It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Church Blames the 1960's for Priest Sexual Abuse Scandals!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
www.yahoo.com...

Former Pope Benedict has blamed the Catholic Church's sexual abuse scandal on the effects of the sexual revolution of the 1960s, homosexual cliques in seminaries and what he called a general collapse in morality.

I guess when you don't have anyone else to blame, you start blaming an entire decade.
Sick, just sick.

If he thinks that abuses didn't occur prior to 1960's, he's crazy. History has shown us that those in power sometimes, maybe oftentimes tend to abuse it. We are still discovering horrors that the church hid from the turn of the century. Just look up Magdalene laundries. Maybe things were even worse back then since women had no say and there wasn't internet to spread it.

There has been two truths, the church had/has pedophiles and they protected them for a long time. The church
likes to place blame everywhere but on the church and their leadership. AND they are still doing it.
No wonder membership is down everywhere. I had to laugh. The other day there was a Catholic church here that needed money.
They did not show a single priest or man, they only showed old nuns asking for money!

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

I just don't know what to say to that. He is 91 years old maybe that has something to do with it?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Why should anyone listen to anything coming out of this false Prophets mouth?

www.mintpressnews.com...

Pope Francis’ Dark Past As Agent of U.S.-Backed Argentine Military Junta

Murder, torture and “disappearances” were commonplace under the military dictatorship that gripped Argentina in the 1970s. Pope Francis, despite being hailed as a “progressive” figure today, was supportive of the Argentine junta, even aiding in some of the atrocities it carried out.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

Oops wrong Criminal - ahhh Rat-Singer, the 2 faced Grand Inquisitor who became Pope

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

There was a saying when I was young *children should be seen and not

heard*

That I would say gave licence to pedophiles and perverts and priests...

That and the 'cloth' was all the protection that they needed to cover

up their evil deeds.

My personal opinion about it having been so rife in the church is that

it wasa 'perk' that went with the job, and they were in a position

where they were heldin high esteem and therefor never sinned.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The only thing you can do is leave the church if you're Catholic. It's obviously been compromised and there are plenty of other Christian denominations that are not filled with scandals and sexual allegations.

It just goes to show you that putting on some fancy clothes and giving yourself a title doesn't change anything. However, that won't change the fact that people are just too reluctant to question their own religion or denomination.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

There was a saying when I was young *children should be seen and not

heard*

That I would say gave licence to pedophiles and perverts and priests...

That and the 'cloth' was all the protection that they needed to cover

up their evil deeds.

My personal opinion about it having been so rife in the church is that

it wasa 'perk' that went with the job, and they were in a position

where they were heldin high esteem and therefor never sinned.

Or, rather, if they did sin all they had to do was ask for forgiveness, and it was given and they would be cleansed.
edit on 14CDT11America/Chicago004111130 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   
It was a single book from the late 50's that started the sexual revolution.

Look up "Stranger in a Strange land" by Robert Heinlein.

if you look up the history of this book you will see the truth.

IF Robert had so wanted, he could have been like L Ron Hubbard, but he did not buy into that crap, nor wanted sex with groupies.

Hienlein also wrote "Starship Troopers" which many of you may have seen the movies.

When the book was first submitted it was rejected and had to be rewritten, after Robert passed away his wife restored the book to original form, so there are actually two versions of this book out there, the books before 1990 are not the whole story.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

Cool, I'll check it out, sounds like an interesting read.

BTW, I've read and watched a lot of stuff on L Ron Hubbard... how.... what.. everything about his story is
just nuts.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Jeeezus tits people. Church is nothing more than a country club where like minded peeps go to interact with other like minded peeps so they can get a warm fuzzy about themselves. That and network.

ETA.....AND LAUNDER MONEY. almost forgot that.

A true person of God gives thanks for waking up....their spouse,kids and grandkids. And above all for making beer. Praise you Oh Lord.....king of hops and barley!.
edit on 11-4-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
EXTREMELY misleading headline qualifies as Fake News. Benedict quit. He is not the Pope. He has NO STANDING in the Catholic Church. For him to speak out like this is a huge breach of protocol. He said he retired to live a life of contemplation and prayer because the role of Pope was too demanding for him. Apparently he forgot. I imagine the real Pope and the church leadership is thoroughly pissed at him. This is not the "Catholic Church" speaking here. It's one guy.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

This is not the "Catholic Church" speaking here. It's one guy.

Isn't that how it normally goes?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   
simple math

She Society looks down at the gays + priest are not allowed to marry = gays become priests.

If you like your gay sex young, one becomes a priest or a teacher...

Some just hate Catholics so they pound that hole instead of looking for all the teachers that cross the line

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: schuyler

This is not the "Catholic Church" speaking here. It's one guy.

Isn't that how it normally goes?

No. If the Pope speaks, he speaks as head of the Church. It's not personal opinion; it's policy. Within the hierarchy, you support the Pope or suffer the consequences. Benedict abdicated his position of authority. He quit. He does not speak for the Church. As an American example of this, take Jimmy Carter. He has not been president for a very long while, but he still attempts to butt in on American policy issues, much to the chagrin of the current President(s). George Bush told Obama Carter was going to be his biggest problem because Carter was a pain in the butt. But no one takes Carter seriously. When he speaks, he speaks as a private citizen. Other countries know this, so when Carter speaks, no one takes that as an indication of American policy. They know better. So reacting to Benedict speaking as if he speaks for the entire Church is a mistake. The fact that he spoke at all is more shocking than what he said.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SocratesJohnson
simple math

She Society looks down at the gays + priest are not allowed to marry = gays become priests.

If you like your gay sex young, one becomes a priest or a teacher...

Some just hate Catholics so they pound that hole instead of looking for all the teachers that cross the line

So very true and worse, they don't read and actually understand the article or what Benedict has written. If you read between the lines you'll note that he's not just blaming a particular "decade", he blames, (by way of backhanded acknowledgement) the Vatican II Council and the churches misinterpretation of that Council. Orthodox Roman Catholics have long known that the implementation of the Vatican II Council reforms has been the utter downfall of the Church. Problem is............no one in the Vatican, not even Benedict who sat on the Vatican II Council can openly admit the horrendous errors of that Council.

But hey, whatever, pound away at the Catholics. Although, apparently, the "Baptists" are not immune from these problems.
www.christianitytoday.com...

Investigation by Fort Worth Star-Telegram finds 400 allegations against 168 leaders spanning almost 200 churches and institutions.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Pedophiles targeted the church as priests because they saw opportunity. It is as simple as that. People who liked to deceivingly sexually exploit woman targeted the church because they saw opportunity too.

The Catholic church denied the accusations because they feared that people would see it was a weakness so they actually wound up helping these kind of people. They messed up.

Finally they are starting to do the right thing, we should be commending them for finally doing what Jesus would be proud of? Yes. But people are attacking the church as soon as they admit they messed up, so evidently they were right to not admit their faults and not doing anything to fix the problem. Don't be slamming the churches when they finally try to fix what is wrong, they messed up.

Them blaming it on the sixties was not correct, this kind of stuff has been going on way longer than that.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

Yes the sex scandal doesn't just touch the Catholic church, but I do not see the Baptists, or ex-baptist heads blaming it on the 1990's etc...

www.npr.org...

Some things are not just immoral. They're also illegal. And what we've learned and I think needed to learn is that abuse is the kind of thing that can never be handled internally. It can never be minimized or brushed to the side. And so if nothing else I'm grateful that this has helped raise the awareness of the conversation.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Who believes or even listens to their excuses anymore?

There needs to be a full investigation and anyone who participated or turned a blind eye to these monstrous actions should be forced to tear down the institution brick by brick and assist society in building something of actual use upon the ruin.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Nuns taking their final vows are/or consider themselves the bride of Christ

and there have been many true stories of Priests with Nuns and I suppose

that justifies the religious angle .....

www.goodreads.com...

www.irishtimes.com...

www.amazon.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   
It's time for the Roman Empire to die, like it should have done 1600+/- years ago.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join