It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country style ribs marinated in greek yogurt. Grilled

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
If you have never done it like this i recommend it.

fantastic

first grilling of the season with the new grill

edit on 13-4-2019 by TinySickTears because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Now you just need a smoker 😜

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Where'd you come up with trying yogurt?

I'll eat anything, but this just seems odd and contradictory.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I've never tried marinating in Yogurt but my guess it is like marinating chicken in buttermilk which makes it more juicy n tender. Marinating using yogurt is common in making Tandoori Chicken.

If someone would help me on how to post pictures I can explain how to make Brazilian BBQ which is my favorite way of making ribs. Kinda something in-between reg grilling and smoking. Plus I can explain how to convert a gas grill into a charcoal one. A trick I picked up in Brazil.

Right now I'm using Imgur which for whatever reason doesn't seem to be compatible with this website. This is how they come out.

Can anyone give me a clue?

Denny

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Marinating in yogurt is done in the Mediterranean and India off the top of my head.

The acid and calcium are believed to help tenderize the meat.

It also adds some wonderful flavor and char.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I'll have to take your word for it, yogurt doesn't have much flavor by itself. So I don't know how much flavor it could add to meat.

I haven't heard of it but I'm open to try it.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Country style ribs marinated in greek yogurt.

Absolutely freggin disgusting.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Sounds like a great idea....and those ribs look delicious!!!!!

I bet marinating chicken would be interesting as well, even if you ended up doing it in the *gasp* oven!!!

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

Sounds like a great idea....and those ribs look delicious!!!!!

I bet marinating chicken would be interesting as well, even if you ended up doing it in the *gasp* oven!!!

You could do a shawarma twist.

Marinade in Greek yogurt and lemon zest.

Then do cumin, garlic, turmeric, peprika, black pepper, cinnamon.... Sear in cast iron then throw in the oven.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   

was listening to a podcast and they were talking about getting barbecue in KC that was marinated in greek yogurt and raved about how awesome it was so i figured i would try

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:37 PM
link   

a reply to: CriticalStinker

I'll have to take your word for it, yogurt doesn't have much flavor by itself. So I don't know how much flavor it could add to meat.

I haven't heard of it but I'm open to try it.

not about flavor.

the enzymes in the yogurt help to break down and tenderize the meat.

marinated overnight in the yogurt and splash of lemon juice and cilantro.

before you put it on the grill there is just the slightest layer of yogurt left. like a film. i get the rest off.

salt and pepper on top of that.

the yogurt chars the outside on high heat then drop the heat to cook the inside and at the end hit it with the sauce and crank the heat again

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Country style ribs marinated in greek yogurt.

Absolutely freggin disgusting.

have you had it?

why is it disgusting?

it gives it zero flavor at all and gives it an awesome char and the meat is super tender.

super tender ribs with a great char on the outside is disgusting?

if you say so

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Yeah, I'd think the yogurt has a two fold effect; one to tenderize with subtle flavor as a marinade and the other to add a noticable char. The char can be deceiving at first glance though because it's not the same type, consistency, and flavor of charred fat on the edges of a butchered piece of meat.

Sous-vide is a method of cooking in which food is placed in a plastic pouch or a glass jar and cooked in a water bath for longer than usual cooking times at an accurately regulated temperature. The temperature is much lower than usually used for cooking, typically around 55 to 60 °C for meat, higher for vegetables.

I wanted to mention this for discussion although I've never tried to use it before grilling. I'd imagine that you'd have to grill it on embers with more heat and smoke but no flame covered for a short amount of time or else you'd lose the sous vide effect on meat tenderness and juicyness.

The idea is that pre-cooking it this way without changing the fundamental make up of the muscle and fat tissues with higher temperates while trapping 100% of its moisture.. (run on) ..makes for amazingly juicy and tender meat that only requires a flash cooking for a brief time to serve. It's used with fried chicken by people and a restaurant chain. Possibly Zaxby's or Chick Fil-A, I forgot where I'd read it.
edit on 4/13/2019 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: r0xor

I wanted to mention this for discussion although I've never tried to use it before grilling. I'd imagine that you'd have to grill it on embers with more heat and smoke but no flame covered for a short amount of time or else you'd lose the sous vide effect on meat tenderness and juicyness.

I've done it several times, both with sous-vide and smoking first.

If you're using a one pound cut you want to get 10-20 degrees from desired final temp and stop your slow cooking and let rest.

You then put it over intense heat to get a quick sear and lock in the juice. Then rest again.

The technique is called reverse searing and it's the only way I do big steaks now... The results are perfect.

Edit: hardwood lump charcoal is what I use... It gets up to 1400 degrees.
edit on 13-4-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 08:24 PM
link   

That looks good. I'm smoking ribs tomorrow for my birthday.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

That looks good. I'm smoking ribs tomorrow for my birthday.

Beef or pork?

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 10:00 PM
link   

WOW!...this sounds really good!!

I'm going to have to try this!

I've had 'Tandoori' chicken over in Asia which is supposedly marinated in yogurt, but I don't think it looked as good as yours does.

Thanks!!

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Looks good! Although grilling doesn't have a season, it's year round! Here in the Colorado Rockies, we grill year round. Blizzard grilling just means something that cooks on the grill quicker, chicken, sausage, hot dogs, burgers. LOL

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: MaMaa

Hear Hear!!

posted on Apr, 14 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Ummm...sounds delicious...I’ll be right over...and bring the libations...

Damn...I’m a day late...

Walks away with head down...drooling...

YouSir

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join