is that it stopped? after 5 cycles??? How do they explain that?

77 is the only number pair that produces that type of repeating pattern also.

10/11 = 0.9090909
10/22 = 0.4545454
10/33 = 0.3030303
10/44 = 0.2272727
10/55 = 0.1818181
10/66 = 0.1515151
10/77 = 0.1298701
10/88 = 0.1136363
10/99 = 0.1010101

[edit on 3/12/2005 by mythatsabigprobe]

new topics

top topics