It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1,060-hour image of the Large Magellanic Cloud (LMC) captured by Amateur Astronomers

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
astrospace-page.blogspot.com...

www.cielaustral.com...

The image is a mosaic made of 16 smaller fields of view, which, once stitched together form a high-resolution image of 204 Million of pixels! As of matter of fact, this is not the work of a single person but by a team of five french amateur astronomers called "Ciel Austral"

Ciel Austral" owns a remotely-controlled observatory located in the most prestigious skies of the planet, in Chile, and more precisely at the El Sauce Observatory (Coquimbo Region). A 160-mm APO-refractor telescope and a Moravian CCD were used to obtain this wonderful field. The datasets were taken over several months, ranging from 2018 and 2019. The heavy files handled represent 620 GB and needed few hundreds of hours to get out of the image processing step! Once stacked together, they make up the stunning figure of 1060 hours of exposure.

astrophotographers used a couple of special filters which transmit narrow parts -lines- of the visible spectrum : the Hydrogen Alpha line at 656 nm, the Sulfur line at 672 nm and the Oxygen III spectral line at 500 nm. These kind of filters enable to emphasize chemical components located in high-density gas regions like nebulae, what standard RGB imaging can not perform.

Came across this thought i'd share. I suppose it's not as groundbreaking as the recent blackhole picture, but this one is definitely the more beautiful of the two recent space pictures i've seen. Would make a good desktop background.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Awesome!!

It just astonishes me more of the younger generation aren't really interested in astronomy and physics!

Just 20 years ago most of this stuff could only be imagined and theorized. What could be seen were just blurry fragments. Now we can actually see it in its full majesty with our own eyes.

Amazing!

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Beautiful

With luck someday humanity will explore those places.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Impossibility begs to differ.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Always gives me perspective... in the big scheme of things we are no more significant, than a single grain of sand on the beach somewhere getting pounded by the surf. So who gives a chit if I do my sales report,

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Wow, didn't know LMC had so many nebulae. They're so pretty in narrowband colours, like gems spread over black velvet.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Impossibility begs to differ.

When automobiles first came along they said that human's should not travel that fast and some even claimed it would be lethal.

When man tried to break the sound barrier they said that it could not be done.

The list goes on and on and on.

Some day human's or at least there descendant's may very well explore those Galaxy's - even the one's that are not there now, folding space may make that possible and Alcubierre derived drives may make that possible were the speed of light is no longer a barrier except in linear motion.

Also remember the speed of light may be a constant but that is only a barrier to linear motion.
www.iflscience.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

And then there is always technology's they may be sitting on under the guise of national security around the world that may if ever made available to the public change the very nature of our civilization.

And if it can be done odd's are that it already has been by someone else out there among the stars, someone whom may even now be making guided tour's of the primitives living on world's that think it can not be done.

Let's say that someday someone manages to make it possible to move matter through quantum entanglement and not simply potential charges of energy and information, after all that is all matter really is the superstring of the universe oscillating at right angles to the time space continuum in a standing wave form which we perceive as solid matter but you know it is not solid at all and it is all really just information expressed in a form that we perceive as solid, everything is information one way or another so why can it not be moved through quantum translocation technology.

And if it can, movement - displacement - without inertia, seemingly instantaneous directional changes, passing through solid objects, going invisible and of course stepping between world's through fixed portal's and even using the same technology on board quantum translocation ship's to move faster than light itself without moving at all.

Since so called Spooky Quantum Entanglement is at it's lowest estimate 10.000 time's faster than the speed of light.

Never say never, some black budget super secret operation probably by a shadow government whom hold more power than the official one and rule them like a puppet show probably already has done so somewhere.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:29 AM
link   
its so cool to see from far away. but i think if you are flying into it, you do not see the colors anymore. like maybe from over there our side of the galaxy has cool blue swirls too. but when you are on a planet, in that swirl, you dont see it, right?

amazing stuff.

i wonder even if an experienced shaman can astral project there, if not, no one around here will ever see those places.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

The roadblock is not the mechanism to travel, the roadblock is the human form.

In order to do any of those things, you are going to have to first find a way to disassemble the human being down to about the molecular level (if not further) and then reassemble it again in another place and time. You are also going to have to figure out a way to suspend the aging process in the human.

None of these things were an issue with the car, or traveling faster than sound.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Amazing.

I wonder if you could attach another telescope to the telescope above and zoom in even further.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

Amazing.

I wonder if you could attach another telescope to the telescope above and zoom in even further.

Zooming in is easy (just make a telescope with a very long focal length). You could potentially have a telescope with x1000 zoom.

It's getting good resolution and light-gathering power that's the trick. For that, you need a large primary mirror, the larger the better. The Hubble has a 2.4 meter mirror, VLT has an 8 meter mirror, and there's a gigantic telescope being built which will have a whopping 39.3 meter mirror.

Amateur astronomers have to make do with 12-inch for backyard telescopes, and somewhere around 22-inch for private mini-observatories.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Great pictures , I think they're especially cool because they were produced by amateur astronomers , I particularly like the first image , clumpy.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

22 inches

Way bigger at many star parties in the USA.

Oh and a little Hubble fact

The science team that developed the new Advanced Camera for Surveys be installed in SM3B points out that the high resolution channel of the ACS should resolve two fireflies separated by about 10 feet at a distance corresponding to the distance between New York and Tokyo..

edit on 17-4-2019 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join