It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commander Julio Chamorro Flores (Peruvian Airforce) Discusses 1980 Shooting Of UFO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The 1980 UFO case involving a Peruvian Air Force pilot attempting to shoot down a UFO, was discussed in an EXCELLENT thread on ATS back in 2010. Matter of fact, I have that thread bookmarked for future reference, because IMO it is one of the most important UFO sightings of all time. For those who never heard of this sighting, I highly recommend you check out this LINK to that thread.

I found tonight, a recent video clip of an interview with Commander Julio Chamorro Flores (of the Peruvian Airforce), that was posted on YouTube on April 8. Flores is also the founder of Peru's DIFFAA (Department of Investigation of Anomalous Phenomenon) and discusses in great detail the 1980 Peruvian UFO event.

Back in 1980, when nearly 2000 military personnel at the Air Base of La Joya, Arequipa, saw the strange, stationary object in the sky, the commander of the base assumed it was a Chilean spy balloon. This resulted in the "immediate takeoff of a Sukhoi SU-22 fighter-bomber with the mission to destroy the target."

The content and quotes below are from the YouTube video clip posted below:

This is a well known UFO sighting event, that happened over a rather secret air base, in Arequipa, Peru, in 1980. At that time, there was a lot of military tension between Peru and Chile and the commander of the base, presuming that it was a spy ship, ordered the immediate takeoff of a Sukhoi SU-22 fighter-bomber with the mission to destroy the target that was initially presumed as a kind of spy balloon. As well, there were about 1800 men in formation, witnessing this. Lieutenant Oscar Santa Maria Huertas was the commander of the ship that crossed the airstrip to then launch to intercept the aerial object and destroy it. As soon as he was aiming at his target, which was suspended and motionless about 600 meters above the ground, Lieutenant Santa Maria squeezed the trigger with a powerful and long blast from the aircraft’s guns. The projectiles seemed to go through the object without any of them exploding and without causing any damage! The object then shot into the sky at an incredible speed, being followed by the Soviet-made supersonic aircraft, which was now being taken to its maximum limit. The object was quickly moving away and rising at the same time and Santa Maria had to stop abruptly and do turns to avoid hitting it. On top of that, he then realized he was running out of fuel! After 22 minutes since his contact with the UFO, Santa Maria decided to leave the mission while the UFO continued ascending, and after landing, the the UFO reappeared and remained visible for two hours in front of the military base.

A few statements from the interview with Commander Flores:

....Almost 2000 people witnessed this event and it was real. I experienced it and now I am remembering it.

....For me, it looked like a hot air balloon that was changing it's shape, so we considered it an easy target.

....By that time, we had a tense period with Chile. Due to those circumstances, because we were in a military tension, we were living under what is called red alert.

....So, when this (UFO sighting) happened, the airplanes were in a minute response mode...

Here's the interview of Commander Julio Chamorro Flores, that was posted on April 8, 2019:

edit on 4/18/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Are there any pictures of it? Two hours is plenty of time for them to get some good photos and even video.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
Are there any pictures of it? Two hours is plenty of time for them to get some good photos and even video.

In 1980 people didn't have cameras like today and they wouldn't let you have one anyway. I passed by that air base (La Joya) many times in those days. Very similar to what Area 51 would be.

It's right next to the highway (Panamericana), but you couldn't stop the car or take a photo. Armed guards could shoot you and then ask or they could arrest you and give you an experience you don't want to have. Nobody I know could describe to you how was the base inside and asking about it was a bad idea.

There was a very strong chance of war with Chile and espionage was a real theat. My friends used to go fishing to the beach, next to tanks patrolling the border.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I agree that there was plenty of time for photos, videos, or perhaps gun-camera footage from the aircraft. One of the more frustrating aspects of ufology, is the lack of "concrete" evidence. Either UFO's are just a figment of the imagination, or they're real.

I'll never forget the time I saw a UFO, for my first and only time, as a teenager, back in the mid 70's. It literally was beyond my comprehension. The UFO that I saw was a craft that defied explanation. I remember my mind was scrambling for an explanation on what I was seeing. I ruled out that it was an airplane, helicopter, star, or spotlight...I was totally mystified at what it could possibly be. I knew all about different aircraft, since I was an Air Force brat and lived on several bases, along with my sister, while my father was base commander.

As far as for any video or audio evidence, I believe that it's in the hands of the Peruvian military. Evidence from such encounters are also gathered by the United States military and witnesses are often threatened to keep silent. My late father, who retired a Lt. Col., knew of my interest with UFOs as a kid and refrained from discussing anything that dealt with the subject. He often would curtly dismiss the subject, or change the subject entirely. He was stationed at Wright Patterson AFB in the early 60's and I'd always ask him if there were confiscated alien craft stored there. To this day, I'm convinced he knew things that he wasn't at liberty to discuss.

edit on 4/18/2019 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 07:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

In 1980 people didn't have cameras like today and they wouldn't let you have one anyway. I passed by that air base (La Joya) many times in those days. Very similar to what Area 51 would be.

It's right next to the highway (Panamericana), but you couldn't stop the car or take a photo. Armed guards could shoot you and then ask or they could arrest you and give you an experience you don't want to have. Nobody I know could describe to you how was the base inside and asking about it was a bad idea.

There was a very strong chance of war with Chile and espionage was a real theat. My friends used to go fishing to the beach, next to tanks patrolling the border.

Uhhh , it was a military aircraft with a few cameras and radar .
Which , in a chase , would automatically turn on.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Good stuff mate and truly interesting UFO incident.

"At this point, I came within about 300 feet of the UFO. It was about 30 feet in diameter. It was an enameled, cream-colored dome, with a wide, circular, metallic base. It had no engines, no exhausts, no windows, no wings or antennae. It lacked all the typical aircraft components, with no visible propulsion system."

Are there any pictures of it?

No photos have ever been released by the Peruvian Military KansasGirl (and I'm sure some would have been taken by ground personnel) -assuming it was a tactical reconnaissance Sukhoi Su-17 equipped with gun camera then the Peruvian Military (or any military) have never released any gun footage either.

Missing Gun Camera UFO Footage?

It's stated that there was an immediate briefing after the incident with the pilot, General, Operations Personnel, Air Defense and Base Defense as the base's defense system had been activated to 'high alert' status - apparently "what happened in the meeting was to remain there and not be divulged at any time".

As well as the potential of missing gun camera footage there's also the subject of the control tower transmission recordings that have never been released by the Peruvian Military - in Leslie Kean's book Huertes mentions that he radioed the control tower to describe the object and specifically states at the beginning of the intercept flight that he made sure the tape recorders on the aircraft were working because he knew this was an extremely unusual mission.

Also brought up was the fact that the UFO never registered on the base's radar screens even though the radar operators on the ground could clearly see the object in the sky at the time (which they described it as metallic and spherical).

originally posted by: Trueman

There was a very strong chance of war with Chile and espionage was a real theat

Hola mate, seems at the time of the UFO incident the base was full of Soviet military installing 'defense apparatus' (so I'd imagine things were a bit tense) - it states in this vid around 5:00 that there exists no official documentation about this case from the Peruvian authorities so it's a good job the Chief Defense Attaché at the U.S. Embassy informed the Defense Intelligence Agency, the NSA, the CIA, the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the State Department about it.

Document
edit on 19-4-2019 by karl 12 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 9 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
You have to be pretty brave to chase that thing. I know some will say it's the pilots job, but if I'd just unleashed a load of machine gun bullets at an object and they'd gone right through, I'd be reluctant to give further chase.

But then again I'm a bit of a chicken!

top topics

join