It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Curiosity Rover Sol 2375

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Here is a quick and dirty panorama of Mount Sharp from Sol 2375. It was made with bayer MastCam images so please excuse the color and resolution of the image.

Full size image here on flickr.

If anyone wants to post other images of Sol 2375 in this thread go for it. I will try and update this thread with more images from Sol 2375 soon.

ETA - Sol 2375 images of hole drilled on Sol 2370. Seems to have drilled through a lighter colored layer.

Full Size

Full Size

edit on 13-4-2019 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Some Martian is going to be pretty upset when they see all the holes we drilled
in their back yard.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Maybe they will take up golfing. I bet you can hit a golf ball a long way on Mars, since it has less gravity and thinner air

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Cool images. A bit disappointing that they release bayered images so often instead of normal jpegs. Why that might be?

BTW, theese seem to be clay-bearing minerals, light-coloured and light-weight. The drilling process made the whole slab rise a bit.

www.slashgear.com...

One of the missions that the rover has been gearing up for is the very first drilling sample gathering to be conducted on what has been called the “clay-bearing unit.” That is a large rock that is also called “Aberlady.” The announcement marks the first time that curiosity has drilled into this area.

edit on 14-4-2019 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: wildespace

Thanks for posting that, very cool

On Sol 2302 MSL drove onto the clay-bearing unit. There is a large site the rover is exploring called Glen Torridon.

Glen Torridon, Scotland has primitive life fossils in the fine layers of a clay unit. Coincidence or is that why it was named Glen Torridon on Mars. I think the use of the bayer images is related to there possibly being fossils in the area. Just a crazy tinfoil theory, but you asked

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace
BTW, theese seem to be clay-bearing minerals, light-coloured and light-weight. The drilling process made the whole slab rise a bit.

I'm no geologist but I have some experience working with rock and stone (worked with a stone mason for a few years), to my eye this would appear to be, as you say, a slab, though the damage left by the drill bit would suggest that the drill bit went out the other side of the thin slab, forcing it to lift up a little...

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars
a reply to: wildespace

Thanks for posting that, very cool

On Sol 2302 MSL drove onto the clay-bearing unit. There is a large site the rover is exploring called Glen Torridon.

Glen Torridon, Scotland has primitive life fossils in the fine layers of a clay unit. Coincidence or is that why it was named Glen Torridon on Mars. I think the use of the bayer images is related to there possibly being fossils in the area. Just a crazy tinfoil theory, but you asked

I've been fossil hunting in Glen Torridon (not the one on Mars), and came away empty handed (I saw some fossils but they were in larger rocks and didn't want to chisel them out, I'm no vandal). I didn't realise it had a namesake on mars, that is curious...
edit on 14/4/19 by djz3ro because: recycling a double post...

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I was curious about the size of that rock because of the way it lifted (as seen in the gif posted above). According to Wikipedia, "The diameter of the hole in a rock after drilling is 1.6 cm (0.63 in) and up to 5 cm (2.0 in) deep."
Pictures are deceiving

new topics

top topics

join