It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universal healthcare is indentured servitude and a weapon

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Frankly, I don't even care enough about having free healthcare to argue about it too much. Just give me the legal framework to go to a Kevorkian drive thru if I get too sick to keep having what I consider to be a decent quality of life and we'll call it even. I don't personally even want to lay in bed for five years dying with nurses poking me and taking my temperature and blood pressure. Don't extort me. Don't extort other people. Don't force people to lead miserable lives when they decide they're done.

I have my own healthcare plan that solves every problem. Mine doesn't have "the public option". It has "The Kevorkian option". Putting people to sleep can't be much more complicated than putting dogs to sleep and that doesn't cost much so I don't see any reason why someone who is done with life can't have themselves Kevorkianed for a hundred bucks.

"Oh? I have cancer you say? Well, OK. I'm gonna go and have myself a steak and then go put myself to sleep. Been nice knowing you"

It's 2019 and we haven't figured this out yet?

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 07:10 AM
link   
Yeah, our current healthcare system is a 100% inheritance tax on the poor and middle class. It’s really good at sucking out all the money you made and saved up from your whole life in your final days. Between that and ludicrous funeral costs they are very good at leaving your family with almost nothing when you die, except maybe debt. It’s the capitalist version of estate tax.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 08:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

The care one receives in a emergency room doesn't even come close to what is provided thru Medicaid. Ya it will treat the asthmatic once the attack starts. It will treat the diabetic in crisis. Slap a splint on a broken ankle. That's not a replacement for the regular visits to a doctor that knows you and has your medical records in front of you so he can monitor your asthma or whatever. The physical therapy one might need after a broken ankle or other injury to ensure you regain as much function as possible. It does nothing to soften the bite of $100 plus dollar inhalers or the monthly insulin Bill that could be more than I've ever earned in a month.
First they are wrong about Medicaid covering every poor person. I went close to a year after my husband passed with absolutely no income. Its hard to get on disability even if you have impeccable medical records. Harder still if those records are spread out amount many doctors in many geographical areas with long lapses of time between them. My kids were grown, and I wasn't officially considered disabled. Didn't matter that I lost my only source of income Medicaid wasn't gonna help. I finally managed to get social security to let their doctor evaluate me and laughed at their doctor when he told me that I really needed to get myself to a doctor soon. I still had absolutely no income and was now splitting living expenses with two of my sons. Seliing whatever I could to cover my share. I didn't bother.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

Right, I hadn't even gotten into that part. Emergency rooms are meant for emergencies. They are not equipped to handle long term care, and as such even if you can get treatment for something once you're in crisis mode they are completely unable to help treat an ongoing condition.

As far as Medicaid and disability goes, as screwed up as it is, it's better to hire a lawyer to argue for you than to hire a doctor to give a proper medical opinion on the state of your condition and what you need.
edit on 13-4-2019 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

<< 6  7  8   >>

join