It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hungarian Researchers Claim to See Biosignatures in Martian Meteorite

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Dr. Gyollai and co-authors analyzed a thin section of ALH-77005 by optical and FTIR-ATR microscopy.

They were able to detect the presence of coccoidal and filamentous structures (probably built by iron-oxidizing microbes); organic material; biogenic minerals, like ferrihydrite, goethite, and hematite.

“The other signatures for biogenicity of ALH-77005 are strong negative δ13C, enrichment of iron, manganese, phosphorus, zinc in shock melt support scenario,” the researchers said.

“Our study proposes presence of microbial mediation on Mars.”

The team’s paper was published online in the journal Open Astronomy.

Hungarian Researchers Claim to See Biosignatures in Martian Meteorite

Here is a link to the website De Gruyter, where you can download a PDF of the complete research paper for free. Mineralized biosignatures in ALH-77005 Shergottite - Clues to Martian Life?

Here is a cut and paste of the Conclusion in the PDF along with an image from the paper.

The microbial alteration occur only in recrystallized shockmelt pocket and near to opaque minerals. Microbial me-diation along rims and fractures of coarse grains are notpresent, which dismiss the terrestrial alteration origin.

Themicrobial mediation by FeOB is supported by 1) morphol-ogy (coccoidal, filamentous form of FeOB; 2) presence ofembedded organic material (aliphatic CH, PAHs); 3) en-richment of bioessential elements (Fe, Mn, P, Zn); 4) neg-ativeδ13C values (−36%). The other Martian meteoriteshave similarly strong negativeδ13C values (−29 -−36 %)and alteration by Fe-rich clays, iron-oxi-hydroxides.

Comparing recent results and interpretation withother meteorites, it can be concluded, that on these simi-larities the microbially mediated biosignatures can be pro-posed microbial mediation by FeOB on Mars.

This is the Martian meteorite aka Allan Hills 77005, Allan Hills A77005, ALHA77005 and ALH77005.

A very slim slice of the meteorite was studied with optical microscopy and by FTIR-ATR. Biosignatures were found in this meteorite.

Lot of promising research has been published in the last decade showing evidence for life on Mars. Older data is being reexamined and new discoveries are being made.

There is also the Martian meteorite Allan Hills 84001. This meteorite led NASA to announce life on Mars and then walk it back.

Twenty years ago, NASA scientists and their colleagues announced they had spotted possible signs of Mars life in a meteorite. The claim ignited a scientific controversy that lingers to this day.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Did NASA actually refute their own claim?

Nice thread. I would bet money, that life on Mars didn't stop at the microbial stage.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Archivalist

It looks like a gasping frog.
Where's the pic from?.
edit on 7-4-2019 by MyToxicTash because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 04:07 AM
link   
a reply to: MyToxicTash

Curiosity, from a somewhat recent image batch.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyToxicTash
a reply to: Archivalist

It looks like a gasping frog.

LOL

I had to look at it for a minute to see what you mean but once I did....hilarious!

posted on Apr, 8 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if they will be forced to begin disclosure if other organisations, bodies and governments are going to make headway first.

posted on Apr, 9 2019 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ziplock9000
Makes you wonder if they will be forced to begin disclosure if other organisations, bodies and governments are going to make headway first.

Disclosure of what? Honestly. I am in my 40s and I have been hearing this disclosure nonsense for years and I just don't think there's anything there. I don't see any reason why they would hide anything from the public. "Ohhhh! Life on Mars! There's life on Mars Jimbob!" "That's cool. Let's eat".

top topics

join