It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida voting laws - restoring voting rights for felons - US presidency possibly at stake

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

Probably won't make much difference in the long run because in the long run, the "Democrats" will eliminate the Electoral College which will mean the cities will determine the outcomes of elections making voting virtually useless.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Get off those crazy pills. Democrats have zero intention of banning the electoral college. One or two people brought it up, not the whole party. Should the Repubs be judged simply on what a couple crazies in the party say?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Crazy pills?

From a Democrat/Progressive propaganda website:
www.huffpost.com...

The Electoral College is one of the most dangerous institutions in American politics today.

Democrat Candidate Elizabeth Warren supports eliminating the Electoral College.
www.politico.com...

Sen. Elizabeth Warren on Monday called for abolishing the Electoral College as part of an effort to expand voting rights, making her one of the first Democrats running for president in 2020 to propose such a radical shift in how U.S. presidents are elected.

Democrat controlled States are signing onto the "National Popular Vote Interstate Compact."
thehill.com...

A plan to circumvent the Electoral College is gaining momentum among blue states after Democrats suffered two crushing defeats in presidential elections over the past two decades. The plan has been given new impetus after Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) said this week that he will sign a bill to have his state become the 12th state, along with the District of Columbia, to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact. The states making up the compact, which already includes New York, Illinois and all the New England states except for New Hampshire, would commit to awarding their electoral votes to whomever wins the popular vote nationally, regardless of the results in the Electoral College.

So, as of now 12 States have signed on representing 172 Electoral Votes:
www.dailysignal.com...

Once enough states sign on, the "Republic" is all but dead.

All hail the tyranny of "Democracy".

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Because roughly 93% of felons who have petitioned to get thier voting rights reinstated vote Democrat historically, according to poll

You have a source for that?

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Prison = Limited Rights

Free = All Rights

If you do the time for the crime, then you 'did' the time... You paid for it. Why pay for it again? If you set your full term in prison, there should be no 'parole', no mandates, all your rights restored to you, period!

Just because you did something stupid 10 years ago doesn't mean you have to pay for it the rest of your life when you're a free person walking around in the world. That person was judged by their peers and in a court of law. You nor I should judge them AGAIN after they paid their penance. It doesn't matter who or what they vote for. Who they vote for should not be our concern and it's no one's business but their own.

Making someone pay for their rights after being jailed should be illegal. Especially for people on parole. They have less of a chance of being able to pay for their rights returned. That's why most of them end up right back in the system. They're treated like 4th rate citizens when they're released. Many can't find work. The work that is found pays peanuts. If their boss jacks them over, they can't complain because it's too easy to ship them back to prison based on what their boss says.

Pretty sad.

All rights... No payment... No excuses!

edit on 15-4-2019 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 02:54 PM
link   

This has been tried before. Democrats didn't care about blacks until they wanted their votes. They didn't care about illegals until they needed their votes. They didn't care about gays until they needed their vote. And since all else is failing, now they're going for felons because they need their vote. Fortunately for them, Trump's criminal justice reform would have more felons voting for him and Conservatives than democrats. But either way, felons don't need to vote. They lost that right when they committed a felony. I can already see the next name the left comes up with to toss in the basket of deplorables to describe the right with will be scelerophobes.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DigginFoTroof
I'm not sure TBH. I know that in the first link it said that in one year there were something like 100,000 people who got rights restored in FL and then then next year only 3,000. What has changed, I think, is the metrics used to determine if someone is eligible, because the whole deal is that there are 1.6 million felons who would be eligible to vote if things progress the way the democrats want it.

It's pretty sad that felons make up 17% of the voting bloc in FL.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: Lumenari

Because roughly 93% of felons who have petitioned to get thier voting rights reinstated vote Democrat historically, according to poll

You have a source for that?

It's common sense. If the democrats thought for one second that giving voting rights to felons would help the Republicans, they wouldn't think about changing it. Just like voter ID laws.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Once you serve your time you should get your rights restored.

Even though I am just your sock puppet. . I agree with you.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I like when I agree with me.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

Why would that favor R's? In 2018 44% of whites voted D. So assuming the other 66% are all white (they aren't), then 30% of felons will vote Dem from the black demographic, and 29% of Felons will vote Dem from the non black demographic, giving them 59% of the vote.

Looks like it hugely favors Democrats.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

The article i linked said it was a negligible diff. Besides...id guess 1 to 2 percent would actually vote.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

originally posted by: tinner07 a reply to: Lumenari You have a source for that? It's common sense. If the democrats thought for one second that giving voting rights to felons would help the Republicans, they wouldn't think about changing it. Just like voter ID laws.

I get called out for sources pretty much anytime i post my opinions. So common sense is not a source... But you are saying voter ID laws is a method of republicans voter suppression?

She said 93%... is it now wrong to ask for a source for an actual stat that a member posts? If it is say so now or forever hold your peace lol...

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

** edit - The change in law would allow for the restoration of voting rights of over 1.6 million felons - which is why this could swing the vote so much. I'm not sure how the metrics change with the law, but that 1.6 million would not have been legible before the ballot/law was passed.

How about some balance to the report? Fact: Almost every state allows ex-felons to vote Some have an automatic restoration of rights after the person's sentence is finished.

Here's the list of states that allow felons to vote after they've finished their term of imprisonment and completed other processes:
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Notice that Florida's on this list because it was made after last November. Maine and Vermont allow them to vote from prison. Only a few say that the allowance must come from the governor's office.

Bottom line: It's the same policy as used by most states. Ex-felons have been voting in elections for decades.

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 09:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: StallionDuck
Prison = Limited Rights

Free = All Rights

If you do the time for the crime, then you 'did' the time... You paid for it. Why pay for it again? If you set your full term in prison, there should be no 'parole', no mandates, all your rights restored to you, period!

Just because you did something stupid 10 years ago doesn't mean you have to pay for it the rest of your life when you're a free person walking around in the world. That person was judged by their peers and in a court of law. You nor I should judge them AGAIN after they paid their penance. It doesn't matter who or what they vote for. Who they vote for should not be our concern and it's no one's business but their own.

Making someone pay for their rights after being jailed should be illegal. Especially for people on parole. They have less of a chance of being able to pay for their rights returned. That's why most of them end up right back in the system. They're treated like 4th rate citizens when they're released. Many can't find work. The work that is found pays peanuts. If their boss jacks them over, they can't complain because it's too easy to ship them back to prison based on what their boss says.

Pretty sad.

All rights... No payment... No excuses!

If you can't understand that there is more than one aspect of the sentencing then I can't help you. Just because there is some trope of "do the crime, do the time" does not equal "once you do the time, you've paid for the crime". I'm sure you would like that to be the case, but there are other factors involved with sentencing and that is the restorative justice aspect (fines, fees, restitution, etc).

Just what do you think RESTITUTION means? Why was it imposed? Is it not part of the sentence or penalty? If they took away those aspects of the sentence, I garuntee that the prison time would be longer, but since that has a decreasing benefit the longer it is, there are other "penalties" that accompany prison time which are imposed upon a felon/convict.

Would you rather have a 4 year sentence with zero fines/fees/restitution or a 2 year sentence with a total of $2500?

Keeping someone in jail that extra 4 years would probably be less helpful than doing 2 years and then having the monetary sentence imposed on them. They are free to pay these fees immediately at sentencing, so IDK why this is a problem any more than the prison time. It isn't like they are saying that the fines/fees can ONLY be paid with money earned once the felon is released - the only reason that might be the case is if all the money the felon has is from ill-gotten gains (like Madoff).

So if Madoff were somehow to serve his time, but hadn't paid any restitution or fees, do you think he should be allowed to vote when he gets out?

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

** edit - The change in law would allow for the restoration of voting rights of over 1.6 million felons - which is why this could swing the vote so much. I'm not sure how the metrics change with the law, but that 1.6 million would not have been legible before the ballot/law was passed.

How about some balance to the report? Fact: Almost every state allows ex-felons to vote Some have an automatic restoration of rights after the person's sentence is finished.

Here's the list of states that allow felons to vote after they've finished their term of imprisonment and completed other processes:
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Idaho
Kansas
Louisiana
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Nevada
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Oklahoma
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Washington
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Notice that Florida's on this list because it was made after last November. Maine and Vermont allow them to vote from prison. Only a few say that the allowance must come from the governor's office.

Bottom line: It's the same policy as used by most states. Ex-felons have been voting in elections for decades.

Balance. WTF are you talking about, BALANCE. Balance of what? My posting was specifically about Florida. I have no duty to report on any other state because YOU want "BALANCE". Write your own article if you feel something isn't covered. Did other states suddenly change any laws? Any of them major swing states? I probably wouldn't have written a thread if this was Wyoming or Delaware as they are much smaller populations and there wouldn't be as much interest, but I woudl still have the same opinion.

The point of the thread is because FL is a major swing state in the presidential election and the new law could massively change the "demographics" of the voters because the dems are not looking for a new group of supporters - NOTHING LESS or more. I wrote that Fl has previously allowed ex felons to vote but this new law changes the metric on who gets their rights restored - THAT is the issue.

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

Probably won't make much difference in the long run because in the long run, the "Democrats" will eliminate the Electoral College which will mean the cities will determine the outcomes of elections making voting virtually useless.

Well with the history of the certain states dictating the election, the college should be eliminated. They gave America one stupid republican president and then their next one was Trump, a immoral incoherent idiot.

People should be scared about the next republican president..probably be a severely brain damaged individual with the mindset of an infant.

posted on Apr, 17 2019 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I was going to do with thread on this but what the hell here you go .

This could come back to bite the Democrats in the a$$.

A longtime friend of mine‘s son just got out of Eddyville penitentiary. He bounced around in a few other prisons. So when I asked he told me the inmates overwhelmingly support trump .

Here’s an article on George Papadopoulos that seems to reinforce that statement .

George Papadopoulos, the former Trump campaign aide who was jailed for lying to the FBI, has told Sky News he was treated as a "political celebrity" in prison and was warmly welcomed by Trump-supporting inmates.

In November 2018, the 31-year-old admitted lying to investigators and was sentenced to two weeks at a minimum-security federal facility in rural central Wisconsin.

"Most of them support the president including most of the guards there and I guess the inmates saw me as a bit of a political celebrity…I was in there with doctors, lawyers and businessmen," he said.

news.sky.com...
edit on 17-4-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-4-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Balance. WTF are you talking about, BALANCE. Balance of what?

Florida's laws are similar to the laws of most other states. Felons aren't a significant portion of the voters of any state.

The point of the thread is because FL is a major swing state in the presidential election and the new law could massively change the "demographics" of the voters because the dems are not looking for a new group of supporters - NOTHING LESS or more. I wrote that Fl has previously allowed ex felons to vote but this new law changes the metric on who gets their rights restored - THAT is the issue.

Also, you're assuming they will vote Democrat.

But think about the attitudes that form in prison and the people in prison. I don't think many felons are tree-hugging, gun-protesting liberals (I could be wrong but I suspect this is true) who can't wait to vote for Elizabeth Warren. And I don't think giving them a vote is going to turn them Democrat.

posted on Apr, 27 2019 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Just what do you think RESTITUTION means?

It means someone is going to get some extra walkie talkies this next year with the money I'm taking from you. I'm making you pay RESTITUTION to fill my city or town coffers while at the same time, keeping you in the system so you'll keep doing the crime and the time and more RESTITUTION so I can have more of your hard earned money. Truth is... You're scum of the earth and you shouldn't be be in society because once you've been in jail, no one wants you no matter what your backstory is, no matter what you learned by being in prison, no matter how much you don't want to go back. I'm going to take every last cent from you, tax you to death until you either go back into the system or check out because I'm making life for you impossible. Besides... Keeping you in prison, well, I get kick backs from the business ran crooks that need all those tax dollars that houses you in that there prison. Prison isn't justice anymore... It's a place of business.

So, how did I do?

Guess that's why being a cop wasn't something I stuck with... I'm a hell of alot more compassionate than that. If you do something that warrants such an endless cycle, then you shouldn't be allowed out of prison. There are some things people do that are wrong/bad enough that they shouldn't be let go. Those that didn't do such horrible things and get out of prison shouldn't be taxed and beat down to death because they can't afford it.

But hey... It's ok for the Rich and Famous to do whatever they want and pay a pretty nice sum of money and walk away scott free. Matter of fact, we even revel in the sight of these people. We glorify them. If it weren't for the money they have, they would hardly be role models and 'too upstanding to be in prison'.

So as you said:

If you can't understand that there is more than one aspect of the sentencing then I can't help you.

Me thinks this fits more in my post than yours, aye?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join