It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Telemarketers On My Cell Phone

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Yeah I hate it. Yeah I hang up on them. Today’s call was from Los Angeles, CA, and was a prerecorded message in Mandarin Chinese. Not much of a rant other than I have no idea what it was about because about all I know in Mandarin is hello, no, how are you and thank you.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I’m getting them 3-4 times a day. I’m fed up as well.

Just like you, many are out of LA. Same goddamn number from LA at 8:05 EVERY morning.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

If you hate telemarketing calls, you should enjoy this one...

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Mine are like 2 seconds long. What's up with that?

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I've been getting local number spam calls as well.

To make matters worse I have a strong assumption they're ghosting their number with random local numbers.... The reason I lean towards this theory is about twice a week I've been getting calls on my cell saying "you called?" nope.

Look through my recent and nothing.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I must have at least 100 numbers blocked on my cell, with another 50 that are blocked based on their area code. It's becoming a royal PIA. I only allow calls that are from my area code, but the majority of them are now from unknown callers/scammers. I'm sure there must be an app that would help, but usually those you need to pay for. The federal government's National Do Not Call Registry hasn't done squat for me!
edit on 4/19/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I used to have a major problem with telemarketers.
I change my phone number anytime I get 1 call (most can't live like that) and NEVER give it to businesses or institutions.
Its been a while since I had those calls.

My bank and my internet service provider do not even have my number.
I have a physical address and thats all anyone gets....just like the old days.

The minute I changed my number and quit giving my number out to businesses, the calls stopped.

The problem is if I refuse to give an email or phone number....I can't join a gym,can't get warranties etc etc and thats how they get you to give info.

I have a mailing address and thats good enough for me.
I won't be strong armed to give my personal email or phone number to have these assholes spam me with promotions or have telemarketers calling me.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I get them a lot myself. I like to mess with them. Hell, most of the time they hang up on me.

Just think of it like this...you've got a captive audience and they're there for your entertainment. Get creative...be offensive. They're invading your privacy so why not make it worth your while?

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

I've been getting local number spam calls as well.

To make matters worse I have a strong assumption they're ghosting their number with random local numbers.... The reason I lean towards this theory is about twice a week I've been getting calls on my cell saying "you called?" nope.

Look through my recent and nothing.

I've been getting these local number spam calls for about a year now. Infuriating. And I suspect your theory is in the right ballpark. A few times a month I get a text from a random number that says "G, you gotta check this out" with or without a link and "G, thanks for the call" etc.
edit on 19-4-2019 by KansasGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Hello...........what ............ Dave's not here........... what?............. Dave's not here............. Hello...........what......... Dave's not here.......

And hang up

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Guy calls me a few weeks back. Asks to speak to Richard...you can imagine the fun I had with that one.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny
I must have at least 100 numbers blocked on my cell, with another 50 that are blocked based on their area code. It's becoming a royal PIA. I only allow calls that are from my area code, but the majority of them are now from unknown callers/scammers. I'm sure there must be an app that would help, but usually those you need to pay for. The federal government's National Do Not Call Registry hasn't done squat for me!

I've been using one named Mr. Number, this is an Android app, no cost so far and it has worked well for me but it may depend on the area i guess?

Every now and then a call goes through but i can block it and it seems the number is reported and added to their db. I have seen incoming calls that get immediately blocked and the app says "Reported as Spam or Telemarketer"

Worth a try i guess

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I can’t stand them. Lately I’ve been getting actual scam calls.

The most recent one was saying my social security number has been suspended, haha. As if that’s even possible.

Good thing I’m not a derp, otherwise I’d have a new alter ego using my information for nefarious purposes in some other country *coughINDIAcough*

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Robocalling is out of control. I had 9 robocalls in 45 minutes. At this rate I will just stop using it.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: RomaSempre
I get them a lot myself. I like to mess with them. Hell, most of the time they hang up on me.

Just think of it like this...you've got a captive audience and they're there for your entertainment. Get creative...be offensive. They're invading your privacy so why not make it worth your while?

Much the same myself.

When they ring, I say "Sorry, can you speak English?" I've had some interesting replies suffice to say on occasions I've been passed to the....(wait for it) "SUPERVISOR" who apparently knows English. Same again, i reply with, "So solly, me no misundertake you!"

"Beep, beep, beep." Lately I don't get any more calls.

My way of dealing with the telestupids,

bally

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 08:56 AM
link   

I don't mind them. If it weren't for Sanjay the boner medicine salesman, my uncle Ngonogondo calling from Nigeria about my money and the IRS also calling about my money I'd have no one to talk to.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Get truecaller.
It tells you when it’s a spam caller.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: RomaSempre

It was better in the old days when it was a person versus a recording. Olan Mills used to call wanting to setup a photography session. In the most depressed voice I could muster I said “Well, it’s just me now...and I really don’t feel like taking any pictures.” The woman actually exclaimed “Oh my God.” Like my wife and children were wiped out in a car accident or something.

Sears used to hit me for vinyl siding until I played along like an easy mark saying how wonderful it would be. Got them all the way to pricing and financial options after a good 20-30 minutes. So came to scheduling a time and I said I would have to talk with the landlord for what would be a good time for him since I live in a 130 year old brick three story apartment building. That click let me know I would never be called again.

I have had plenty of fun over the years. But a recording in Mandarin? That was just bizarre, I mean I could have been a multi-Billion dollar winner or had a new mail order bride or something.

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

There is a recording based scam starting pretty much this way...."...calling on a recorded line. Can you hear me alright"?

DONT ANSWER either YES or OK...then they can use your voice to steal identities

new topics

top topics

join