It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Ukrainian Authorities Seize Uranium Near Airport

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
More unaccounted for nuclear materials have been accounted for in the Ukraine. The materials were found in a car near Keiv's airport, and the materials have been secured by Ukrainian officials.

www.jpost.com
Ukrainian authorities seized a container of radioactive uranium from a car outside Kiev's airport and arrested one person, emergency officials said Wednesday.

The uranium was found Tuesday evening in a car parked near Kiev's Boryspil airport, said Dmytro Bohuslovskiy, spokesman for the Emergency Situations Ministry.

Ukraine's security service was leading the investigation, he said.

Bohuslovskiy said the container, which media reports said held 582 grams (about 20 ounces) of Uranium-238, was transported to a special storage depot. He had no other information.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The isotope, Uranium-238 that was found was not the highly radioactive type that is typically used in nuclear bombs. It could however be used in a dirty bomb.

I find it curious that the materials were recovered near an airport though. Was the suspect perhaps planning on "exporting" the materials to someone.

Related News Links:
www.newton.dep.anl.gov

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   
When I hear of radio active material busts I always wonder how they're perpetrated. Did someone betray someone, was it an undercover job or just luck? Hopefully there's something in place doing a lot better job of tracking this stuff because if it's jcst luck were in trouble. Thanks for the post, always good to hear things like this.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Dear god, so these materials were infact stolen and have been moved about the country? This does not bode well.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 12:19 PM
link   
This really is nothing, compared to all the depleted uranium floating around thanks to our U.S. government.

See yesterday's article here:

www.atsnn.com...

Although this article didn't refer to the uranium found as "depleted", it sounds like that is what it is. "Depleted" uranium isn't as benign as it sounds. (Until recently, I thought "depleted" meant that it was not radioactive.) In fact, "depeted" uranium is U238 - it is a byproduct of processing to harvest the U234 and U235 isotopes in naturally-occuring uranium. The U234 and U235 are used in weapons and reactor fuel. What is left is U238 and our government has to get rid of it. We get rid of it by making it into bullets, armor plating, etc. for the military, and it is also used in a surprising array of civillian uses - including ballast in the construction of some civillian airplanes and in the keels of yachts! (Of course, it is shielded in these applications - it is easily shielded and is completely safe, untill, of course, the shield is breeched, the plane or vessel is in an accident, etc.)

So, I am struggling to understand why 20 ounces of this stuff found in the Ukraine is such a big deal when there are several POUNDS of it in certain civillian aircraft? Not to mention laying around on battlefields (and in bodies) in Iraq, Afghanastan, and Serbia.

Since this was found near an airport, I wonder of the perpetrators realized they were carrying coals to Newcastle?

edit: Ah, I see on closer examination the article DOES apparently state that this is depleted uranium. It's a bit vague, near the end of the article. It explains what depleted uranium is. But they failed to mention anywhere else in the article that depleted uranium = U238.

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Bay_Watcher]

[edit on 2-3-2005 by Bay_Watcher]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bay_Watcher
edit: Ah, I see on closer examination the article DOES apparently state that this is depleted uranium. It's a bit vague, near the end of the article. It explains what depleted uranium is. But they failed to mention anywhere else in the article that depleted uranium = U238.

That is why I included the additional link to explain what U238 is.

It is entirely possible though that a less then scrupulous Ukranian smuggler thought he had something good and was attempting to sell it off. The lack of security for nuclear materials in the former Soviet Union is scary, and this is an example of all the lose materials floating around that need to be accounted for.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature

The lack of security for nuclear materials in the former Soviet Union is scary, and this is an example of all the lose materials floating around that need to be accounted for.

As it is in the USA and around the world - thanks to the weapons trade.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
BTW, here's the most outrageous use of DU that I have found so far: since Formula 1 Racing imposed a minimum weight limit, F1 cars have started using DU to bring the cars up to the minimum weight. They design the cars slightly under-weight, and them bring them up to the minimum with DU.

So, the pit crews are all checked out by Homeland Security, right?

Right?

new topics

top topics

join