It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is Your Free Speech Now, America?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Free speech does not stop at your property line. You can stand on your property and say whatever you want. You can put up signs. Its free speech, not free speech here or there or just in that one spot.

Just because you are home does not mean you are entitled to absolute quiet at any time of day or night. What you hear in your yard is not an invasion of your privacy or harassment. Inside your home is a different story. Inside your home you have a reasonable right to expect some peace and quiet. If someone else's noise crosses the property line, passes through closed doors and windows and still interferes with your enjoyment of peace and quiet you have a reasonable complaint. But if you are standing in your front yard in the middle of the afternoon and you hear something you don't like - too bad. If its not threats or obscenity there isn't much to do about it.

The police should have known better than to take sides in neighborhood bickering like this. Its just words.

Now my neighbor is a different story. She is the head of the hoa for the condos she lives in. She tells her yard service to put all her yard waste in my yard so she doesn't have to pay for disposal. Then she calls the village and tells them my yard is untidy. Once a week I get piles of leaves and branches in my yard, most of which are from trees of a type I don't even own. I called the village and they said call the police. The police said there was nothing they could do about it. I went back to the village and told them that since the police confirmed that there is nothing wrong with dumping your garbage in someone else's yard they should plan on getting some complaints from my neighbor. As it turns out, dumping garbage in someone else's yard is an enforceable violation of village ordinance. The police did talk to her about it.

Who would have guessed?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Def not harassment. Disturbing the peace? Maybe.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Ask any black person.

I was just about to give you a star for that post, then you just had to go and get weird.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tartuffe
If that's what you need, then sure.

I didn't ask you about what I need, I'm asking you if it's ok or not for the government to prevent me from making sexy talk with little children. Yes or no?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Don't you just call that, "Tuesdays"?
:

Tuesday's are when I have to bail you out of county lock up.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Don't you just call that, "Tuesdays"?
:

Tuesday's are when I have to bail you out of county lock up.

They serve gravy potatoes in the chow line on Tuesday.

It's my thing.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
This made me think of something way back when that I had kinda forgot about. As a young kid in HS and right out of HS my father let me turn 3/4's of our garage into a rehearsal space/studio for our band. We did insulation, styrofoam and had floor to ceiling carpet on the walls, even used a 3"-4" foam pad on door. It was still loud as hell outside, pending on which band it was at the time, we we're playing either Heavy stuff like Maiden, Judas Priest, Scorps, Motley etc....or the classic stuff, Rush, Styx, Floyd, etc....

We never got complaints, had cool neighbors I assume, but I never really went around and asked either. After reading this thread I'm thinking we had to of driven our neighbors absolutely nuts at times. I'm sure after playing "You Got Another Thing Coming" or "Live Wire" for the fifth or sixth time they had to be getting annoyed. LOL

Gotta love the good ol' days.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 08:28 PM
link   
your freedom of speech ends were my ( Or her peace of mind begins )
The right of free speech comes with the responsibility of SELF censoring .
people who say OOO i can call you a a## or say FU and to bad its free speech need a good a%% kicking

link   
people who say OOO i can call you a a## or say FU and to bad its free speech need a good a%% kicking

link   

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   

They serve gravy potatoes in the chow line on Tuesday.

It's my thing.

That isn't gravy and those aren't potatoes.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   

If that's what you need, then sure.

I didn't ask you about what I need, I'm asking you if it's ok or not for the government to prevent me from making sexy talk with little children. Yes or no?

I think it’s ok, yes, but for reasons of conduct, not speech.

Which law prevents you from doing that exactly?

Here’s the only legal conclusion I could find, from Texas of all places.

The Texas Court of Criminal Appeals struck down a section of a 2005 law that banned adults from sexually explicit online communication with children.

That means soliciting a person under the age of 17 for sex remains illegal, but talking dirty with a child is protected by the U.S. Constitution.

Houston Chronicle
edit on 18-4-2019 by Tartuffe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 02:21 AM
link   
This should be a civil matter, not criminal.

Free speech, political or otherwise, should never be criminal.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: midnightstar

Why? That is a very subjective set of rules for speech that would have to apply to 330+ million people.

For example, you detest the color blue and I yammer on and on about how blue is the greatest color. According to you, I have affected your "peace of mind" with my speech. I should receive an ass kicking by saying I like thd color blue?

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Your free speech stops at your property line. Forcing your neighbor to listen to your noise is disturbing the peace. Calling people names and intimidating them when they are on their own property is harassment. "Free speech" means that the Federal government cannot make a law abridging your right to speak IN A PUBLIC FORUM. I don't see a public forum here. Your claim is nothing more than hyperbole.

I do not see anything in the Florida Constitution that says property line is where my free speech ends...

Every person may speak, write and publish sentiments on all subjects but shall be responsible for the abuse of that right. No law shall be passed to restrain or abridge the liberty of speech or of the press.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: StallionDuck

The Villages in Florida. For people that don't know. It is a gigantic, and I mean gigantic geriatric community where they break std records. There was a huge story about it years ago, and then they tried to backtrack because of the bad press.
I heard the news straight from a friend that is a pharma sales rep. Numbers don't lie.

Who knows, maybe that lady shared something with the guitar player and he is just returning the favor?

I wouldn't even want to have sex with people my age. WTF is going on down there?

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Then it turns out you're not for unrestricted free speech because my initial comment was about solicitation.

Thanks for playing.

edit on 18-4-2019 by AugustusMasonicus because: network dude has no beer because Heels took it

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Well I imagine disturbing the peace by playing your music too loud is a thing everywhere.

Yes, exactly. I think the OP is trolling. Making a public nuisance is not the same as "free speech".

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Then it turns out you're not for unrestricted free speech because my initial comment was about solicitation.

Thanks for playing.

I said conduct, not speech.

You oppose the free speech cause in the constitution. Game over.

posted on Apr, 18 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I said conduct, not speech.

My speech is part of my public conduct in that example. You don't really stand for unrestricted free speech in any of your incarnations, it's just a talking point.

You made it clear you are for restricting speech if someone behaved in the manner I outlined.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join