It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

35 Years of Aviation...in the Toilet.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Perhaps I am alone, and so it shall be. I started in this business flying King Airs and Convair 580's. Got my hours and graduated to turbine jet ratings with Citations, and then type rated with MD-80 and... It doesn't matter, I sat there in the simulator with the Super DC-8. All the new planes were out there, the Airbus A320...it was a different world. I'll never forget sitting there in the sim for the DC-8 at the UA Flight Training Center in Denver.. They threw everything at me they could. My heart was gone. The future was before us.

I came around and landed...for the last time. The world I believed in was gone.

The sunrises were cool, making tracks in the sky was cool, but...no one cared.

I thought I could do more. I was just a glorified bus driver. I could do more. I believed I could, and I do.

(flight attendants aren't all that)

Guys, you will never know all I (and so many others) have done to make the aviation world safe. I've tried soooo hard. I develop all your landing systems, all your radars, all your comms. I've tried to make this a better place, a safer place.

You can throw me away, It's okay...but I believed. All these automated systems, as much as I disagreed, I tried to make them as safe as they ever could be.

Always in the night, never rest, we've tried to make this aviation world safe, and so have the many pilots. It ain't easy.

I just wonder what will happen when the time comes, I'm gone...will anyone care, like I have. Will the next generation understand?

My voice will be lost in not so long.

I don't see anyone out there.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Have you tried to talk to the people who are in your career field about this?

Is there anyone that you can take under your wing? No pun intended.

If not, then maybe you are right.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: highvein

Naw...everybody now just want's 15 minutes and a FPV video game.

Nobody wants to spend the time it takes to truly understand this business.

It's complicated, and it takes longer than...15 minutes.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 06:57 PM
link   

It's the way of the world now. Very sad and discouraging.

However, do understand that all the years that you worked trying to make a difference and keeping the safety of others in mind - you DID make a difference then and it did matter. Hang onto that and rest in it. It matters what you have done before now.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Naw...everybody now just want's 15 minutes and a FPV video game.

Nobody wants to spend the time it takes to truly understand this business.

?
Your skill is important. Why even play with the big boys anymore? Think of all of those small island jumpers in the Carrib. Fun to fly, but there are terrible strips that really require an experienced pilot with "seat of the pants knowledge" to provide safe transport for so many people. Too many kids doing this today...and a lot of mis-haps. Why not have your cake and fly it too!!!!
edit on 6-4-2019 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

That's your answer innit?

inherent instability of the engine/wing configuration remains..../optional extras?..feck me!
What's the threshold for a company to be so big that lives become cheap putting people in a bird that can't fly.
Has fear of flying now become..not a syndrome, or conspiracy, but a genuine expectation of doom if flying digits can't live up to expectations by some default?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Hell, I thought you was just a farmer?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I would be slightly surprised if you can still hear if you flew many hours in the Convair 580 !

When they started the push button mentality and full automation ie being system monitors instead of pilots with stick and rudder skills I just figured they were going (one day in the future) to a pilotless aircraft or have one system monitor person with a wire stuck up their butt that would shock them if they touched anything.

There is a time for automation and the nav systems we have today are light years ahead of what we had back in the 80s and 90s.. For many years I flew across the Gulf of Mexico using only an ADF and always found my destination but it was nothing like what is available today.

We get old and die and the new generation stands on the shoulders of those who went before thinking they have it all figured out. Sometimes for better and sometimes for naught.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:14 PM
link   

35 Years of Aviation...in the Toilet.

Is that what that was... We thought it was a meteor.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:20 PM
link   

I think humans have a way of taking everyone and everything for granted.

Even I'm guilty of acting like flying can be a chore even though it gets me half way across the country Ina few hours.

Thank you for your efforts or making it so safe and so accessible I feel entitled to it 😂.

Serious joking aside, you'll always have your satisfaction and pride, F what we think.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Dang, what haven't you done!
I thought it was that many years in the ranching business and other businesses too. Am I remembering wrong?

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Flying they say gives a feeling of freedom, perhaps you shall be happier with your own plane flying your own way free to roam the sky's.

As for automation, oh fine it shall indeed replace pilot's but it has no soul man, it does not have free will and it shall indeed make mistake's leading to disasters.

Take the recent Ethiopia disaster, a machine does not feel a responsibility to the passengers, to there family's or to the people on the ground, it has no empathy and it is not alive with no awareness only a set of computer calculation's based on data provided by transducers/sensors that may themselves be far from perfect, sensor's that may measure atmospheric pressure wrong, mistake altitude over ground and and a program that is so inflexible that it will do what it has been programmed to do no matter the consequence even over riding pilot's whom try to save there passengers as happened in that crash.

Machines may indeed replace people as pilot's, pilot's and workers BUT they will never BE people, they will never feel the rush of flying or the sense of freedom you did, they will never have a soul but like an intricate clockwork they will simply do what they are made to do, what there flawed designers and programmers designed them to do.

And machines will never have a true independent motive beyond there limited clockwork subroutines, they will never have intuition or a sense of danger, they will never have free will or a sense of responsibility to those whom rely upon them for there safety.

But greed demand's them, greed and selfishness demand's that these clockwork slaves replace the workers but then without those workers whom will buy the product, want to travel to deal with other human's when all the human's are gone.

It is not yet too late to pull the plug on AI but humanity is like a sleep walker moving toward a cliff edge.

Imagine though you flew yet you did so as a driver, a pilot and just imagine what it must be like to feel the wind under your wing's, to see the smallest movement and detail at a huge distance and to be able to move from a lazy hover riding the thermals to a high speed dive upon your prey, to be able to land like a kestrel and to then carry our prey off - but then imagine how boring it all must be for a bird that has a brain so small it has no rationality or ability to empathize or to wonder what that horse that is running across the plane's so fast feel's.

And remember even if the last page is closed your book is still so much more interesting than a hundred book's written from the point of view of a kestrel or a horse - let along a soulless consciousness devoid computer program will ever be.

Humanity has been flying ever since it wondered what the stars were and watched with envy as the birds flew through the air but only really in there heart.

And it is in your heart were flying really matters.

As for the system that caused the crash over in Ethiopia, was it the software or the sensor's that made it fail.
Was it the system designer or a cheap skate budget cutting manufacturer that used substandard part's and then said they were fit for purpose.

On a flow chart at which stage in the process did the system malfunction, what caused that malfunction and was that an oversight on the part of the system designers or a fault at the manufacturing stage or simply a lack of data were more sensors and more data could have allowed a more accurate analysis of the planes situation and environmental parameters preventing the automatic system from diving the plane into the ground - if so was it down to time constraint's and budget limitation's or was it genuinely a badly designed system as to my mind the concept is sound just it's execution seem's to have gone very wrong on these two occasion's.
Should the system have had a parameter that would not allow it to cut in if the altitude over terrain was too low, should the system have been a part of a number of system's prioritizing different system's at lower altitude in order to prevent this tragedy were more appropriate system's would have taken over at those lower altitudes and prevented this one from executing it's function as it did with such tragic result's.

And can any person ever be held solely responsible for what seem's to have been a faulty system that was designed with the best of intention's and which they genuinely believed would actually save lives.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I just got to fly a Cesna for about twenty hours with an instructor, I started with a bi-plane, but the heater sucked in that one. It would be fun to fly in the summer I suppose, on that one trip I was in a strong headwind and was going backwards at eighty miles an hour. I never realized you could fly backwards.

I hated the headwind, I was coming in for a landing with a forty mile an hour headwind and it stopped, Cool how the plane just floats down from side to side. I am glad I had the instructor with me, he hit the gas and nosedived it towards the runway. My heart was pounding for hours, I quit flying that day, he said I can start soloing after we landed, I think he was afraid of flying with me.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shockerking
Hell, I thought you was just a farmer?

Rancher.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

Have you read through the thread that discusses the Ethiopian crash? If not, take a read through it, as it discusses and answers some of the questions you posed. I don't know how to insert a link but it's called "Another 737 MAX-8 down."

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:12 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on making it better? Just less automation, or making the automation safer, or? From the thread about the MAX, it really seems like Boeing cut corners and the FAA let them. Do you think that is a situation that has become standard practice, or was it an anomaly? Sadly I think I can guess the answer.

Is there ANY hope? 😕

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

I started raising cattle because it was the exact opposite of the world I worked in.

I work in the highest technology world imaginable, the world I live in there is so intense it's almost unimaginable.

I dared my entire family once, I would do something different and so incomprehensibly different they would never understand. I always wanted to do it too.

I have two feet, and one is rooted in technology...the other is rooted in the most simple world imaginable.

It grounds me.

Sorry most cannot understand this.

I hope you understand.

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:31 PM
link   
DBL
edit on 4/6/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
A song... I don't do drugs, never have, but this song says a lot..

It says a lot about being lonely, and all the cool stuff you see when no one else can see it. All the things you could talk about in a bar somewhere, and someone would think it's cool...for a moment, but then you have to go.

So, you work as hard as you can, but at the end of the day, today, it's just a "sad song"

posted on Apr, 6 2019 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Understood.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join