It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jeff Waynes' War Of The Worlds.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:25 PM
link   
This back in the day was a real cool double vinyl album. Just wonder how many other ATS folk remember this? It was a cool album back in the day and at the time was kinda heavy stuff.

And there was also a roadshow of sorts that I recently discovered. I would love to see this show live!

So let's discuss, would this not be a cool show?

There was also this video game on the PS one.

ETA: Never realized Phil Lynot appeared on this.

Performers Album Richard Burton – spoken words (The Journalist: the narrator-protagonist) Justin Hayward – vocals (The Sung Thoughts of the Journalist) David Essex – spoken words and vocals (The Artilleryman) Chris Thompson – vocals (The Voice of Humanity) Phil Lynott – spoken words and vocals (Parson Nathaniel) Julie Covington – spoken words and vocals (Beth) Jerry Wayne – spoken words (The Voice of NASA)

edit on 4 21 2019 by Shockerking because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Sir Richard Burton Narrated, it was epic when it came out, I had the original album while in the military.

I read war of the worlds in highschool, it kinda brought it to life.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati
About the same for me in America, 1979 for me.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:23 PM
link   
this and breakfast in america by supertramp, the only 2 albums I owned.

I was a bookworm back then...

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
this and breakfast in america by supertramp, the only 2 albums I owned.

I was a bookworm back then...
I was a artist, phone phreaker, worm picking, pool player, boxer, street fighting young man, drive in's, keggers and misc women. Good ole times.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shockerking

Very cool !

Rick Wakeman's "Journey to the centre of the Earth "

should be on your to do list !!

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I was in the Marines, I had lots of free time in the field, so i read books and tanned. The recruiter promised me I could get a gal in a mini skirt if I sign up. (thats her in the orange mini and it still fits)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 01:36 AM
link   

I remember my Parents playing this one dark evening.
Still gives me goosbumps, espescially the Epilogue and the Martian cries.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I still listen to it now.
There was an updated version a few years back, but I prefer the one I grew up with

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:12 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

Only a few of us in work today, might have to cue it up on the Office Sonos system thinking about it

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 02:58 AM
link   
The eternal masterpiece! Back in time when I was a kid; use to listen to copy of the original radio show “by late Orson Welles which caused a huge panic”.

Until back in 78 when Mr. J.Wayne released his masterpiece, two sets of LP’s, several copy in cassettes, then master digital forms of cd's, mp3's as they already exist in my personal library and of course collector editions of DVD box set release of.

To me, they are holier than the bible..

S&F for nice reminder and OP.

edit on 22 4 2019 by Qboneq because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:00 AM
link   
My mother had the LP back in the day, And I've now god the 2-disk CD set (the one with the artbook in the cardboard flip-open cover), as well as the 2012 "The New Generation" With Liam Neeson replacing Richard Burton. Also have the P.C. Game where you can conquer the British Isles or defend them from the martian scum.

I still listen to it quite often while I'm working late into the night... Occasionally I look out the window and try to imagine a massive cylinder blistering past in a green haze and landing in the field outside...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: thedigirati
I was in the Marines, I had lots of free time in the field, so i read books and tanned. The recruiter promised me I could get a gal in a mini skirt if I sign up. (thats her in the orange mini and it still fits)

That's a fine mini mate.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   

I remember it very well. My mother bought me this album on cassette tape. I still have it. Great music to listen to for me but boring to my kids nowadays.

My regards,

bally

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

The recruiter promised me I could get a gal in a mini skirt if I sign up. (thats her in the orange mini and it still fits)

Thanks for letting us all know that your Gals mini skirt still fits you?!

War of the Worlds is an epic Album, I still have it some where. They've released a newer version on CD in the last few years and also the show on DVD.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Great album , I still have my vinyl gatefold double album with artbook , Luckily I no longer need to play it thanks to youtube so it's still in mint condition.

Phil Lynott's performance is probably the best of the album , sang with feeling.

Pure brilliance.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

The female vocalist also sang the original don't cry for me Argentina.

Love Waynes war of the world's there is really nothing like it but there are some artists whom created there own album story work's such as Roger Waters with his pro's and con's of Hitchhiking and Radio Kaos album's.

As for Jeff Waynes war of the world's I prefer this site's version it has less reverb than the youtube version.
www.mixcloud.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Not exactly war of the world's but definitely inspired by it was a 1980's british science fiction series called The Tripod's.
Image quality may leave a little to be desired but here is an archive of the full TV series.
archive.org...
That old series had a typical 1980's synthesizer theme tune as well so while not something to write home about it is an interesting journey down memory lane for those that watched the series - it has dated rather badly though.

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Being a Prog Head, I recall it for the tune

top topics

<<   2 >>

join