It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The risk of defending others

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Graysen

Am I the only one that seems a little off put by the fact people actually need to put scenarios like this into their daily lives 'just in case'. Why is this centered around gun violence? Is this a real fear in the US, or is this just a precautionary reaction from people who are 'preppers'?

I've been to some pretty harsh places and walked the streets, (for food funny enough) Port of spain, Kingston, Chicago, the rough areas of Toronto, areas around Korea town in LA, just a few, and I've never seen a gun pulled or even heard gun fire. I've seen plenty of fights, and knives thrown around, but never guns. Maybe I'm lucky?

Or...maybe you just have an air of confidence about you?

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: Lumenari

What is the main intention of a firearm?

To intimidate and or kill someone/something.

posted on Apr, 13 2019 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lr103
a reply to: Graysen

And what about the psychological cost of defending, ...or not... what is the cost of living decades after the event realizing in hindsight that you could have helped but didn't for whatever reason....or did help but someone innocent got hurt, and you lived.... or you get killed and the people in your life miss you forever... guilt weather justified or not can weigh heavy on a human... You have posed a very complex question, Why I love ATS.

You just described every WWII vet, I ever met... including my uncle, who got a bronze star for killing Nazis and calling in artillery fire on tanks...winning a battle/ taking a town, a week sooner than the plan called for.

We only learned this after he died a few years ago, when we found a letter to his mother...my grandmother... telling her what happened. Those guys never really talked publicly about it much. All their stories we're about inconsequential things...but the damage was politely ignored, in most cases.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
It depends on my situation I guess.

If I was in my small town when a crisis arose, I would probably intervene out of instinct.

When I am in Metroplis, down by the university or near the "alternative ghetto" around campus, I'd probably just hide and protect myself.

The risks of defending yourself (with any method) are so profound I would only do it for family and friends (like in my small community).

I guess I'm saying I probably wouldn't risk my life for strangers anymore.

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 11:32 AM
link   
guy probably didn't need to hire expensive defense lawyers for this ... the case was probably fairly clear ... could have just used a court appointed lawyer ...
edit on 15-4-2019 by EraTera2 because: grmr

posted on Apr, 15 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: EraTera2

It wasn't a criminal case, but a civil one. They sued for all his property and his future earnings, plus his pension. It Texas, if you don't defend against it, the judge rules that you are not contesting the claim.

posted on Jun, 21 2019 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Everyone on the other side won't let you have a word in.

posted on Jul, 25 2019 @ 10:30 PM
link   
The risk of defending others is that everyone will eventually hate you and want you dead.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join