It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kind of Embarrassed to Tell This!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I'm kind of embarrassed to tell this story...

I don't know what I was thinking. I must have bumped my head. I got duped. I fell for it...well, almost. Had the circumstances been different I'm fairly certain I absolutely would have fallen for it, but geography intervened and saved my bacon. Bacon??? Did someone say...BACON??

Well, sadly this story isn't about bacon. I guess bacon could play into this somehow, but I digress.

Several times over the past few years while watching TV with the wife (note - I don't watch much TV, but I do like to spend time with the ol' gal...so TV it is) I have seen this commercial. I've commented on several occasions that I'd like to try this place sometime because I've never been there. (notice how I conveniently left out the name of the place I want to try?? It's out of embarrassment.)

So yesterday, we were at this really nice grocery store we frequent picking up some Wagyu beef for dinner last night. At the time, we commented about whether we should pick up something for tonight also. Right about then the wife unit says..."You know...there's that place you've said you wanted to try. Maybe it won't be too crowded on Easter Sunday, so maybe we go tomorrow" Now, I need to add here that she's never been to this place either, and I don't think she bumped her head, but maybe she was just going along with one of my goofy ideas.

I can't even believe I'm about to type this (I'm actually snickering at myself here). So anyway, this morning I decided to go see what this place was really all about. We'd heard about it, but I didn't know how it worked or even what they served really. So I decided to go check out reviews of this restaurant...this restaurant called...uhhh...**choke**Golden Corral**choke**.

I spent the better part of an hour laughing my guts out at all the reviews of this place! I mean, it's absolutely hilarious. Just Yelp alone had me laughing so hard I thought my spleen was gonna' shoot out my ear. I am SOOOOOoooo glad I looked into this place before going. Now, I'm sure GC is okay for some people, but it was completely not what I expected. I wasn't expecting 5 star ratings or anything, but I certainly wasn't expecting what I saw! I wasn't expecting things like...'packed in like sardines'...'screaming kids tasting food and putting it back'...'whole place smells like B.O. and vagrants'...'homeless pachyderms'...'food poisoning'...'45 minute wait'...'people cutting the lines'...'never even saw our server again'...'plates everywhere'...'filthy, not clean'...'food all over the floor', etc. And people posted pictures too. OMG!!! Pictures of mold, pictures of stacks of plates, pictures of food everywhere but on plates. Anyway, you get the idea.

If I would have shown up at this place and seen even 1/1000th of what people posted I would have flipped out. And to think I was actually contemplating taking my beautiful bride there...on Easter Sunday no less!!

I'd watched their ads, and I got sucked in. I thought it looked like a fun place to try. I fear I was sorely mistaken. My only redemption is, I did at least take a look at some reviews before hopping in the car. I'm an idiot!

What is my penance, Father?

That is all.
edit on 4/21/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
What is my penance, Father?

Thou shall prepareth homecooked meals seven days straight until thine mind is no longer blotted by Satan's handiwork.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Wikipedia says:

In 2003, an outbreak of salmonella was linked to a Golden Corral restaurant in Kennesaw, Georgia. Twenty-three people were affected by the outbreak. The salmonella bacteria was found in a floor drain, leading health inspectors to believe that it had been washed off of equipment earlier. No original source was found.[9] A similar outbreak occurred in Wyoming and Orlando, Florida, in late 2012.

In 2012, an outbreak of norovirus was linked to a Golden Corral restaurant in Casper, Wyoming. Over 344 illnesses, with 282 primary cases, were reported by the Wyoming state epidemiologist. The virus got a push from 31 sickened food handlers at the restaurant who mostly kept working their normal shifts.

Wiki link

Euw...

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The wife and I went to IHOP because of the ads for the most part. We were out in Arizona. Don't have any around here. They brought our plates and I was like ....where is the food? And they could have cooked what little they brought,t it was kind of raw. The wife and I looked at each other and said..........not a do-over. I like the little mom and pop restaurants for the most part.
And now because of your thread, I will not eat at Golden Corral. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: LightSpeedDriver

I almost wanna' cry now!

I'm such an idiot!

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   
If McDonalds was a buffet at $12 a plate...

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

How dare you sir!

As a southern man I am offended.

lol you know what I always thought the few times I ate there. The buffet line looks like a feed trough.
Long lines of overweight people leaning over scooping up food.

The boiled cabbage was good though.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I pretty much loathe GC. When I first got divorced it was basically the only place that my little girls could find something to eat on those weeknight dinners. But we could sit and talk and was close by, lol the rolls were okay. Dont think they go there any more either.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:15 AM
link   
There used to be this place in Taylor, MI called Old Country Buffet (I think that's what it was called). It was near the airport so we used to eat there now and again. We called it "Fat City". The food was decent, and it was clean. I would have never considered bringing a date there, but it was passable for lunch. And the softserve ice cream rocked!

Somehow I had it in my head GC was several notches above this, but the exact opposite appears to be the case. Production line, sub-cafeteria, grade food and a mad-house environment in awful conditions.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Pretty hard to screw up boiled cabbage!

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

That is probably the one positive thing I've read. Everyone seems to like their rolls...if you can get any.

Some people just order take out and get only rolls.

Way too far to drive for rolls, and I just make my own anyway. In fact, it was the distance which caused me to look more carefully into GC. Had it been closer I probably wouldn't have. Wife and I always used to comment we never saw one anywhere, so I went looking for one. One thing led to another and I'm reading reviews.

WHEW!!

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   

That’s easy to screw up, don’t add butter or a little fatback ham.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

No man the best rolls come from the cracker barrel.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:25 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

That is probably the one positive thing I've read. Everyone seems to like their rolls...if you can get any.

Way too far to drive for rolls, and I just make my own anyway. In fact, it was the distance which caused me to look more carefully into GC. Had it been closer I probably wouldn't have. Wife and I always used to comment we never saw one anywhere, so I went looking for one. One thing led to another and I'm reading reviews.

WHEW!!

Yea we called the food trough even back then, lol almost forgot how many of those GC dinners I had with my girls. Not joking every Wednesday likely for the first year and a half to two years we went there. Damn think I blocked some of that out, but we survived LOL atleast we didnt get any diseases

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:27 AM
link   

WHEW!!

Yea we called the food trough even back then, lol almost forgot how many of those GC dinners I had with my girls. Not joking every Wednesday likely for the first year and a half to two years we went there. Damn think I blocked some of that out, but we survived LOL atleast we didnt get any diseases

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:28 AM
link   

www.jokeblogger.com...

84 golden corral jokes. There trading cards!

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I agree with you on the out of the way mom and pop diners. There's a little one here that has great breakfasts. And really good pancakes too. The big chains tend to get hammered at dinner rushes and the cleanliness tends to fall off. Worked at a chain pizza place once and thought the cleanliness was a bit eh.. A wall with the grease layered on so hard it took a scraper to get it off. Etc.

GC and other buffets tend to get hammered and the times I have eaten there they do tend to get behind on cleaning up the tables and buffet bars. Though the local ones do seem to try though. It may be the location and the quality of the local help though. In the Midwest they seem to try harder.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   

I have only eaten at Golden Corral a couple of times in my life.
The food was okay and this restaurant did look clean enough.
I judge a place I'm eating at by how clean their bathrooms are.
Stopped going to one restaurant after my husband saw one of
the cooks not washing his hands in the bathroom.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Buffet places are the worst, usually.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join