It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old files appearing in download folder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Could someone please explain to me how files which I have filed away into their respective subject matter folders, mysteriously suddenly appear in my general download folder. I've noticed this has been going on for some time now.

Everything I download is downloaded into a dedicated download folder for the purpose of downloading it. From there I put it in its respective subject matter folder. I DO NOT use the libraries because there is just to much stuffing around with them. I find it quicker and easier to download everything to a central download folder and than distribute it from there to its subject matter folder after getting my purpose of downloading it.

Just now I found a 911 file in this folder yet I have not visited my 911 subject matter folder for several months. How could this be??????

In recent times I have had to do a complete clean reinstall of windows 7 so technically any malware and viris that has caused this problem for the last couple of years, should not be in the computer however something is taking files out of one folder placing it in another???????????? I was putting it down to some security/malwyre/viris program but i could not isolate it. I no longer run cleaners and malware other than Malwayre bytes, superanti spyware, CC, adwcleaner, and farbar occasionally. I have not run them for a week or more but I've just noticed this 911 file appearing in my download file.??

I run windows 7, with Microsoft_Office_2007_Enterprise_Edition_2007. Apart from that my computer functions normally. I have Updates set to automatic.

Any help appreciated. thanks

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
1) Going back to a restore point before
2) Running checkdisk or scandisk
3) Infiltration
4) Ghosts
In that order
Also , some strange things happens after Window's Automagic Updates.
Its a nothing
Unless , this continues
Then , DO RUN A DISK CHECK

edit on 4/14/19 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I honestly doen't even know where to start there...

Windows 7 had so many file sharing, file association, file indexing and file transfer problems that I believe they had to bring the Windows 98 designer back to make Windows 8.

I do remember the files issue on mine.

When you reinstall are you doing the 48573957348573984573 updates?

Because they had a ton of file issues that the updates supposedly took care of.

I'm generally a little good at Windows problems but the only time I worked with Windows 7 it was a laptop that so frustrated me that one day I threw it out of the car doing 85 into a canyon and just went with a newer OS.

Hopefully someone else here can chime in.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Does not fit the MO if malware or a hack. A hack possibly if they are rooting around in your system reading files but to move them and expose themselves... That's not likely.

This guy from 2011 left with no solution.
answers.microsoft.com...

shadow copy errors
any type of file sync program or instant backup.
user error
somebody else.
cosmic wind.

I guess start with the fundamentals. Run a system file check.
open CMD as administrator
sfc /scannow

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: staple
Does not fit the MO if malware or a hack. A hack possibly if they are rooting around in your system reading files but to move them and expose themselves... That's not likely.

This guy from 2011 left with no solution.
answers.microsoft.com...

shadow copy errors
any type of file sync program or instant backup.
user error
somebody else.
cosmic wind.

I guess start with the fundamentals. Run a system file check.
open CMD as administrator
sfc /scannow

When I run sfc /scannow it usually says it "found and fixed 'x' issues but some issued could not be fixed."

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 07:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Older files that were downloaded stay as a reference in downloads.....if you've moved them....there should still be original in there...

Adversly? I've seen what you see....deleted it from DOWNLOADS.....and in turn, once deleted from there....it deleted all the copies which appeared to be shortcuts to original.

Don't know for sure....but happened to me. Tablet, phone and p.c. Somehow all those in downloads were the source file I placed link on in separate folders.

Good luck

posted on Apr, 16 2019 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Are you dragging & dropping to another drive? Possible your just copying sometimes and not moving the files.

join