It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solo world record flight gets underway

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Taking off from Kansas, the Global Flyer (with its three hulls and 13 fuel tanks) plans to circle the globe in 80 hours carrying four times its own weight in fuel

www.newscientist.com
To claim the record, the aeroplane must travel a total of 36,787 km in fewer than 80 hours. The trimaran-like design weighs 9979 kilograms fully loaded and fuelled, and has an impressive wingspan of 34.7 m.

Pilot Steve Fossett, who already holds dozens of world records for endurance voyages in planes, boats and balloons, plans to stay awake for the entire trip, mainly to manage the distribution of fuel inside the aircraft to keep it balanced. He will, however, be able to take brief naps thanks to an onboard autopilot.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

That's great, but doesn't the space shuttle circle the earth like
once every 90 minutes? Err, so what's the point of this waste of
time and money then?

[edit on 2-3-2005 by warthog911]

[edit on 2-3-2005 by warthog911]

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Might want to ask why people climb mountains too.

Frankly I think it is kind of a cheap move when you are using an autopilot for a solo flight.

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
Frankly I think it is kind of a cheap move when you are using an autopilot for a solo flight.

Maybe for sleep and to stay focused on details. I'm sure if there was a glitch, Steve would turn off the autopilot and deal with it.

Real time link.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'
edit: link

[edit on 2-3-2005 by sanctum]

join