It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American's wierd feelings about social media

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I was watching Meet the Press and Chuck Todd talked about data having to do with American's feelings toward tech and also social media. The data revealed that we have in general good feelings towards Amazon,Google,Apple. But now go to feelings about social media and the feelings are not so good: the data said that only 24% of American's have a positve feeling towards Twitter and 36% good feelings towards Facebook.

The list of the negatives were that 55% percent belive that these social media platforms spread lies and flasehoods. 61 percent believe they spread unfair attacks and rumors, 57 percent say the platforms divide us, and what shocked me was 82% believe its a waste of time.

But get this 69% of American's use social media at least once a day.

WHydo we participate in such a destrcutive platform? Or at least if we believe it is a destructive platform why do we participate in it??

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

Because people are stupid.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:47 PM
link   

97.3% of Americans use social media for 2 things.

Amusing memes.

Side boob pics.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: American-philosopher
I was watching Meet the Press and Chuck Todd talked about data having to do with American's feelings toward tech and also social media. The data revealed that we have in general good feelings towards Amazon,Google,Apple. But now go to feelings about social media and the feelings are not so good: the data said that only 24% of American's have a positve feeling towards Twitter and 36% good feelings towards Facebook.

The list of the negatives were that 55% percent belive that these social media platforms spread lies and flasehoods. 61 percent believe they spread unfair attacks and rumors, 57 percent say the platforms divide us, and what shocked me was 82% believe its a waste of time.

WHydo we participate in such a destrcutive platform? Or at least if we believe it is a destructive platform why do we participate in it??

88% of all threads here on ATS are destructive. social media shows the reality of our species: maybe 15% are arseholes. but most people around the globe use social media to connect with others and make new friends.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Because likes and notifications stimulate the same area of the brain that gambling/drugs/alcohol do. In other words...its an addiction.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

dopamine hit.

This message board likely qualifies I think. The more star and flags you receive, the more dopamine hits you get.

I was only on facebook for one thing, that was to help save shelter animals. But the place is TOXIC. I finally pulled my profile for my own well being.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: toolgal462

Deffo! I peek at mine sometimes. Eta....all the time actually. Peeps wanna be popular ya know. Lol

I only use FB for the forums now. Mostly car stuff and for sale boards.
edit on 7-4-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I believe it is ego and/or a sense of belonging...and now-a-days even addiction perhaps, literally.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Heres a study on the dopamine effect. Even FB designers knew what it would do. The feedback loop.

sitn.hms.harvard.edu...
edit on 7-4-2019 by lakenheath24 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I can only speak for myself but FB is a fantastic resource for my family and friends to keep in touch, I use it more than ATS.
Need something? One post will ask all your friends at once, and then you have group chat which is brilliant.
Most of my circle don't use our real names, just nicknames, and everything I post I'll tell anyone in public so if there was a data breach I wouldn't give a toss.

To the member who thinks FB users are stupid I say no more than ATS users are, I even prefer arguing with trolls on local FB pages because when they go all keyboard warrior I can invite them to a local pub to discuss it further lol.
Unlike ATS where everyone is anonymous and mods censor as they wish...so if you cry dopamine over likes on FB it's no different to stars on ATS.
At least on FB you know who clicked like.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Now that ATS has gone all in for trump, I find myself going to social media for an actual "fair and balanced" opinion source.

edit on 7-4-2019 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

And this is the problem with any kind of poll in today's world. The subjective answers are what people think they should say based on perceived popular opinion. The administrative questions are probably answered the most honestly.

"Do you trust social media?"
No, its divisive and destructive and it hurts people and we should all hug and sing cumbaya"

"Do you use social media"
"Oh yea, every day..."

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:15 PM
link   

We are social creatures and like it or not...generally sheep. We crave attention, adoration, acceptability, admiration, connection, synergy, and most of, that we belong.

What used to be community amongst going outside and meeting people, it is replaced with feeling that via social media. We can expand our spheres to not just our neighbors, but across a continent or even an ocean.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24

Heres a study on the dopamine effect. Even FB designers knew what it would do. The feedback loop.

sitn.hms.harvard.edu...

Tucker Carlson has spoken about it a few times. He says that all the tech giants don't allow their own children to use their products because they know how bad it is for kids. They don't allow them iphones or ipads.

Social Media has definitely had a detrimental effect on the young mostly.

Now that you mention it, I do miss facebook for my Tool groups and garden/old home groups and the local sale pages!

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:22 PM
link   
FB is an online resource which if used sensibly cannot really be beaten yet, only post what you don't care if there was a data breach.

Recently I wanted to go to a musical and knew none of my male mates would want to come so shouted on FB. Within minutes I had multiple offers from girlfriends then even free tickets for the show from another friend who works in the industry.
Prior to FB I would have had to make multiple phone calls [/yawn]

If there is a gig or event/gathering coming up then everyone knows about it, all sorts of great uses for keeping in touch and assisting with real life social group activities.
I don't care what FB knows about me from my posts and messages...anything secret is still done face to face.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Now that ATS has gone all in for trump, I find myself going to social media for an actual "fair and balanced" opinion source.

I'm sure you are a star there. I bet you unfriend those who dare say anything positive about the "Orange Hitler".

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

"use" social media means to log in and check up on things.

I think people are monitoring stuff more than they used to. People are aware of the game being played.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ownbestenemy

Today is Sunday, so I identify as a Golden Retriever.

But to your point...i did not go all ape poo when we went to grandmas house. Even though she liked me.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Let's see, I have been using Facebook for over a year now. No lies have been spread by my friends. Lots of jokes and pictures of their trips, pictures at concerts, reviews about the food at restaurants, pictures of cats and dogs doing stupid things, and lots of pictures of old cars from some that like sixties cars.

No lies, some parroting of fake news occasionally, but mostly just people joking and showing off what they did on vacation. At least the new age people do not have to go look at slides and movies at people's house after they got back from trips. We can sit in the comfort of our own homes and watch what people post. No free coffee and cookies now though, you have to make your own.

I think the lies are on MSM, but of course, MSM has people to deflect this to make it appear that those on Facebook are causing all the bad stuff. Nothing usually seems to happen on facebook, people are using their own name, everyone knows who you are.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

97.3% of Americans use social media for 2 things.

Amusing memes.

Side boob pics.

What? How come I never see any Side boob pics? I must be in the wrong group of people.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join