It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Julian Assange arrested at the Ecuadorian embassy in London.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: face23785

Indiscriminate leaking of classified material is not protected. He needs to face the consequences.

He's not a US citizen and wasn't on US soil.... So how does our laws apply to that?

The US rules the world, didnt you know?
What happened to Assange is a travesty to say the least.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: face23785
Throw the book at him. I have no sympathy for people who illegally leak classified information. He's not a "whistleblower." Whistleblowers expose wrongdoing. He indiscriminately leaked anything he could get his hands on, including information that put people's lives at risk. That's not protected by whistleblower laws. # this scumbag.

Once again he is not being charged with being a whistleblower, or leaking anything or publishing anything. Hes being charged with hacking for attempting to crack a password on a DoD classified computer network.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Exactly! He's just a nasty arrogant sociopath. Had he gone religious he'd be leading a death cult ..... He doesn't care about anyone but himself - and cannot accept that anything he says or does is wrong, regardless of the (deadly) consequences for others.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

originally posted by: gortex

He's not a "whistleblower." Whistleblowers expose wrongdoing.

Wikileaks is a conduit for whistle blowers and they did facilitate the release of information that showed wrongdoing by both the US and UK , the Pentagon Apache gunship footage being the most graphic of the evidence of wrongdoing.

Dirty little secrets exposed.

Agreed.
I see Assange as no different to any other journalist, receiving leaked information and publishing it.
If he is convicted of leaking confidential / secret information or espionage then no journalist is safe.
If Trump is actually behind this arrest of Assange through pressuring the UK and Ecuador govt's then I am totally against what he is doing - and it would actually be a REAL example of attacking the free press (as opposed to the made up BS examples that have been spouted by the likes of CNN).

Journalists are protected if they merely received the information. If they were involved in the theft, as is being alleged of Assange, that's not protected.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I bet we don't see anything and this just fades away .

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: PokeyJoe

Throw the book at him. I have no sympathy for people who illegally leak classified information. He's not a "whistleblower." Whistleblowers expose wrongdoing. He indiscriminately leaked anything he could get his hands on, including information that put people's lives at risk. That's not protected by whistleblower laws. # this scumbag.

Once again he is not being charged with being a whistleblower, or leaking anything or publishing anything. Hes being charged with hacking for attempting to crack a password on a DoD classified computer network.

Not sure where I said any of the charges had anything to do with whistleblowing. I was talking about the half-assed attempts to defend him as some kind of whistleblower. He's not.

link   

As if anyone from Russia will ever see the inside of a US courtroom or prison on these charges.

link   

Seriously? I guess we can throw out the charges against those Russians Mueller filed then.
Apples and oranges... But you can throw those out anyways considering Russia laughs when we ask for extradition of their citizens.

That's not how the law works bro.
Personally I think he falls under the protection of journalists. If he did assist in hacking, he will probably get in trouble... But if all he did was release information given to him for the interests of journalism... He's safe (assuming the laws get followed).

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Seriously? I guess we can throw out the charges against those Russians Mueller filed then.
Apples and oranges... But you can throw those out anyways considering Russia laughs when we ask for extradition of their citizens.

Personally I think he falls under the protection of journalists. If he did assist in hacking, he will probably get in trouble... But if all he did was release information given to him for the interests of journalism... He's safe (assuming the laws get followed).

Apples and oranges? Foreign nationals charged with crimes they allegedly committed outside the US. What's different?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Apples and oranges? Foreign nationals charged with crimes they allegedly committed outside the US. What's different?

Were they operating under the capacity of journalists? No.

that right there creates two completely different set of laws.

Also I was initially replying to your post of wanting him to get nailed to the wall for leaking classified information, which isn't illegal... He is being charged with attempting to hack into a US gov computer.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   

If Trump is actually behind this arrest of Assange through pressuring the UK and Ecuador govt's then I am totally against what he is doing - and it would actually be a REAL example of attacking the free press (as opposed to the made up BS examples that have been spouted by the likes of CNN).

Ecuador has created it's own problems, you can't blame that on Trump.

If you read the charges....

www.justice.gov...

It is a very minor charge of conspiracy and carries a small sentence.

There is waaaay more going on here than what meets the eye.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:19 AM
link   
a reply to: burntheships

Up to 5 years in prison.
It looks like all he did was speak to a leaker and encourage them.
How many journalists do the same?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Disregard, messed up my reply to, will repost
edit on 4/11/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Innocent until proven guilty. He will have the best attorney
money can buy. Honestly, he doesn't look too worried he
is winking and thumbs up in a few pictures.

The timing of this is most curious, and tells me something
is afoot. This is going to be a game changer in many ways,
and honestly this is best case scenario for Julian Assange.

And if he is indeed an asset of the CIA or another government,
this is still best case scenario.

Untold numbers of people who have served for good
have died and are now just a star on the wall.

That is how it is if your in the company, not many live
to see glory days. And if he is a free man of his own free
will then this is best case scenario for him also.

Imo of course.....

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Agreed, and those charges hardly justify his extraction. There is more to this, much more.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Up to 5 years in prison.
It looks like all he did was speak to a leaker and encourage them.
How many journalists do the same?

I'm hard pressed they're actually trying to prove he hacked anything... If he did, they would have to have someone testify, if he was advanced enough to get into the systems I'm sure he could cover his tracks.

But I think your assessment is closer to reality in what they're trying to prove, which would make it easier to charge him considering Manning is sitting in solitary for not playing ball on this. Even if Manning did cave, would one testimony be enough to prove without reasonable doubt?

Manning's first testimony was that he acted alone, so if Manning pulled a 180, wouldn't that hurt credibility of the claim?

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

What am I missing?

Assange's and Manning's motivations are completely different.

Manning had an axe to grind against the DOD machine. He was just digging up whatever he could get his hands on and throwing it out there...classified secrets, dirty laundry, he didn't care.

Assange was just a consumer, in it for himself (i.e. Wikileaks)

Manning isn't some BFF of Assange, he was just a tool Assange used to get what he wanted, one of many.

Assange wanted to expose the filthy underbelly of the establishment however he could, for his own ego and fame.

Assange doesn't give a crap about Manning, and Manning knows it.

Manning sits in the stockade because he allegedly won't testify against Assange, but he can't testify against Assange without exposing himself and his motivations even further. Could they give him some kind of immunity? Sure, probably, but for what? To get Assange on max 5 year (likely less charge)? So, they won't.

And lets face it, who is it who really wants Assange silenced, hmmmmm?????

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Thanks for elaborating for me. I'm trying to get a test done to see why my thinking level isn't where it needs to be... But they haven't come out with a 24andme yet.

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

faces up to five years in US prison if convicted on the charges of conspiracy to commit computer intrusion.

He's been in a voluntary prison for 7 years yet if he gets convicted of his crime he's looking at upto 5 years, is he stupid or is there more to it.
I'm gonna say he's not stupid.
BBC News

posted on Apr, 11 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: burntheships

This puts an end to John Podesta and his B.S. he
has been tweeting out for years, and the internet
trolls that have been spouting garbage about how
J.A.s extradition to the U.S. will be the end of Trump.

I was really curious of what might become of Assange
after the Mueller report was finished and the S.C.
investigation was shuttered. Well true to form
Trump does not disappoint, we didn't have to wait
long. The DOJ indictment is here:

www.justice.gov...

Max 5 years, J.A. wont see that if any time at all.

There is obviously something we are not being told,
and from the looks of the last three weeks its going
to be best case scenario, unless of course your a
Democrat and were waiting for Trump to go to jail.

This makes sense. The timing with the end of the Mueller investigation and the pending investigations of those involved in the Russia hoax is very interesting.

I really, really hope that they question him about what he knows about Seth Rich.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join