It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where Is Your Free Speech Now, America?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tartuffe
the first amendment means the federal government cannot make a law abridging the freedom of speech.

In certain cases they can because the Supreme Court has already ruled that unrestricted free speech is not constitutionally protected. Some people may be miserable about this, or as they say in French 'Les Miserable', but such is life as they also say in French.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

the first amendment means the federal government cannot make a law abridging the freedom of speech.

In certain cases they can because the Supreme Court has already ruled that unrestricted free speech is not constitutionally protected. Some people may be miserable about this, or as they say in French 'Les Miserable', but such is life as they also say in French.

I guess the constitution doesn't stand for much.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Us Americans like it, pilgrim.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Us Americans like it, pilgrim.

If you're fine with the government making laws abridging free speech, I don't see how that can be true.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Tartuffe

We realize that unrestricted free speech is a non-starter, unlike certain return posters from another country to this site.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

We realize that unrestricted free speech is a non-starter, unlike certain return posters from another country to this site.

So restricted speech is your idea of free speech? No greater contradictions have been uttered—well unless you sport a fedora.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   

So restricted speech is your idea of free speech?

The notion of unrestricted free speech is only for high spectrum literalists.

No greater contradictions have been uttered—well unless you sport a fedora.

Currently not wearing one, thank you, but at the next meet up, here in the United States where I reside, I most certainly will. I will free-speech the eff out of that bad boy right in front of the Liberty Bell while holding a freedom chicken.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
These days.

I'm more worried about political hackery of corporations than the Feds

Between Dicks, and others changing who they sell to( discrimination), and JP Morgan Chase,and Bank of 'Murica closing peoples accounts because they don't like what they say.

Free speech in America, and the rest of your civil liberties are no where to be found.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

So restricted speech is your idea of free speech?

The notion of unrestricted free speech is only for high spectrum literalists.

No greater contradictions have been uttered—well unless you sport a fedora.

Currently not wearing one, thank you, but at the next meet up, here in the United States where I reside, I most certainly will. I will free-speech the eff out of that bad boy right in front of the Liberty Bell while holding a freedom chicken.

Restricted free speech, to be sure. Wish I could come, but I'd rather avoid shuffling through the TSA while they feel around my underwear.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Restricted free speech, to be sure.

Question, should I be able to stand in front of the Liberty Bell and make salacious comments to young children soliciitng sex from them? I mean unresticted free speech is awesome, right? Let's go whole hog. A little pedophile talk never hurt anyone, right?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Question, should I be able to stand in front of the Liberty Bell and make salacious comments to young children soliciitng sex from them? I mean unresticted free speech is awesome, right? Let's go whole hog. A little pedophile talk never hurt anyone, right?

Why would you want to do that?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Because I love, love, love unrestricted free speech. Should I legally be permitted to act on my free speech desires? Yes or friggin no?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Because I love, love, love unrestricted free speech. Should I legally be permitted to act on my free speech desires? Yes or friggin no?

Do you need to the government to tell you not to do that?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

There's a fun game you can play type in "Florida Man" into google with your birth date and see the result.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Not my question. But let's say I do need the government to tell me not to do that, is that okay with you? Yes or no?

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Not my question. But let's say I do need the government to tell me not to do that, is that okay with you? Yes or no?

If that's what you need, then sure. There are plenty of governments that legislate morality and tell you what you can and cannot say. Personally, I'm not much of a statist in that respect. I prefer my own conscience to tell me what is right or wrong.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Don't you just call that, "Tuesdays"?
:

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: StallionDuck

Where does Rhode island come into play?? Article says Florida court documents.

Thank you! Saved me the trouble of having to look up where this really happened. I'm in Rhode island and hadn't heard anything about this happening here.

Just stay away from guitar players and youll be ok!

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 05:32 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

He should go back and blast out " starting up a posse " by anthrax, I'm betting the neighbor takes that personally as well.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Nothing whatsoever to do with the Freedom of Speech in the US
You have the freedom .
What you dont have is the freedom to slander your neighbor (out loud) even given "a thin veil" of a song
Or , use vulgar language in public
Even in Florida

Done,
Next

edit on 4/17/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join