It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Workplace pension automatic re-enrolment.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So I opted out of my workplace pension many years ago, and this month I have been re-enrolled.
A quick google told me this is because it has been more than 3 years since I opted out, and my circumstances might have changed.

Isn't that nice of the government. They have decided that even though I made a decision to opt out, I might have had a change of heart and also lost the ability to think and decide for myself.

I actually couldn't stop laughing when I read their justification.

Muggy little gits.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: OwenTrousers

Which government?

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Hope you have an alternative retirement plan that negates all of those taxes you could have been saving and will help you to some extent in your retirement years.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Most times if you work for government you have no choice. You get "enrolled" whether you like it or not.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

When I am old enough to claim a pension the age will be a lot higher than it is now. They just want our money, and hope we die before we can claim our pension.
If you are a pensioner today, and you have an occupational pension and savings, you will more than likely be denied benefits. But if you have not, then you can get Pension Credit, which tops up your money in line with what others receive and also means you pay zero council tax.
So those people did not save, nor opt in for the work pension, and are in a better position than most elderly people.
Also, unless you are lucky enough to die at home, when you get ill your savings will last about a few months paying for your care, then your house goes, then the Govment pay. If you have none of the above, then the Govment pay. See my point ?

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Sounds like you might be in the UK? I’m grateful for my state pension (Texas). I’m a professor at a state university. It’s a great system for me, I have no kids and don’t really have to worry about saving (much) since it’s a lifetime thing. In fact, it’s one of the main reasons I went to grad school and pursued the career. Lord knows the pay during the working years isn’t the best.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: OwenTrousers

See my point ?

Yes. You like to gamble.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Well...I took it....left w $30k....since '98....I have now $200K.....and I havent taken any of it yet. You?

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Rather than a fruitless penis swinging debate about "my choice is better than yours" the whole point of my post was that my choice has been taken away from me. Why did I need to be re-enrolled when I had already made my choice ?

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 03:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Uk

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
I worry that with all the contributions I make I'll never get to the age where I can draw my pension. In the UK is seems to be rising every decade or so

D

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 04:18 AM
link   

You're right. My apologies.

top topics

join