It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First time: Photo of black hole!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Goedhardt

That is the coolest , It's like a optical illusion if you stare into it it moves !

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is remarkable.

But I want the raw data.

I want the entire spectrum of light, the entire fields at which they took each photo to composite them, i want the size of the disc, hawking radiation, what is directly behind the black hole from our point of view and can we verify there is a time warp between it and whatever galaxy is behind it. ..

I want to know the instruments that were used, multiple telescopes in this case..

Why is science being dumb down for the masses?

Why aren't we captivated by rocket launches and the possibility of landing on Mars or the Mariana trench?

Science is becoming something bohemian when anti-vaxxers are letting their kids die and pictures of a blackhole is just a 'meh' event and the public gets a #ty image and no salient information.

According to the Q&A afterward the reveal, one of the scientists said it would 1.5 days at light speed to get from one side to the other, unless I misunderstood him.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: odzeandennz
This is remarkable.

But I want the raw data.

I want the entire spectrum of light, the entire fields at which they took each photo to composite them, i want the size of the disc, hawking radiation, what is directly behind the black hole from our point of view and can we verify there is a time warp between it and whatever galaxy is behind it. ..

I want to know the instruments that were used, multiple telescopes in this case..

Why is science being dumb down for the masses?

Why aren't we captivated by rocket launches and the possibility of landing on Mars or the Mariana trench?

Science is becoming something bohemian when anti-vaxxers are letting their kids die and pictures of a blackhole is just a 'meh' event and the public gets a #ty image and no salient information.

According to the Q&A afterward the reveal, one of the scientists said it would 1.5 days at light speed to get from one side to the other, unless I misunderstood him.

No you're right. We're essentially looking at shadow of light casted before we see the light.

If anyone else as interested as I am in what basically is a hole to either nothingness, or another universe, here's a good informative video.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Remarkable

Where the laws of nature as we know them go out the window and not even light can escape

Eerie isn't it?
edit on 4/10/2019 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Goedhardt
Black hole picture!

Scientists have obtained the first image of a black hole, using Event Horizon Telescope observations of the center of the galaxy M87.

Link: www.foxnews.com...

No, this is not a ‘yo mama is so fat,...’ joke!

I don’t know how to enbed a photo
Can anyone tell me how?

Bonus Link: news.harvard.edu...

While we're all in awe over this first ever picture, here's a little fun fact... The image we're seeing is an image of what M87 looked like 55 million years ago because that's how long it takes light to reach us from that region. That's just crazy, imagine what this black hole looks like now.

Same as it did then. Super-massive black holes like this one don't change much over billions of years, perhaps only growing a bit bigger. 55my is almost nothing in cosmic time scales.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

The more I look at that picture the spookier it gets there's something ominous about it .

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Anyone remember that movie from Disney "Black Hole"? Man was that cheesy, even back when it was new.

Maybe I should say that movie "sucked". LOL

This is very cool though. Just to think it takes radio telescopes from all around the world to combine the images into one, just so it can be seen. Incredible.
edit on 10-4-2019 by MrRCflying because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Good god, I opened the video and it sucked my whole house in!!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Good god, I opened the video and it sucked my whole house in!!

Look out!!! It is spreading!!!

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Anathros
So we finally get a glimpse of a black hole and we end up with a still image from the Lord of the Rings.

One ring to rule them all, anyone?

Type in image search: the one ring destroyed. The image isn't that much different than the one ring sitting in lava. Also looks a little like the eye of sauron.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl
I thought that you couldn't see a black hole. Doesn't it suck up everything around it, including light? I have always been under the impression that a black hole isn't something that can be seen. Now they're giving us something like a photo?

Technically you are correct. We cannot see the black hole itself, which is why there is only blackness in the center. What we Are seeing is the material surrounding the black hole which is being eaten by the black hole. But the material surrounds the black hole in an "accretion disk" shape/form, leaving a dark circle in the center, allowing us to "see" the black hole, or at least the shape of its outer perimeter.

If a black hole has nothing to eat, it remains completely invisible even by this indirect method. Perhaps other sensors could detect its magnetic forces, but visually it would just be blackness. Of course it would become very obvious if one were to aporoach our solar system. But its still at least a little spooky knowing they are out there, wandering around. I think even a small one could be the end of this star system.
edit on 4/10/2019 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

Don't they say there's a Black hole at the center of Galaxies including our own, Doesn't that mean we are all just circling the drain ?
edit on 4/10/2019 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

link to high res image

Nice, I messed around with the image a bit and got some pretty interesting results. By adjusting the color levels and hue slightly I was able to highlight the details hidden in the image. It appears there are some sort of lines indicating how space-time is being warped, it looks like we can see how the light from the back is being warped around the sides so we can see what's behind it.

Here's another pic where I adjusted the levels to try to highlight the details of the accretion disk around the black hole, which also had the effect of making the inner shadow more clearly defined, and shows us that the shadow does appear to be more egg shaped than circular. Standard theory says it should be circular so this could be telling us something.

edit on 10/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Like the Earth is circling the drain of the Sun?

In other words, no. Quite different.
edit on 4/10/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If a Black Hole is at the center of our galaxy It's feeding right ? Which would explain the spiral shapes of most galaxies correct ? Like the Black hole is a engine of some sort .

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

If a Black Hole is at the center of our galaxy It's feeding right ?

Yes and eventually it will consume the entire galaxy, it will just take a ridiculously long time.

Which would explain the spiral shapes of most galaxies correct ?

There are many different galaxies of many shapes and sizes, the spiral galaxy is only one type. From what I recall, it's still not fully understood exactly how the spiral arms form but I haven't researched this stuff in a while. I remember a really old conspiracy film about UFO's where this guy suggests the spiral shape has to do with the intense gravity around the black hole in the center of spiral galaxies, because gravity affects the flow of time and therefore affects the orbit of matter as it gets closer to the core, causing the spiral pattern to emerge. It always struck me as quite an ingenious idea actually.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

If a Black Hole is at the center of our galaxy It's feeding right ?

Not necessarily. But any matter with insufficient angular velocity relative to it will fall into it the same way comets occasionally fall into the Sun.

Which would explain the spiral shapes of most galaxies correct ?
No.

Like the Black hole is a engine of some sort .
No, just a very dense accumulation of matter. Like the Sun, only more so.

While most, if not all galaxies, seem to have black holes at their centers they are not bound by the gravity of that black hole. Our black hole, for example, is far too distant and not massive enough to keep us in orbit around it. The Sun orbits the center of mass of the entire Milky Way (which is way, way more massive than the black hole but does include it), there just happens to be a black hole there. I don't know why.

edit on 4/10/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   

There's already a thread on this

Here

Started yesterday.

edit on 4/10/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Not necessarily. But any matter with insufficient angular velocity relative to it will fall into it the same way comets occasionally fall into the Sun.

Well if you want to get really technical I believe orbiting bodies are constantly losing a very small amount of energy via the gravitational waves they emit, so even if there wasn't any dust or anything else to slow down our orbit over time, our planet will eventually fall into the Sun. Bodies with enough velocity may escape the solar system before being engulfed by the Sun, but eventually they will fall into a star or black hole, and eventually the only thing left will be black holes, until they fully evaporate.
edit on 10/4/2019 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

so even if there wasn't any dust or anything else to slow down our orbit over time, our planet will eventually fall into the Sun.
Nope. We won't fall into the Sun. The Sun will expand and engulf the Earth.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join