It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do oysters suffer?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfoldman
What would an oyster think?
Screw you dear human, in my next life I make you eat crap.

The Oyster doesn't have the same psychological problems like humans do. I don't think they have an ego. I'm pretty sure dying is just a part of living for all things in the natural state (unlike us).
The Oyster is probably happy to be giving its energy to another fellow life form.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Would you, as an oyster, really be capable of being aware of all that? That's the true question. Sure existence is ending, but how aware of that end would you be?

One second there "is" and the next there "is not".

How much anthropmorphizing is too much? It's like with our dogs. We tend to transmit a lot of the lasting traumas they suffer from to them when they really live from moment to moment, day to day. We say, "Oh, my dog was so horribly abused that this will make him very, very anxious!" Then we get all anxious. Our dog picks up on that anxiety from us and then behaves with the anxiety we expect and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You can always go vegan or vegetarian and then not worry if your fish food had suffered!
edit on 18-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: r0xor
a reply to: rickymouse

I'll eat certain fish, but I'm even picky on that. I had a blackened tuna steak, caught recently at an expensive restaurant in Murrell's Inlet, SC when I was there on a trip once.

That was good, really good. It cost almost $20 and this was 13 years ago but it was pretty good. When I was a kid in the St. Louis area, fried catfish was awesome.

Now that I live in VA, near the coast no less, the only seafood I eat is a Filet o' Fish sandwich from Mcdonalds or a piece of fried fish from Long John Silvers, although I like their chicken better.

It's shaped like the fish, fried in the same type of batter as the fish, hell almost tastes similar, but it's not fish. I think they use Alaskan Pollock but not sure anymore.

Compared with pollock, Alaska pollock has a milder taste, whiter color and lower oil content.

High-quality, single-frozen whole Alaska pollock fillets may be layered into a block mold and deep-frozen to produce fish blocks that are used throughout Europe and North America as the raw material for high-quality breaded and battered fish products. Lower-quality, double-frozen fillets or minced trim pieces may also be frozen in block forms and used as raw material for lower-quality, low-cost breaded and battered fish sticks and portions.

Single-frozen Alaska pollock is considered to be the premier raw material for surimi; the most common use of surimi in the United States is imitation crabmeat (also known as crab stick).[citation needed]

Alaska pollock is commonly used in the fast food industry, in products such as McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwich and (now-discontinued) Fish McBites,[23] Arby's Classic Fish sandwich,[24] Long John Silver's Baja Fish Taco,[25]Birds Eye's Fish Fingers in Crispy Batter.[26] and Captain D's Seafood Kitchen.[27]

Milder taste no wonder it's good.

I remember going to a friends house as a teen, nice upper middle class house. I asked why it smelled like fish so bad, and this was a pungent ass all permeating smell. My friend said his mom cooked fish for dinner yesterday.

I often buy Pollock filets that are individually flash frozen to make kala Mojakka out of and also to make broiled fish out of. You can get it for about two bucks a pound. I do not mind the wild caught China pollock at all. Some of the Alaska Pollock is farmed, make sure it says wild caught if you buy it. in fact, half of the stuff out of Alaska is farmed, not as healthy as wild caught. Because China was farming fish and using improper chemicals, the pollock coming out of China is strictly regulated these days after people were getting sick from it. Now it is the only fish that is guaranteed to be what it is and is the only fish that when it says wild caught, china, it is what it says. It is frequently inspected, no other pollock is inspected. Not even Alaska Pollock. In alaska they do follow the rules for chemistry used that matches the USA regulations, but farmed fish is never as healthy as wild caught.

Strange how the cheapest fish in the super market from China is actually the one most inspected for this stuff. It got a bad name, but they fixed the problem. Wild caught China cod is taken from the ocean on factory ships, it is quickly processed and is usually from up north in the oceans. It is flash frozen and kept at extremely cold temperatures, I am not afraid of eating that either. The supposedly fresh never frozen cod has more sulfites in it than the frozen, it also can have chemistry such as TBHQ which can compromise a person't immune system from working properly. If you just eat say four to six ounces of the TBHQ fish, maybe twice a week, no problem. I like fish though, I will gobble down a pound when I eat it.

I usually avoid fish from California and the gulf these days, I like Alaska wild caught sockeye salmon though. I get the flash frozen type usually, being processed and flash frozen it has less histamine levels in it.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

an oyster has the last laugh - it can piss down your throat

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Can you trust anything from china with their extremely loose pollution regulations.

Then you gotta worry about fish with plastic, other pollutants, radiated fukishims fish, farmed fish like you said, and im sure there is other stuff.

Must be tough for a fish eater.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Can you trust anything from china with their extremely loose pollution regulations.

Then you gotta worry about fish with plastic, other pollutants, radiated fukishims fish, farmed fish like you said, and im sure there is other stuff.

Must be tough for a fish eater.

We all die sometimes. Sometimes, I think animals have it best. They can't think ahead that far to worry about it.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Plants know all about it as you chop them up and throw them into a hot pan. And those heartless vegetarians sleep like babies.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

right...Chandra Bose PROVED that plants have emotions and fear pain etc...back in 1900...so no, vegetarian is not more virtuous

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 01:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

right...Chandra Bose PROVED that plants have emotions and fear pain etc...back in 1900...so no, vegetarian is not more virtuous

So burning a plant is the same as burning a dog or cow?

The animal brains that experience pain is the same as plants sending signals that they're being eaten? And a guy back in the 1900s is your proof?

Seriously? Only a sociopath would equate the suffering of an animal to that of a tree... Although i do hear this arguement alot. It feels like a very lazy attempt to dismiss animal rights. I doubt anyone with a serious approach to animal suffering would ever make this arguement as it's one of equating all living responses as the same in regards to the ethics of suffering.

If the chemical responses in plants are equated to the chemical and electrical signals of "pain" in an animal then one could easily argue that human pain is of the same nature. Just more complex.

If everything is the same because they consist of the same type of "pain" responses when broken down to the smallest level, then humans are no different in that simplest logic.

Then what is the difference between setting a human on fire and a plant on fire or an animal on fire? What is the difference if all pain is seen as the same when broken down ?

See the problem here? This logic is that of a sociopath who doesn't believe in empathy.

edit on 19-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yea , but they live a simple life of pure survival and sometimes your life consists of being born and quickly eaten
. At least you're not beinv eaten (for the most part ).

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 07:40 PM
link   

lol, really? sociopathy?

I shoot and eat animals, raise and eat plants. This is a predatory universe my friend.

When I hunt, I risk being eaten by lions, impaled by deer, smashed by elk and moose, bitten by rattlers...you get my point.

I am deeply spiritual and thankful as well respectful for the exchange of energy that underlies the entirety of existence.

I would say YOU dont have empathy. I would gamble youre a city dweller, that goes to a store for everything you consume...to me and my kind, true ignorance.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

I didn't condemn hunting.. My entire point was that animal suffering is not the same as plant suffering.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:29 PM
link   

suffering, is suffering. Sadly its a fact of life. If God is everything, then everything is God...so how is one life percieved, greater, or less than another?

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Ahh so if one tortures a plant, it is the same as a human being being tortured?

Your "god is everything" arguement is based on your beliefs and doesn't really help with any real debate.

You're equating all suffering as the same. Spirituality doesn't equal empathy buddy and you sound like a sociopath. Only sociopaths lack telling the difference between cutting a plant and cutting a dog.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   

wow, well I dont judge people like you do. as a farmer and perma culturist I experience Earth in a different way.

I feel sorry for you.

posted on Apr, 19 2019 @ 11:16 PM
link   
That's great. But without considering levels of suffering we cannot create a sense of animal and human rights. You're simplifying suffering and then when pressured to explain you just fall back into a spiritual arguement.

It's not about spirituality, but about morals and ethics. Without those, it's a free fof all.

After all why would you care if a human being was enslaved or if an animal was tortured? Their suffering is no different than plants? And im sure you step on and "hurt" plants everyday, so why care about a human or animal suffering if they are just experiencing the same suffering as those plants?

I don't care if you eat animals. I just think your idea of all suffering is lacking an honest approach, unless you really believe all pain is the same..

edit on 19-4-2019 by blueman12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join