It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People should not count on Social Security

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: musicismagic

Dude owns a house, brand new pickup truck, no idea where. I will NOT take pictures as I would be committing employment suicide in my town, and even though I’ve probably paid more taxes than that guy in my lifetime, I can guarantee I wouldn’t get any help!

I think you misunderstand how SSDI works. The system pretty much as a matter of policy will deny you on your claim every time as well as deny your appeal. It takes a second appeal, and then only if you're represented by a lawyer (who will generally take 10% of your income) will it be approved.

That's the trick. The amount of disability you suffer, and any claims by your doctors are pretty much irrelevant. Medical opinions do not factor into disability claims. A lawyer to argue your case is what makes it happen.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
The Social Security Administration is not Authorized to Rescind a Number!

If you follow the advice of any of the various recession programs out there you will likely get a letter back from the Social Security Administration that states something like:

"We regret that we cannot return your application for a Social Security card to you. Because of the large volume of applications we receive, the original applications are not retained.

The Social Security Act requires the Social Security Administration to assign a Social Security number (SSN) to all qualified applicants who submit a completed Form SS-5, Application for Social Security Card. We are not authorized by law to rescind or cancel any number after it has been assigned."

The interesting thing about most federal law is that it does not apply to individual citizens but instead defines the operating rules for the various federal agencies. The Social Security Administration is one of those agencies. The majority of the laws and regulations written about the social security number dictate rules to the Social Security Administration about how they assign, use or react to the number issue. That is, things like the following:

• They assign a number when they receive an application …
• They verify that a number and name match their record …
• To receive Social Security benefits, the applicant must have a number issued …

The Social Security Administration, like all government agencies, is highly regulated; They are not permitted to do anything without Congressional authorization … that is what the laws and the regulations are written for. Within those laws and regulations, Congress never authorized the Social Security Administration to rescind or cancel a social security number.

Therefore the Social Security Administration cannot and will not rescind or cancel any social security number once it has been assigned to an applicant.

However, good luck and God's speed in your personal journey to be free.

You can thank your parents for signing you over to the state when you were born.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Not getting what you’re throwing down?

Why would anyone rescind a ssi #?

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aazadan

originally posted by: musicismagic
$763/mo..eligible in 2050. Literally beer money by that time.

$763/month in 2050 has the purchasing power of $195/month today.

I didn't math it when I posted the original "beer money" estimate but you're thinking on the same track that I was. Inflation will eat all this up and that much is obvious without even writing the first digit.

It's honestly sickening. One of the many forms of legalized theft that exist today.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: netwarrior

I didn't math it when I posted the original "beer money" estimate but you're thinking on the same track that I was. Inflation will eat all this up and that much is obvious without even writing the first digit.

It's honestly sickening. One of the many forms of legalized theft that exist today.

Inflation is the same reason that people who follow the standard recommended retirement profiles will not have enough money when they retire.

I did the math a couple weeks ago and don't feel revisiting it, but the gist was, if you started at 20k at 18, made 60k a year by age 30, and then saw an annual increase in income by 8% per year, and you put 20% of your income away every year into savings (note, this is a max contribution 401k, and then some after that), and you followed the recommended 4% drawdown at retirement, you would barely have more purchasing power in retirement than you did at 18 when starting out.

Compound interest is marketed as a way to make people wealthy, and social security is suggested as a bit extra on top of that. The hard truth of the matter though, is that the only way to have enough money for retirement is to make more money now. At even 1 standard deviation above the median income, and putting away twice what is suggested, you simply will not have enough.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is social security is taken away there will be mass rioting and death. No politician will be safe from desperate angry mobs.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   
But illegal aliens who will be supported for generations, come right on in!

-- DNC

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 10:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: JAGStorm

Is social security is taken away there will be mass rioting and death. No politician will be safe from desperate angry mobs.

It's not going to be taken away, but the payouts are not keeping up with inflation. On paper they are, but that's only because our official inflation rate doesn't match the true inflation rate due to how CPI, which inflation is based on, is calculated.

The original intent of Social Security was also that it would provide for more purchasing power over time. The problem is, we've exempted so much income in the US from going to Social Security that it's declining rather than increasing. The program works, math doesn't lie. However, when you're trying to provide everyone with income while also excluding the vast majority of income from paying into the program, it's not going to have the funds.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Social Security was set up for the sole purpose of being a "credit card" for Congress
They almost stated as much in the very beginning

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

Not just the number, but the entirety of participation.

You don't have a choice. Once your parents signed you over, it's a done deal.

Shouldn't you have the right to NOT participate if you so choose? You actually DO if you never apply for one!

You are NOT required to have one. Any discrimination you may face by not having one is prosecutable under federal law.

Maybe one doesn't want to pay into it, or expect a return and would rather handle their own affairs?

Why is ones hard work divided up for others to partake in??

I fail to see the freedom in serfdom.

Change my mind...

edit on E30America/ChicagoTue, 23 Apr 2019 00:42:22 -05004amTuesdayrd12am by EternalShadow because: ETA

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

saved my money had my own home wife took half of it child support did most of the rest had to start again in my late forties retired with enough to purchase another home now on a pension and glad of it

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 02:59 AM
link   

That will get you 3 cases of 24 large bottles of Kirin Dry Beer then.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 03:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: KTemplar
a reply to: EternalShadow

Not getting what you’re throwing down?

Why would anyone rescind a ssi #?

Because they might have recovered economically and want to upgrade to a normal life in legal terms with SSI.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I’ll probably just work until I die like most of the generations before us. At least I am not breaking my back in a field living hand to mouth. Well, until the new green deal takes away tractors, farm machinery, dust regulation becomes to restrictive. Wonder when the green new deal will abolish items like air conditioning, and other modern comforts.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Maybe one doesn't want to pay into it, or expect a return and would rather handle their own affairs?

Because when you screw up and are completely destitute (not that Social Security helps you completely avoid that), you're going to ask society to support you anyways. At least this way, it's through a fund you actually pay into.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
a reply to: KTemplar

Not just the number, but the entirety of participation.

You don't have a choice. Once your parents signed you over, it's a done deal.

Shouldn't you have the right to NOT participate if you so choose? You actually DO if you never apply for one!

You are NOT required to have one. Any discrimination you may face by not having one is prosecutable under federal law.

Why is ones hard work divided up for others to partake in??

I fail to see the freedom in serfdom.

Change my mind...

Thank you for the clarification.

I don’t mind paying taxes. I’m different than most I suppose. I am glad to have the opportunity to.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Not only am I not counting on social security. I'm betting all our 401k's will be raided at some point in the next 20-30 years before I retire.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
Not only am I not counting on social security. I'm betting all our 401k's will be raided at some point in the next 20-30 years before I retire.

That's what I was saying. They'll pass a law allowing them to "borrow" your 401k or IRA money, and replace it with a treasury note, pushing off the question of how to repay the money onto a future generation of lawmakers.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

That's what I was saying. They'll pass a law allowing them to "borrow" your 401k or IRA money, and replace it with a treasury note, pushing off the question of how to repay the money onto a future generation of lawmakers.

I have a sick, deep gut feeling about this too.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan

I have a sick, deep gut feeling about this too.

They will probably tax balances over a certain amount. A big thing that has concerned me in general as that since our banking system is really completely computerized now, we are all at the mercy of govt... bank accounts, investments, etc are all just 0s and 1s on a computer screen now.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join