It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We spend way too much money on the military

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: superman2012

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: dfnj2015
When I was young I heard the phase "guns or butter" when it came to government spending. Now that our country is or will always be at war it is really too bad. Can you imagine what would be discovered if we cut our military spending in half and devote that money to education and research:

Scientists print first 3D heart using patient's biological materials

It just really stinks this country is no longer the leader in so many areas of research.

Can you imagine if the adversarial countries around the world, not to mention the ISIS sympathizers would do if we disarmed like that for those reasons? It just stinks that people are so short-sighted and myopic...and live in their mind of Utopia (which is the only place it is located).

Can you imagine no adversarial countries? Not to mention the US funded ISIS has sympathizers that go along with the US funded Al-Queda? It just stinks that people are so short-sighted and myopic...and live in their mind of fear and conquest.

Yes I can imagine that. But, see, I live in reality. When has there EVER been that state of utopia in the history of Homo Sapien Sapien? Hmmmm? Never.

But, nice try being naive in the realities of this world.

No, you are right. We do need the largest police force in the world cramming freedom down other country's and culture's throats because they aren't the same as us.
The op was a what if game and you failed spectacularly at playing along. That's all I was pointing out.

To the op: Even if the US cut it in half, they would still be the leaders in military budget worldwide. I think this is possible to do but the government has a command and conquer mentality. What is needed is a focus on making America a leader in education and scientific progress again. I believe that can be achieved if the right leader is elected.

Hell, I can imagine a lot of things, like riding a unicorn that farts rainbows and vomits skittles. But that doesn't change the reality we live within now does it? Imagination is a great thing, but should not be confused with the realities of the world.

Would I like to not have to have my hard earned tax $$$ spent to create weapons of war and kill others? Sure, of course. But, wouldn't it be better to imagine a world where those weapons are not even needed because people actually respect each other and cannot even think of killing another. Where differences of opinion are OK, and not used as a spear to pierce the hearts of humanity? Yes, that would be nice, and utopian. But, it is not real, and due to the human condition and limited resources of this planet, it will never be that way. The longer lifespans we have today, means more and more people live on this planet, and need more and more of her limited resources. People will fight over those resources...that is reality.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

Yes, I understand and agree to all that. None of which has to do with the op...

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Then you didn't read the OP very well.

posted on Apr, 21 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Since the military is 75% more or less "black budgets" that we'll never know the amount...how do you?

Maybe it's black because we've not spent any amount? Perhaps we've incorporated alien tech....and that "military budget" is really deferred elsewhere? Or is completely ZERO...

With no clue as to an amount...some "unknown" budget....you can't build on nothing $$$ if the amount publicized is for just maintaining the military day to day...and claimed not to be divulged to anyone...not even Congress.....then deferment is hardly realistic. That's why military spending even has "black budgets".

IMO

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I read it, I just also had reading comprehension to go along with it.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Obviously not, since you did not understand it at all.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Star for you sport!

Backpeddle all you want, you did not address the what if scenario, you merely poo poo'd it. It's cool, there always needs to be "that guy" in a thread!

Take care of yourself!

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Star for you sport!

Backpeddle all you want, you did not address the what if scenario, you merely poo poo'd it. It's cool, there always needs to be "that guy" in a thread!

Take care of yourself!

How can I be "that guy" when you have it covered already?

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The Military Industrial Complex has embedded itself into our govt and has manipulated it to a science. We buy billion dollar planes station our forces in over 150 countries and expanding. We allow the MID to sell weapon systems that were developed for us to dubious countries that leak our secrets which the MID uses as an excuse for more expensive and intricate systems to have our govt fund even more development.

How many conflicts have been over oil? How much has the American taxpayer had to pay for those conflicts? If our govt had invested in renewable energies making us independent of foreign oil those conflicts may never have happened. Most of those countries wouldn't have had the funds to buy weapon systems that could have been a threat to us.

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 07:59 PM
link   

What about the $21trillion DOD overspend for 1998-2015 the Pentagon cannot account for?

Here is a link to the 2016 report (pdf, sorry) 'Army General Fund Adjustments Not Adequately Documented or Supported' media.defense.gov...

It's a 78 page report. Here is an article. www.strategic-culture.org... that sums it up nicely.

The $6+trillion unaccounted for in 2015 was 54 times the budget authorised by Congress.

What if every government department could just print money like that?

posted on Apr, 22 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

I often wonder how things would be different if USA cut off foreign aid and financial assistance to non-Americans.

But...

Guess we'll never know either way.

It is not financial aid issue. It is US military base issue. US military bases are not your financial aid. The Aid comes from another source like UN. So basically when US military destabilize a country, they will have to bring aid to the poor. This wouldn't happen if US troops stayed out of the area. Countries are then forced to pay to keep US military base in return taking tax payers from the other countries which could have been used to help feed the population instead. This is not only about US tax payer issue.
edit on 22-4-2019 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Star for you sport!

Take care of yourself!

How can I be "that guy" when you have it covered already?

Star for you! Take care.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join