It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orwellian Hate Crime Database to Be Set Up For Thought Criminals in Michigan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Opinions are no longer duly, but “dually noted” in the state of Michigan. The state’s Attorney General is now working with the Department of Civil Rights to create a database for people who, in their opinion, are committing “hate and bias incidents that don’t rise to the level of a crime or civil infraction.” Yes, you read that correctly. And to make matters worse, these “arbiters of truth” have been linked to Google.

Source: 1/2

This “hate crimes unit” apparently comes on the advice of the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), which issued a report about a rise of extremism and hatred within the state of Michigan. This itself is more than ironic, since it was reported last year that the organization had to pay $3 million for falsely labeling the Quilliam Foundation as an example of “anti-Muslim extremism.”

It is important to remember that freedom of speech has never kept anyone free from consequence, but that statement is based on lawlessness. The definition of “hate speech” can be vague, but is otherwise defined as “speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground...” (Matal v. Tam, 2017).

For the most part, it's protected.

Some exceptions to our First Amendment that are handled on a case-by-case basis, include threats, obscenity, harassment, defamation, fraud, incitement, and speech integral to criminal conduct. You are always “free” to commit these acts, but it’s good to know when and how the law may intervene. After all, some sacrifice is integral to a civil society.

Michigan’s Attorney General also appears to have added the Anti-Defamation League as a consultant, another group of dubious repute that has a penchant for conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, among other tangential relationships between political opinion and violent actions.

The head of the Michigan’s Department of Civil Rights plans to have the database operating within two to three months. Other groups, such as Equality Michigan will be working with the Anti-Defamation League to establish reporting standards and procedures. How disputes will be handled is anyone's guess.

In my opinion, there is absolutely no need for this type of system. These organizations are attempting to combat what a person or group may not like or want to hear, by discriminating against the "opposing" person or group, in the form of listing them as a violator of standards set by “The Ministry of Truth.”

Absolutely incredible.

edit on 9-4-2019 by LurkPotato because: added

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LurkPotato

The SPLC is a left wing political agenda driven system.

I would say that they are a political terrorist organization.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Wow, so much wrong with this it's crazy. I wonder if there is a gene anomaly in a large percentage of the population that allows some virus to change the mental functionality in those people to something abherrant? Something that gives them a feeling of moral superiority while they beat down everybody else with differing opinions. It seems like liberals/progressives/sjws are possibly afflicted with this kind of disease.

It seems a lot like the infected ant controlled by the bacteria forcing it to the top leaf so the bird can eat it, crap it back out again, so the ants pick up the bacteria and go back to top leaf completing the cycle.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

You are now entering the twilight zone.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Well, y'know, ain't a one of us can make up our own minds 'bout stuff like that.

All we need to know is what they, whoever "they" is, want us to know.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
The thing is that determining that something is a type of hate speech is an opinion by the judge. I hate Figs and dates...does that mean I hate people from where they are grown? Someone could take that as meaning I am bias to Muslims....Oh crap, I live in Michigan, I better keep my mouth shut.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

You are now entering the twilight zone.

Sigh...no, it is entering the democrat zone. They truly seem to want to punish us for voting Trump into office.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

It's censorship.

If you're afraid to speak because you might be placed on some god-damned list, it's censorship.

And the 1st Amendment restricts government from applying censorship.

This is unconstitutional.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I am working in our State Capitol building in Lansing, Mi. Replacing all the HVAC equipment...

Today as we were leaving at 2 pm we could hear some boisterous voices coming from the floors below. We are working in the attic above the top floor... sounded like protesters....

I see your second link is dated yesterday and I wonder if that is what they were protesting.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

But... But... It's to protect us all from the bad people.

Think of the children, dammit!!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Sigh...no, it is entering the democrat zone. They truly seem to want to punish us for voting Trump into office.

You should be punished lol....OK, maybe not for voting him into office, but for being OK with the fact he is a delusional idiot and compulsive liar... when he does not have to lie... And Anybody that criticizes him gets punished, well via twitter lol

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Hate speech, is a commie made up bs term to label what the extreme left thinks isnt helpful to their retarded views as evil.
The retard left thinks boys can be girls even though this is obviously biologically and scientifically wrong.
Telling the truth and saying boys cant be girls and girls cant be boys is "HATE SPEECH" to these weirdos, even though it is 100% factually true...
Hhmmm, saying things that are observably true is hate speech...meaning that not agreeing with psychosis and indeed reenforcing it is now criminal..piss off with that!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:48 PM
link   

You are correct.
This is the rise of the thought police.
No law broken, Big Brother just doesn't like the way that you think.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Havent been around for a couple of years since my last ban, i think that was like 6 times or somthing...glad to see you are still here db!

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinner07
a reply to: CynConcepts

You should be punished lol....OK, maybe not for voting him into office, but for being OK with the fact he is a delusional idiot and compulsive liar... when he does not have to lie... And Anybody that criticizes him gets punished, well via twitter lol

Come now, we made up for it by making marijuana recreational and this is the thanks we get? Dem governor, dem senators, dem attorney general, and yes, the controversial dem congresswomen, Rashida Tlaib!

We are royally screwed. Since I can guess that none of their hate speech will be considered...only those they think are deplorable.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: highvein

The SPLC is a left wing political agenda driven system.

I would say that they are a political terrorist organization.

The SPLC is working with tech giants and the media to bilk rich liberals/progressives out of their money, while haphazardly marketing and promoting their ideology in return. The scales are backwards as minority demands outweigh anything the majority appear to want or need. They often succeed due to the perceived insensitivity of people or groups that work against them.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: LurkPotato
It is important to remember that freedom of speech has never kept anyone free from consequence, but that statement is based on lawlessness. The definition of “hate speech” can be vague, but is otherwise defined as “speech that demeans on the basis of race, ethnicity, gender, religion, age, disability, or any other similar ground...” (Matal v. Tam, 2017).

For the most part, it's protected.

Some exceptions to our First Amendment that are handled on a case-by-case basis, include threats, obscenity, harassment, defamation, fraud, incitement, and speech integral to criminal conduct. You are always “free” to commit these acts, but it’s good to know when and how the law may intervene. After all, some sacrifice is integral to a civil society.

Is it a violation of the AG's First Amendment right to keep the list? Or is it just really bad taste.

The statement "tangential relationships between political opinion and violent actions" may or may not be true. It seems like it could be a superstitious statement since many people speak with hate and never do any crimes.

As long as the AG doesn't make any arrest just for being on the list then it seems okay to me. I'm not sure if the list is "actionable intelligence". We are living the days of The Patriot Act where thought crimes are prosecuted and you may end up in Gitmo.

I think the way society should be is sticks and stones are enforced crimes. Calling someone names should not be prosecuted.

I guess the real question is the AG's First Amendment rights are violated if he keeps the list and is just having the list hate speech against people who want to speak hate speech.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
hate speech is bad and does affect communities in a bad way, I understand the freedom of speech but in every freedom there should be a limit and that is others rights, you cant just vomit what ever you want in the name of freedom of speech to express an opinion without taking into consideration others rights, that is unlimited freedom that has bad consequences in both short and long term which leads to diversion and endless conflict, I mean calm down everybody

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: LurkPotato

Michigan’s Attorney General also appears to have added the Anti-Defamation League as a consultant, another group of dubious repute that has a penchant for conflating anti-Zionism with anti-Semitism, among other tangential relationships between political opinion and violent actions.

It's funny, when it's anti-Zionism or anti-Semitism is considered hate speech that will lead to violent acts but if a Muslim does it the Muslim ends of in Gitmo for just saying or thinking bad thoughts. I once heard an Israel soldier justify shooting Arabs as, "what difference does it make they are just going to grow up and become terrorists."

We live in a World full of hate. Some people are chosen. Some people are not. Tribalism rules. It's as if Jesus never existed.

edit on 9-4-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Someday soon Americans will hate their own country not for what it was, but for what it has become.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join