It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump urges GOP to consider a 25-cent hike in the gas tax

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Puppylove
a reply to: musicismagic

I know we are lead by the insane, all it takes is look at bicycle laws to tell me that.

It's illegal to ride a bicycle on the sidewalk, yet...

If a bicycle and a pedestrian happen to clash, which would be rare, the worst that happens is a few broken bones. Maaaaybe death in like rare circumstances.

Meanwhile...

If a car clashes with a person on a bicycle, 9/10 the person on the bicycle is roadkill, just like my cousin ended up.

I'd love to have a bicycle, but unlike when I was young, as an adult I'm expected to ride in the street, slowing up traffic, causing road rage, and being more at risk from death from automobile.

At least this state is adding bike lines many places, I'm fine with that. Basically oversized sidewalks where because it's called a bile lane, bikes can actually ride on, unlike the sidewalks... still illegal.

I've been riding a bike for a bit over 25 years here. America should adopt bike path or sidewalks where they can ride. It works fine here. But I think Americans are too bit weird to when it comes to common sense these days.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I didn't hire Donald Trump to raise taxes. I hired him to improve efficiency.

A gas tax is the surest way to create inflation/recession. Every single product must be shipped, most several times, before being sold. That shipping cost goes into the price. People have to drive to get to work, and that means people will have less money for things besides gas. If people have less money to spend, less money is spent and less goods are needed. If less goods are needed, less people are needed to produce them.

Maybe he's trying for a deal, but he shouldn't overestimate the trust people have placed in him. We can always find another champion, and it's going to get worse the more we have to go through. You guys think Trump is bad? Maybe we should try electing President Judge Roy Moore... or Pat Robertson is looking for work, I hear...

TheRedneck

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: Agit8dChop
I like fuel taxes...

everyone drives, politicians, rich, poor..

25c per litre? whats the big deal.. so dont buy 1 extra coffee latte a week

if everyone in the US was contributing to this tax it could generate a lot for safer roads and debt reduction

It's a tax that would hurt the poor and middle class the worst.

That is somewhat true, but that is somewhat true of almost any tax, excluding so called "luxury" taxes.

Any tax is normally just passed down the line to end users/consumers.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Without reforms to get congress to slow down spending like a drunk sailor at his first port call in 6 months any increased revenue is a waste.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Without reforms to get congress to slow down spending like a drunk sailor at his first port call in 6 months any increased revenue is a waste.

It's not the spending, in and of itself, that bothers me. Great things could be accomplished for our nation if it were spent in an efficient manner.

The waste, however, borders on criminal.

Just one example, it costs taxpayers $775 per day to provide accomodations for every illegal unaccompanied juvenile in custody.

www.cnbc.com...

Seriously? You could pu someone on a cruise ship and tour the world in high style for that kind of jack.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

They could save on bicycle lanes in lots of places by just making the damn sidewalks legal for bicycles. In my opinion the only time a bicycle should be on the road is when there is no bicycle lane or sidewalk. Our laws are ass backwards where safety is concerned.

As for the bicycle lane thing. Yeah lots don't like them. I do opens up more bicycle and walking routes that didn't exist before. I like walking and such. Purely self serving on my part wanting to be less limited in healthy routes to get places.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 08:57 AM
link   

They could save on bicycle lanes in lots of places by just making the damn sidewalks legal for bicycles.

No. Cyclists, like vegans, should stay in the street and get run over, no one likes them.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

They could save on bicycle lanes in lots of places by just making the damn sidewalks legal for bicycles. In my opinion the only time a bicycle should be on the road is when there is no bicycle lane or sidewalk. Our laws are ass backwards where safety is concerned.

As for the bicycle lane thing. Yeah lots don't like them. I do opens up more bicycle and walking routes that didn't exist before. I like walking and such. Purely self serving on my part wanting to be less limited in healthy routes to get places.

Oh, don't misunderstand. I like, and frequently use bike lanes. Where I live (South FL, near the beach), there are many, and are well used.

I just don't think they are practical, from an expense standpoint, in most areas of the country. We can do it here because tourism $ drives a fair part of our economy, and it's almost always weather friendly for ppl to be outside.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

I don't know what to say about the legality of bikes on the sidewalk. I know many places have sidewalks only on one side of the street, so two way bike traffic could be a problem, I would suppose.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Would rather slow down or move over and accommodate each other than take the risk of the street if I have the option. Granted can't bike for speed on the sidewalk but considering where most sidewalks are they aren't appropriate places for that anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Fix my roads and you're an asshole trump. I prefer to spend my money repairing my shocks and tires NOT ON GAS and an incredibly modest raise on gas (which you can also avoid by driving fuel efficient cars).

Another good move on trumps part. Come on dude, I can see the vein buldging on your forehead from here, we DO need to fix our infrastructure trumps said the whole time. How will we do that? Trumps answer gas tax. Your answer? Hell if I know but I'm not paying for it...

You're usually on the ball.
a reply to: DBCowboy

edit on 7-4-2019 by Rob808 because: Fat iPhone thumbs

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob808

"Infrastructure" is a great catch-all justification for any government to raise taxes.

My contention has always been to spend effectively and NOT raise taxes. Government does not spend our money well. They just take more when their irresponsible spending gets them broke.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

a reply to: Rob808

"Infrastructure" is a great catch-all justification for any government to raise taxes.

My contention has always been to spend effectively and NOT raise taxes. Government does not spend our money well. They just take more when their irresponsible spending gets them broke.

We are already broke, the fix is too late for ANYBODY. So, we might as well start putting on some band aids before the big reset happens. I'd rather have some first aid or triage as I'm waiting for surgery because without it, I might not survive. If I do survive, the recovery still isn't fun and there will be pain to endure in the recovery.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

Still not a justification for government to take any more of our money.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 10:46 AM
link   

a reply to: panoz77

Still not a justification for government to take any more of our money.

I want as little pain in the reset as possible, I'm willing to do my part. I'm a prepper, so I can withstand a decent period of pain, I hope you can too.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

They have a Fusion based Ranchero in the works. And honestly that has me more interested than the 24 mpg Ranger that will cost $32,000+ to have good features like Apple Car Play, bed liner and bed cover.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 10:59 AM
link   

How about a $2 gas tax to fund flying car R&D, then we won’t have to worry about roads?

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar

How about a $2 gas tax to fund flying car R&D, then we won’t have to worry about roads?

Nope, even though flying cars would be totally awesome cool.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Patrick Little 2020.

posted on Apr, 7 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I found out what the stupid highway back and forth is for. They are using our tax money to make a special half pull over lane on the left side to make it easier and safer for cops to give tickets to make more money.
edit on 4/7/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join