It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Aunt and I Were Protected By The Second Today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Graysen

I'm the one on ATS who would just shoot the dog, toss it in the back of the truck, drive a few miles, and be done with it without batting an eye...

That reminds me of a few years ago now, when I was living on my grandparents property, raising Turkeys, when one day a neighbours dog came around and killed a few poults and attacked the mother hen.

My grandmother straight out told me to shoot the dog, then drive the body over to the neighbours property and drop it on the front porch!

Obviously, she was old school and grew up on a farm long before Australia's notorious gun regulations were enacted. I tried explaining to her that I just didn't think shooting the beloved neighbours pet was going to fly in this day and age... But there was no convincing her, it would have been the rightful thing to do and what a man would done, as far as she was concerned.

Crazy bloody old people.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
a reply to: chr0naut

Not when the battery was dead and the oil and filter needed changed.

I wonder where that round went?

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You don't dump them on the owner's property... your grandmother is wrong there. That draws needless attention to the situation. You drive out a few miles from the ranch into the sticks, drop the tailgate, and floor the gas. Problem negated. For the record, I may well be younger than you and I'm perfectly sane.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

LMAO!!! You delved into the Hollywood image of the OP shooting into the air, didn't you? Soft Earth is a wonderful, natural, organic backstop.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

LMAO!!! You delved into the Hollywood image of the OP shooting into the air, didn't you? Soft Earth is a wonderful, natural, organic backstop.

I now see that the OP fired it into the ground.

I didn't read that at the time because I was replying to an earlier post.

My question has been adequately answered, sorry for my confusion.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

This is good and all but,

A few neighbourhoods over emergency services were called to a scene where somebody has a bullet lodged in the top of their skull

🤪

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

After all the ricochets lasting some two and a half hours I caught the round in my teeth and it was as pristine as when it was loaded at the factory. Just like the one in the Warren Commission.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Surely, a dog would come off second in a competition with someone armed with a lawnmower?

YES! Finally someone who sees it like me! Chop that damn mutt up into tiny unrecognizable bits! RUn him over twice, just to be sure you didn't miss a big chunk!

Shooting into the ground near the dog would be an ignorant thing to do. No death, no blood and guts. Weak sauce.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Subaeruginosa

You don't dump them on the owner's property... your grandmother is wrong there. That draws needless attention to the situation.

Oh, I personally totally agree, she was completely wrong... lol.

But I guess that's just how it worked in her day... In her mind, if a dog comes onto your property and kills, or even threatens your livestock, then you shoot it and then drop the body off at the owners property, so they know what'll happen if they ever let their dogs run wild again.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
LMAO.
First, OP, you handled this very well.
We happen to be having a problem currently, with the neighbors dogs. He has so many, they are randomly showing up in our yard daily.
WE HAVENT DONE THIS, YET!
But his son, who lives down the road, told us to pump the pellet gun a few times, and let them have it. So they stay out of our yard.
We are considering it.

Side note: this is the same neighbor, who's dog a few years ago, killed almost all of my chickens. Everyone out here has dogs. 90% of us, keep control of our dogs. 100% of us should dangit.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
this is the same neighbor, who's dog a few years ago, killed almost all of my chickens.

See, this is something that confuses me. When a dog starts killing livestock, it's a lost cause and warrants being put down, PERIOD. I honestly thought that was common knowledge and standard practice everywhere that livestock is run and farm/ranch property is owned. The fact that a dog killed your chickens and continues to be a problem on your property honestly disturbs and disgusts me. It's an easily resolved problem and, at least where I'm from, an expected natural consequence for allowing your dogs to run and being a piss poor dog owner who doesn't respect your neighbors or their property.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Yeah, I completely agree.
BUT, there is the whole "neighbor" issue. He owns lots of land, that hubby and I both get to enjoy, with the grandkids. It was a dance.
He paid for the chickens, and we never saw that particular dog loose again. I put up 5 ft dog fence around the chickens I have now. And we did tell him, that twice is a dead dog. And he agreed.
But I really won't feel bad, stinging a dog butt, to let them know that they can't be in our yard. He has a pheasant hunt property. They are trained to go after birds. Just not on my property, so bb butt shot.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Reminds me of a time I was out for a run, and some pint sized dog started nipping at my heels. I think what ever, just gotta pick up the pace to double time for about 1/4 mile. Little fella was still with me and being even more aggressive, gotta give him credit for being in shape. Then it actively started biting at my heels... so that meant I let it have it... my heel that is. Poor fella tumbled for a good 2 yards and gave up.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
Dude. Prepare for the flames of the next flamewar with you as a target.

ATSers and Americans in general love their pets. Put down the 'owner' (human companion) of the dog; but do not dare to endanger a blessed pet. Americans hate their fellow humans, but they love animals.

True. I'm going to prove you right, because OP, now that dog is going to have a THING for loud or sudden noises. It will either make him skittish afraid all the time, which is just awful for the dog especially when his bad behavior isn't his fault; but even worse if he now responds in fear AGGRESSION.

So you may have just made the dog dangerous, if he wasn't already. If he was, you may have just made it 1,000 times worse.

The owner is the one who should be shocked into good behavior (taking care of his dog which includes socialization and basic obedience training), not the poor dog. Bad. Bad OP.

P.s. Did you REALLY need to fire a gun to control the situation? I susoect you were just looking for an excuse to fire your gun and feel like a badass.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 11:52 PM
link   
To me personally I think this was an over reaction, or just an excuse to fire your weapon and make a good story. Our neighbors dog is very excitable, runs over anytime we leave the house if she’s outside. Knowing the dog and knowing the dog is no threat I’ve never felt the need to fire a shot to scare it. I think that stories like this with a misleading title make us as gun owners look somewhat unstable. Just my two cents.

Ps. Just noticed the comment above. So I’m not the only one.
edit on 9-4-2019 by Somethingsamiss because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: KansasGirl

originally posted by: Graysen
Dude. Prepare for the flames of the next flamewar with you as a target.

ATSers and Americans in general love their pets. Put down the 'owner' (human companion) of the dog; but do not dare to endanger a blessed pet. Americans hate their fellow humans, but they love animals.

True. I'm going to prove you right, because OP, now that dog is going to have a THING for loud or sudden noises. It will either make him skittish afraid all the time, which is just awful for the dog especially when his bad behavior isn't his fault; but even worse if he now responds in fear AGGRESSION.

How did you come to that conclusion?
Consider that the shock of a loud noise hasn't made him an unstable wreck or turned him into a drooling killer. It just stopped rough play with a stranger.
Some people say it's the owner's fault and the poor doggy is innocent. That may be true but it doesn't save the chickens or sheep. The famiy put a few mama llamas in with the sheep and the idiot neighbor's semi-feral mutt went after the sheep. Mama llama doesn't like doggies trying to play rough with her babies. After she kicked him senseless, she did that stiff-legged stomp on him that llamas do. Problem solved. No human intervention, no scary gunfire, just a really flat mutt.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss
To me personally I think this was an over reaction, or just an excuse to fire your weapon and make a good story. Our neighbors dog is very excitable, runs over anytime we leave the house if she’s outside. Knowing the dog and knowing the dog is no threat I’ve never felt the need to fire a shot to scare it. I think that stories like this with a misleading title make us as gun owners look somewhat unstable. Just my two cents.

Ps. Just noticed the comment above. So I’m not the only one.

I totally get that, personally.

I was thinking to myself about this thread that when my mother was battling cancer, I used to move her out to a chaise-lounge in the back yard. We had a waist-high cinderblock fence (very common in the desert, due to high winds). Occasionally a wild-ish dog would jump the fence looking for trash or dog food and bare it's teeth at my mother. She had a compromised immune system, and a serious scratch could mean a trip to the hospital in the big city. I don't have a specific memory, but I'm sure I popped off a round or two, back in the day.

Those dogs were not neighborhood pets, and had definitely not had their shots...

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
You should consider submitting this story about using your rights from the 2nd to American Rifleman.
edit on 4/10/2019 by roadgravel because: typo

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I don't need to fire a gunpowder firearm at the neighborhood Cujo.

My cub scouts have both gotten daisy pump-action BB guns. There is a dog, a BIG one, that terrorizes them at their bus-stop and when they play; it will often come into our yard and growl.

The boys keep one BB gun just inside the side-door to the barn, and the other gun just inside the back door. They know to only use one pump of the lever, which will only provide enough force to sting, not break the hide of a shaggy dog. That mean dog doesn't come around much any more. When they jump up and run for the barn or back door, the dog leaves lickety-schist.

Three pumps of the gun WILL kill a rabbit, as the cubs demonstrated after Christmas, resulting in fried rabbit over rice...

One pump isn't loud enough for the neighbors or a passing squad-car to even notice, and the dog comes around a lot less.

posted on Apr, 10 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Actually my first thought was to shoot the dog. Keep in mind this is a full grown bloodhound who was planting his front paws on my shoulders, open mouthed at my face and I am six foot tall and 195 pounds. Which made the dog about 5 foot and maybe 120. I could have been knocked down and mauled had the dog chosen to do so. My Aunt is 5’5’ and about 120. My concern was for the dog to not “play” with her in the sam way.

That said, I took the option to frighten first before harm. And since he laid down after moving off and took some belly rubs later, I don’t think he was too traumatized. But his PTSD might kick in months from now and fail to protect his owners during a home invasion, I suppose.

Seriously, it is a cautionary tale to keep your pets where they belong because not everyone is kind and understanding enough to realize that a strange bloodhound isn’t a wild dog because...it’s a freaking bloodhound, it would follow its own scent trail back home if lost and wouldn’t have the speed to hunt down enough food to survive on its own for long. Could have just as easily been a pet forum thread, but I took a spin on it to demonstrate the Second is there for protection of others, in this particular case from an aggressive dog that didn’t take commands.

<< 1  2    4 >>

join