It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else thinks Star Wars is dead?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Gravelbone

Do NOT diss Ice Pirates! That was the best B movie ever!

Nothing beats good old buckaroo for ridiculousness when it comes to a good b movie.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Dead? No
Life support? Yes

The next movie is the last chance for the franchise to redeem itself.
Mary Sue and darth emo better knock it out of the park.

I honestly never thought they could create a worse character than jar jar binks and they took it as a challenge and made two.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Dead? No
Life support? Yes

The next movie is the last chance for the franchise to redeem itself.
Mary Sue and darth emo better knock it out of the park.

I honestly never thought they could create a worse character than jar jar binks and they took it as a challenge and made two.

Ahh the good ol days, when george was the pile of crap with his(things we would have done if we had the tech) enhancements.

He must be thrilled that these new piles of garbage hide his past stupidity.

Han show first.......Georgie boy.
edit on 20-4-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

originally posted by: MisterSpock
It was always the bargain bin scifi show compared to Star Trek.

Is it dead? I don't know.....Was it ever alive?

Sorry, I'm contractually obligated to deride that franchise, plus Shatner made me pinky swear.

I rather watch the new Star Trek movies. They are so much better and more original. Also hope they continue Blade Runner third installment.

Shockingly enough, I've actually just recently seen the latest blade runner(tonight actually, sad...I know). It was fantastic, given the latest landscape of films.

Really carried on the feel of the original, which was brilliant. I'm going to set aside a night in the next few days to pound down some good crafts and rewatch the original(HUGE Ford fan) and the latest one. I agree completely that if they can continue to find the right people(writers, directors and good actors like ryan) to push this theme forward it would be great.

PK Dick is #ing great.
edit on 20-4-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 12:06 AM
link   
There has not been a good star wars movie since return of the Jedi.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yes, it died a long, long time ago in a galaxy far far away and no amount of light speed travel will ever bring it back after what they have done to it. I feel REALLY bad for any young kids who see the any but the original 3 as their introduction to Star Wars and feel especially bad to those subjected to the latest 3 as their introduction.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 03:45 AM
link   
I liked rouge star one.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Even dead things generate money for Disney

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

I would agree and say Star Wars is dying, it's frustrating that Disney had a whole wealth of books, video games, and animated series in the Star War Universe to draw off of and came out with that horrible Last Jedi movie. The Knights of the Old Republic had a better story line, less plot holes, and made more sense.....and it was a fricking video game lol

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Star Wars is not dead, its very much your opinion, you might not have liked TLJ but a lot of fans did and it was the highest grossing movie of 2017, Solo was a victim of bad marketing.

If you think Star Wars is dead just look at Celebration this year, already the trailer is at 26M views, Solo remains at about 18M and came out over a year ago.

Carrie Fisher is gone, so obviously letting here character live kind of screwed things up especially giving her force knowledge.

No its not, so for TLJ she had already shot all her scenes and the production team felt it would have been wrong to have wrote her out of that movie and rob her of her last performance. When it comes to RoTS JJ has said that they have loads of unused footage of her that they have been able to work into the movie, so in December it will be Carrie we are seeing on screen.

For anyone liking the Force Awakens. That movie is dumb too.

Thats your opinion man have it.

Honestly there I has never been a better time to be a Star Wars Fan, we are getting Fallen order that looks promising, we are getting the Mandalorian and if you saw the panel that also looks like its going to be the best thing in Star Wars since the Disney take over. We are even getting season 7 of the clone wars and an entire theme park with Galaxy's edge opening pretty soon and I think there is even more to announce particularly when it comes to the EU stuff. I want to know what Project Luminous is now!

All of that right there I think demonstrates that despite you not liking it, which is fine, like I say your opinion but with the volume of high quality stuff in the pipeline just now I think its fair to say Star Wars is far from dead.

Thats not even getting into what ever magic Benioff and Wiess the game of thrones guys have got in mind for their trilogy. There is so much happening right now its insane. I don't get how anyone could say with all of this happening that the franchise is dead
edit on 21-4-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I want to see the Jedi unearth a Stargate... it activates, and SG-1 steps through.

Stargate SG-1 was infinitely better than Star Wars, especially the new Disney crap. Good storytelling will always win over flashy graphics and special effects. Anubis is one of the most badass scifi villains ever.

If you've never seen Stargate SG-1, explaining Anubis might be kindof confusing, so I'll put it into more understandable terms:

So Anubis is this alien who is totally evil and hell-bent on ruling the universe. He's also so intelligent that he manages to trick a spirit being into helping him enter the spirit world (for his own knowledge and power), where you could only otherwise enter by being very spiritually advanced. The other spirit beings punish this first one by sending Anubis back to physical reality - except as a being of energy that is literally impossible to kill - to force her to witness the evil she caused by bringing him into their realm.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Star Wars is dead.

Disney wars is alive and squeezing every nickel it can out of its corpse with crap plots.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 07:31 AM
link   
If it is dead, at least I have The Expanse to love.

Drummer is bae, don't @ me bro.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Disney had destroyed the franchise, at least the live action franchise.

They have announced there next movie is the end of the saga so that is an official kill off.

They ruined the star wars universe, used a director whom would have been better making Blair witch type video's but definitely did not have the same level of cinematographic expertise as the previous star wars directors had.

They produced vacuous and empty characters with a very poor plot realization though the basic story was middling.

They tried to one up the death star but there star killer base was utterly crap and yes it made no sense - they can send ship's through hyper space but surely the planet's would have detected something like that and of course they killed off the star wars old republic and extended universe timeline's cherry picking some part's to make there ropy politically correct script work or else many planet's have what are called planetary deflector shield's, useless against the death star but a hyperspace plasma projectile they could have probably deflected at least partially so SK base makes no sense at all and is a dumbing down to star wars.

The Idea of a resistance after the empire has fallen is basically idiotic as well since the resistance would have either disbanded or joined the new republic fleet as it's core though it is possible that many world's would have peacefully seceded from the re-established republic after the manipulation and betrayal that Palpatine had worked over them so there would have been far more and more powerful faction's but alliances against a resurgent first order would have been plentiful.

Cannon star wars, non Disney after the fall of the empire many imperial governors, admiral's and Lord's were left in positions of power with sizable imperial fleet's of there own, many of them had become petty dictator's and even warlord's bent upon carving out there own piece of the Galaxy, the first order would simply have been one of these fragmented remnant's - the imperial remnant as it was known and they would likely not have had the resources to build something like star killer base even had Palpatine lain the ground work for it which despite Disney's idiotic plot he had not since of course he was convinced of his victory at the battle of the second death star over Endor and indeed had foreseen it all except his own death though the idea that Palpatine may not be dead is actually a cannon star wars idea and usually revolves around clones of the emperor though after the battle and shattering of the main imperial fleet his clone is left battling to try to recreate his empire from within faction's of the imperial remnant.

In short the Disney movies portray a smaller universe than the Lucas movies did, the tapestry they paint of the star wars universe is far too small and far too limited, the characters are weak, the main plot line is both a traditional star wars lore breaker and also very poorly conceived and written.

NOTE I do not hold the actor's responsible they did there part fine it was the scripting and role they were given.

Disney can not do a fight scene if they tried and there fight scene's were to be frank pathetic.
Here is how it should have been done and was done by a fan film called Darth Maul Apprentice which while short and lacking a decent star wars setting such as an alien planet or alien city is actually everything Disney failed to be - it is star wars to it's core (despite the poor attempt at Darth Sidious - still not bad just too different to the actor whom played that part in the official film's).

Star Wars was a film that left kid's with there eye's popping out and created a new hero and role model for them.
Disney's take on it come's no were near to that level of quality and inventiveness though there supposed failed movie Solo was in fact the best of there star wars movies to date despite poor reception (and the fledgling resistance being a group of kid's acting more like bandit's but then dissent has to start somewhere) and it was indeed a mistake to take a character part of whose charm is the mystery of his background and to then try to fill in the blank's but for what it is they at least did a good job there though they have failed utterly elsewhere to capture the star wars spirit and atmosphere in there movies.

We winged about the prequel's when they came out but that was because of youngling's, kid's racing pod's and midichlorian's but if George Lucas had not been intent on making the movie not scary and dumbing down his sith in sheep's clothing (Jar Jar binks was supposed to be a Sith lord masquerading as a fool even according to the actor whom played him AND leia was supposed to make an attempt upon Annakin's life with a dagger behind her back but be unable to kill him because she loved him among many of the more adult natured scenes that were cut on the ground).

But in the case of Disney's sequel's they are truly dismal, at least Lucas prequel's gave us new world's, new races and despite that change from Alec Guiness force the power that bind's all living creatures to midichlorian's suddenly becoming some kind of quantum bacteria they prequel's were arguably at least lore friendly to the original trilogy.

There is still hope, someone someday may make an old republic movie and a Galaxy especially one far, far away and long, long ago is a very ripe source for other story's, plot lines and characters - but Disney so far have acted as if they were assassinating the franchise and have alienated or at least severely disappointed a hell of a lot of star wars fan's.

The word is Squander.

edit on 21-4-2019 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

They have announced there next movie is the end of the saga so that is an official kill off.

But we also know that the Game of Thrones creators are working on a a entire new trilogy, we are getting the Mandalorian, Clone wars, the list goes on.

The Idea of a resistance after the empire has fallen is basically idiotic

Read bloodlines....

Cannon star wars, non Disney after the fall of the empire many imperial governors, admiral's and Lord's were left in positions of power with sizable imperial fleet's of there own,

Read the Aftermath trilogy.....

Disney can not do a fight scene if they tried and there fight scene's were to be frank pathetic.

Throne room....Battle of Scarif....Vader at the end of Rogue one....emmmm

I would go on but honestly there I quite a lot to pick apart.

You don't like them that's fine but am sure you will find something to like in the newer stuff eventually what do you think of the Mandalorian for example?

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Scorpius from FarScape beats Anubis for awesome sci-fi villain. Anubis was good, but Scorpius was better. Anytime a villain can overpower you physically, but prefers to simply out think you because he's just that good and that devious and he does it with flair and personality, you know he's an awesome villain, especially because you can't dislike him so you love to hate him.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Hey, starship fuel has suddenly become a thing everyone cares about.

And now tiny ships can suddenly destroy gigantic ones by lightspeeding into them which suddenly makes the climactic battle of the Episodes !V and Episodes VI moot. Why search for a tiny exhaust port in the Death Star when all you have to do is get on pilot to go on a kamikaze lightspeed run into the heart of the Death Star? You do the same in Return of the Jedi.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Its pretty much dead to me.

The Last Jedi happened and nothing can change that. I'm certainly not a huge Star Wars fan (more sci-fi in general), but I thought that movie might be about the worst I've seen. It was impressively bad, and not in the "so bad its good" realm.

Its not just Disney either, but given their size, they certainly have a lot of presence. So many great (or at least entertaining) shows have been razed to ashes recently...

Always thought 40k was a better universe anyway

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Yes. I fell asleep about half way through the first one in the new series when I realized it was pretty much a remake of a new hope and haven't bothered watching any of them since. I always liked the stories in the Knights of the old Republic games and most of the computer games actually better than any of the movies really.

Then again, i'm not really the target market for star wars any more so ya know it could just be that.

Honestly though, i've seen the original trilogy more times than I can count, a few different editions of them, watched the prequels a few times, played a bunch of the games over the years, i'm just star wars'd out. I'm over it. Even if the new series wasn't the pile of # it's become, I still don't think I could do it. I just don't care any more. It's all the same #.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Throne room....Battle of Scarif

Was a disaster.

The last movie was pathetic. In the original Star Wars the command of the Empire, Republic, and Rebels was competent. The last movie was a contest of who can be more of an idiot.
edit on 21-4-2019 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join