It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harris & Peterson on Borders and the Left/Right

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 02:47 AM
link   
These 3 gentleman are highly respected intellectuals, Harris and Peterson are more well known.

This is the very best discussion of the left verses right and the borders I have ever heard.
It makes the panels on CNN look like 4 year olds discussing the issues.

This video has so few views and yet the information on it is so critical, we aren't getting the discussion from the MSM or the politicians like this.
Whatever side you are on left/right/center take a few minutes and watch this, I know I learned something.

At the end on borders one of them says this just isn't about just mercy or just justice it's more intricate than that, yet two sides have formed around very tribal based identity politics.
edit on 9-4-2019 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 08:02 AM
link   
They should just authorize deadly force for border crossers. I know that’s extreme, but so is the radical left using the border to subvert our laws and import slave labor and illegal voters. Plus the amount of American lives lost due to the drugs and gang violence that comes from illegals is astounding. If something doesn’t change people will stop using words to combat this issue and will resort to action.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Again justice verses mercy, your method is harsh.
Peterson makes the point that empathy has the nature to blackmail us emotionally. For example you see young children suffering at the border....the alt-lefts reaction is just them in with there adult guardians. It is just not that simple, but we also don’t want to shoot their parents either.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Hence why the common refrain is "If we can save just one child ..." Then they bring in their poster child with the sob story.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue_Jay33

It's a shame these intellectuals don't really bring the biological nature of the human mind into the equation.
Peterson is the most guilty of completely ignoring the facts of nature. He goes on this connected analogy of borders from human skin, up to basically a country, yet stops there? If you go far enough you can easily take into account that planet earth itself has a shield protecting us humans, and everything on it. But that's another subject.

The one talking point I really liked, and probably the most important was at 10:17. That we are not ready for this age of information. The internet as much of a tool it is for good, has caused all sorts of ideologies, like minded individuals and thoughts to come together, for good and bad.

A prime example of what information, and what really happens in the world was back during the Vietnam war. Or even the American Civil war. The shock of actually seeing what a mess was going on in those theaters of war, caused huge uproar to those who weren't directly involved. And that was just through television, and photographs.

I think the internet has given us so much information it's enlightened us, but at the same time it's divided so many people and when you add phenomena like the google effect, it strengthens those beliefs and ideologies even more.
edit on 9-4-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Can you imagine AOC, Beto, and Booker debating these three it would be a intellectual wipe out.
The progressive left has very few smart people in there camp.

Instead all these strawman and false empathetic narratives.
I would like to see a staged debate of ideologies on the left from JImmy Dore, Tulsi Gabbard and Dennis Kucinich verses Jordan, Harris and maybe Ron Paul.

Now that would be epic.
And I suspect there might be some surprising agreements they reach together.
Clearly our very smartest people can no longer lead us, only those that can win at identity politics, and that is very bad for any type of democracy.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 05:43 PM
link   

I'm not so sure that they have no smart people as it were, but instead that they've substituted emotion for deep thought. And that's something these gentlemen touch on with their discussion of empathy.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   

I don't believe any of these men in the video have specifically announced their political affiliations.
If they are anything to be 'exact', I would place them in a liberal sense, classical liberalism.

On that note. I think a new wave of evolved left leaning politics is emerging, just like the giants of the twentieth century.

It makes me wonder tho, do far left ideologies bring challenge to the conservative point of view where the norm is ultimately changed? Is left and right politics a ying and yang sort of thing?
edit on 9-4-2019 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Most modern conservatism is classical liberalism. What we call liberalism today is of a decidedly authoritarian bent.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

So would you agree that the political spectrum is consistently evolving?

What is the difference between left leaning politics of the early and mid twentieth century and today's left leaning ideologies?

I can, guess and make arguments with right leaning as well. I think this is where people start to get confused. When people think the left they think of higher taxes, communism, etc. When people think the right they think of control, fascism, etc.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:38 PM
link   

So would you agree that the political spectrum is consistently evolving?

That is true for the Trump conservatives they are welcoming gays and people of every color, and the price of entrance for acceptance is simple, you fully support Trump. 15 years ago that wouldn't have happened, I saw it happen on a micro level since 2008 with Ron Paul but that is not surprising that the libertarians would act like that. For conservatives that was a much bigger jump, but you know what, they have their eyes on the prize of the SCOTUS everything else is static, that is the fulcrum of political control in the 21 century on guns, religion, free speech and abortion, Trump is secondary. They can influence after Trump is long gone this way.

This is why the left is essentially in suicide mode, this wasn't suppose to be like this.
For the left the Blue Dog Democrats are enemies now, which means they have nowhere to go, either stay home or go to Trump.
Look at the 1984 general election map, there has been a huge political movements since then. People are leaving the DNC because the line moved so off center even if they were just slightly left of center and voted for Obama twice, they are now slightly right of center which will have them gravitating to Trump. Political stupidity is like a magnet(people) it either repels or attracts different types of other magnets(people) aligned a certain way.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:44 PM
link   

When people think the left they think of higher taxes, communism, etc. When people think the right they think of control, fascism, etc.

That's a European understanding where the end point of all is the state and total control by the state. In that sense, it matters little how or in what style it takes control; the people always lose.

The American spectrum should more properly go from anarchy (true anarchy = lack of state) to the state. The ideal place is the abolition of as much of the state as possible for an American style Classical liberal. Read the constitution and the Federalist papers in that context. You could say libertarian, but there are too many libertarians who only label themselves as such because they simply want their favorite vices legalized. In short, they want to be libertines, but only so long as the state steps in to subsidize their vices should they fail to support themselves - they want no consequences for their libertinism.

top topics

join