It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Notre Dame on fire in Paris

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

It was built by Louis the VII.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: zazzafrazz

originally posted by: Nyiah

So awful!

The rose window, the Holy relics and the treasury. The Spire!
And in Holy Week

I'm teary looking at my photos from going to mass there.

It's also worth noting for the religious types, it's also possible letting it burn is a deity's way of making displeasure known with Catholic opulence on display in their buildings.

Just a thought to consider, that maybe even the omnipotent might have grandeur limits.

The Gothic Cathedral was built for humanity to look up and the echoing prayer be lifted up to the heavens. It was filled with light from the beauty of the stained glass windows. Beauty is not an affront to God.
To look up beyond yourself, to send your prayers to the heavens to praise Gods majesty in such a setting is not a sin.

It is a testimony to human kinds ingenuity with the advent of Gothic architecture and its Flying Buttresses. The sound of the voice at prayer echoing up in song and chant was heightened by the lofty height.

One doesn't need to be a 'Religious Type' to see this, one just has to read the history behind the architectural style.

God doesn't do this. Fire with Oxygen inside a stone oven like structure did.

Intent in physical design is one thing, the decor afterthoughts are another. I wouldn't put charring a church past the guy who supposedly drowned an entire planet out of spite, Zazz.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

So awful!

The rose window, the Holy relics and the treasury. The Spire!
And in Holy Week

I'm teary looking at my photos from going to mass there.

It's also worth noting for the religious types, it's also possible letting it burn is a deity's way of making displeasure known with Catholic opulence on display in their buildings.

Just a thought to consider, that maybe even the omnipotent might have grandeur limits.

The Gothic Cathedral was built for humanity to look up and the echoing prayer be lifted up to the heavens. It was filled with light from the beauty of the stained glass windows. Beauty is not an affront to God.
To look up beyond yourself, to send your prayers to the heavens to praise Gods majesty in such a setting is not a sin.

It is a testimony to human kinds ingenuity with the advent of Gothic architecture and its Flying Buttresses. The sound of the voice at prayer echoing up in song and chant was heightened by the lofty height.

One doesn't need to be a 'Religious Type' to see this, one just has to read the history behind the architectural style.

God doesn't do this. Fire with Oxygen inside a stone oven like structure did.

Intent in physical design is one thing, the decor afterthoughts are another. I wouldn't put charring a church past the guy who supposedly drowned an entire planet out of spite, Zazz.

Of course, if that guy wanted to make His displeasure at opulence known, there are far grander gestures than burning one church.

Be careful what threats you make on His behalf.

link   
a reply to: Nyiah

OK.
If you want to think that.
I would never presume to know Gods intent.
I'm just watching the news, thinking how sad such a magnificent historical and religious structure is gone.
edit on 15-4-2019 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

link   
Cigarettes not only kill people but the spirit as well!

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

You know, the same people who flew those planes into the WTC...those damn Amish.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:39 PM
link   
and this little gem...those Amish and their dates always having meaning or reference to something that happened to them...

Link

Again, could very well be an accident...I am not pointing fingers at the Amish...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Assuming this was a total accident.

Just imagine how crushed the people who caused the "accident" would be right now... Just thinking about how I feel when I make a minor mistake at work, then you'd have to times that by at least a billion.

S# happens, but sometimes you really wish it happened to someone else... as they say.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

I was thinking the exact thing.

If I was working on such a historical and religious relic, I'd be beside myself if my error caused such destruction.

Though I'm not religious, I can certainly appreciate the beauty of the structure and the significance it holds for so many.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

That must be pure coincidence....
The amish are definately the ones to be looked at especially at Rumshpringa

link   
Religious rhetoric aside, it was a grand old piece of architecture and a piece of history, but the most important thing is that no one is harmed or killed. Buildings can be rebuilt or replaced. People can't.

link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

No doubt. There was an accident where a guy did something wrong with some welding equipment here where I live a year or so ago, and it was a windy day ... and one thing led to another and pretty soon a spark on a wooden balcony at a construction site blew up into a four alarm fire that destroyed an entire multi-million dollar site.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Hmmm...

Catholic landmark that's been around almost 900 years...

It's Easter week...

Tons of social unrest in Paris...

Coincidence? If this was a conspiracy theory forum one might assume the fire was intentional.

(I was lucky enough to see it last Feb when I was in Paris. This is really a horrific loss. If you saw it in person you would understand the rich history and beauty of this Gothic wonder.)

link   
a reply to: vinifalou

April 15 is not a good day.

The Titanic sank.

Abraham Lincoln was assassinated.

link   
This has been such a terrible period for the loss of our global history.

I remember seeing those amazing Roman temples and ancient buildings in Palmyra being levelled by explosives. The Babylonian sculptures and statues being sledgehammered. The demolition of those incredible mountainside Buddhist statues. All of the ancient buildings destroyed in WW2.

This is such a loss, not just for France,...but for humanity.
edit on 15-4-2019 by IAMTAT because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Klassified

This is very true. All I have been thinking is that there will be mass for Holy Week and had this not occurred today if could have been much worse. On the other hand, if this was nefarious, then it is a perfect week for an 'accident' to occur during the most holy time of the church.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
A buddy of mine recently has gone to Europe for a holiday, the 2 main locations he is going to are France and Greece. What he found is depressing. (He's of Greek decent)

When he arrived in Greece he said that 98% of the people in Athens where Greek it was hard to find a migrant, the only non Greeks he found where Albanians who look the same as Greeks anyway and many of them are Orthodox. Not a big deal.

However, When he arrived in France, he found a different story. For the first hour he was there he didn't see a single French person, after being there for a few days he told me that 40% of the population is Arab, 30% is African and the rest are French. In public he hears Arabic being spoken as a second language to French. He said he saw more women in Hijabs in Paris than he did in Turkey.

My question is when given the situation of France. what solution is there? what realistic way is there to fix this, is France too far gone?
edit on 15-4-2019 by RetsuUnohana because: fixed spelling errors

edit on 15-4-2019 by RetsuUnohana because: fixed spelling errors and spacing

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   
French fire services just reported they are not sure the fire can be stopped.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: RetsuUnohana

Why has this got to do with a burning structure?

Maybe start a thread instead on why some Arabs are in France, and why were the French in the Arab world as colonists for centuries?
I'll join your there

edit on 15-4-2019 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join