It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captain marvel... yes a movie charecter

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 07:32 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

No, Gamora is darn well not weak, but she is also capable of being vulnerable and making mistakes.

The new feminist hero has zero weaknesses which is why she often turns out to be a Mary Sue like Rey and Captain Marvel.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I'm never interested in a character that is magically strong without the plot elements to back it up. Captain marvel in the movies is the strongest avenger. So basically superman without kryptonite.
Rey is strong for really no reason which I begging we discover in the next movie. Probably just bad writing.

Nerdy stuff for sure but making a female Uber strong isn't empowering women it's lazy writing and pandering.

Wonder woman en is a great example of how to make a female hero. She's so freaking badass when she shows up in batman VS superman
edit on 20-4-2019 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Artemis12
a reply to: Lumenari

Ahh Aquaman, I'm totally binging him this weekend!

Ummm...cool...so chicks really do dig the Neanderthal brows...

I’m gonna git me some now...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Very right. I have never even heard of Captain Marvel until both Movies released trailers. Shazam used to be called Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel had turning into a female I was like what? The curse of Disney goes on.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: JDmOKI

I never really got into Superman either. He's just too powerful even with kryptonite. Things that would present a challenge to him generally tend to obliterate most everyone around him ... unless someone has him tagged with kryptonite.

It takes really good writing to take a character that powerful and make their own character their basic "weakness." In superman's case, he's a boy scout, but at the same time, that can also make him super boring. People who are too good can be very, very boring in the wrong hands.
edit on 20-4-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 04:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Irishhaf

Sarah connor, Ripley, Leia, were all sexualized in some way shape or form or were put under the boot of male figures.

What the hell are you talking about?
Did you even watch Aliens or Terminator?

At the end of both movies it was a strong female that survived and killed the villan who were a cyborg and an alien. How that translates to "male boot" is beyond me. But I'll give you Leah.

She lost her humanity along the way. She's just a fighting world saving machine, that's all. She's on the same level as Thor and hulk, an almost god.

She is NOT on the same level. She got her powers by accident. Caught in an explosion started by herself and her ignorance of the situation.
My take on the movie was "penis (especially white) bad" "vagina (especially progressive) good".
Character development via amnesia? Ohh that hasn't been done a few million times now. The whole movie was lazy and tried to capitalize on the 3rd wave feminist BS championed by Brie herself.
And there is this.

Clearly there is tension there.
Anyone who hasn't seen this wreck should just go watch Wonder Woman instead.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

Yeah, I love how she gets all prickly when she gets compared to Tom Cruise who also does all his stunts and sort of pioneered that.

Depending on how you want to take that remark from Hemsworth, that could be a compliment. Tom Cruise is one of the few real action stars left in Hollywood from the golden '80 action set. She could have considered that high praise. Instead she got all uppity over being compared to an old white male.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I read a lot of books, as I have come to learn..

I've found that Mary Sue's work best as satire.. but.. they can marginally squeek by if little to no attention is given to the fact AND its propped up by some other aspects of the story.

This new trend of hyper-marketing Mary Sues intentionally (!!), as well as calling them "role models" is mildly horrific to my sensibilities.

I guess that, even in understanding identity politics, I still don't understand why people so readily and vociferously celebrate mediocrity.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

My understanding is that feminists are trying like mad to create a new sort of genre and new sort of hero for themselves, but so far, all they've really done is create bad versions of the traditional hero's journey with a Mary Sue as the titular hero.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: JAY1980

Yeah, I love how she gets all prickly when she gets compared to Tom Cruise who also does all his stunts and sort of pioneered that.

Depending on how you want to take that remark from Hemsworth, that could be a compliment. Tom Cruise is one of the few real action stars left in Hollywood from the golden '80 action set. She could have considered that high praise. Instead she got all uppity over being compared to an old white male.

Odd that she claims she does all her own stunts yet had a stunt double for both Captain Marvel and Avengers End Game eh ?
. Maybe they should have sent her stunt double for the interview interview instead, odds are she would have been more personable. Check the Link......."Joanna Bennett was a stunt double for Emily VanCamp in Captain America: Civil War, Brie Larson in Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame,"

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join